WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Does anyone know how the "anti-shock" thing works?

Panzer

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I used to be a pole hater. But after carrying a heavy pack, I finally understand.

Poles work great in keeping balance and increase push off.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I use a Leki Wanderfreund which is a cross between a pole and a cane. I'm surprised that I'm the only person who I've ever seen with one. The handle is superior.

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I've happily hiked hundreds of miles with my single, homemade, padded, strapped, spiked, Sassafras walking stick. Feeling somewhat remedial, I recently bought Leki Super Makalu's.
    Then my reliable (wooden) old friend kept laying a guilt trip on me. Yes it's a magical talking/ walking stick. I got tired of the nagging, so today I took the Leki's back for a refund and will hike Springer to Tray Gap with "Old faithful" in April. By the way, the Leki's never said a word.
    I'm curious how many hikers (%) are still satisfied with sticks? Maybe somebody in Georgia observing the large, constant migration on the AT has a clue.
    I know a place where there are 8608 Leki Poles, and the vast majority talk, though most of us might not understand them. If any of you are into geo-caching here is where you can find them.

Lat 49° 37' 0N
    Lon 21° 40' 0E

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Lat 49° 37' 0N
    Lon 21° 40' 0E

Was curious so typed them into google...Is that in Poland or did I type that in wrong? Whats the story behind it?

Images

geo-caching is cool

but after reading Tinker talk about taking some of the strain of his body- I bought myself a trekking pole. My knees aren't old or arthritic but why make them that way

True to my trail name, I hike with one pole. Since I'm a dumb redneck, I couldn't pronounce it correctly, but it leaves the other hand free for a leash and an umbrella. The leash, I think is for my dog.

Panzer, the Leki "anti-shock" poles work by having a piece of elastomer plastic integrated as part of the connection between the two of the shaft pieces. In this particular model you adjust pole length by twist locking it in position which compresses the elastomer together and outwards against the inner wall of the upper shaft; thus snugging it. Even though it's compressed out, theres still more compress-ability/ shock absorption left.
    It was used allot in some of the earlier versions of mountain bike front shocks. "RockShox" offered variable densities of their elastomer inserts to soften of stiffen the ride.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    Has anyone used actual ski poles to hike wth? Are they strong enough?
    I have used bamboo cross country ski poles for years. They are strong, light and cheap, $3 at goodwill. They have the charachter of wood and the knee/ankle saving of two poles. No voices though....I said I don't hear the voices....stop it, both of you......aaaagh!!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by insider2185 View Post
    Was curious so typed them into google...Is that in Poland or did I type that in wrong? Whats the story behind it?
    Click here

Images

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    I use a Leki Wanderfreund which is a cross between a pole and a cane. I'm surprised that I'm the only person who I've ever seen with one. The handle is superior.
    I've got one. I bought it when I was visiting my parents in NM a few years ago. The hiking around their house was steep enough that I wished I had a stick--and suitable pieces of wood are not just laying around all over the place the way they are in the East--so I went out and bought one. One of the things I liked about it was that it collapsed shorter than the other poles, so I can fit on the diagonal in a small suitcase. I like the cane-type handle, too.

These days, though, I go with two poles--Leki Makalus. They used to seem cold and soul-less, but after being dragged over enough rocks, and saving me from some pretty ugly falls, they've acquired so many nicks, dings, and bends in them that they're old friends now.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I prefer the Hiking stick. One train of thought is besides it's normal trail role it always doubles as an efficient weapon for the would be attacking wild dog, odd rabid racoon, or god forbid evil person.
    Lad I don't know where you've been. But, I see you won first prize!

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I know a place where there are 8608 Leki Poles, and the vast majority talk, though most of us might not understand them. If any of you are into geo-caching here is where you can find them.

Lat 49° 37' 0N
    Lon 21° 40' 0E
    Ok JAK you got a laugh out of me on that one. The best jokes are always a little subtle.

Mike

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

For the first 30 years of hiking a carried my trusted walking stick (AKA broom handel). The last 10 years I've used hiking poles. Being old and very fat I need the support.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Use a single makalu from ~15 yrs ago (gear test). Like it on rocky downhills where I plant it and let my weigh fall in to the shock absorber. Definitely prefer the 'warmth' of a stick, but after this long I am beginning to hear the tinny soul of my leki...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hopefulhiker View Post
    Has anyone used actual ski poles to hike wth? Are they strong enough?
    "Can-Do-Will-Do" grabbed a pair in a Pennsylvania shelter back in '99. He cut off most of the baskets and used them all the way to Katahdin. BTW, he started his section at Harper's Ferry so he did most all of it with those banged up poles.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    I've happily hiked hundreds of miles with my single, homemade, padded, strapped, spiked, Sassafras walking stick. Feeling somewhat remedial, I recently bought Leki Super Makalu's.
    Then my reliable (wooden) old friend kept laying a guilt trip on me. Yes it's a magical talking/ walking stick. I got tired of the nagging, so today I took the Leki's back for a refund and will hike Springer to Tray Gap with "Old faithful" in April. By the way, the Leki's never said a word.
    I'm curious how many hikers (%) are still satisfied with sticks? Maybe somebody in Georgia observing the large, constant migration on the AT has a clue.
    basically the poles are lighter.

Images

During my Shinning Rock Wilderness hike this past weekend and today, one of my brand new Komperdell C3s broke in half while we were practically bushwacking one of the area's more obscure trails. As soon as I got back and cleaned up, I hoofed it over to REI just a couple of hours ago, returned the C3s and got a pair of REI brand "Summit" (the name did it! ) aluminum polls, along with a $43 refund balance from the much more expensive C3 carbon fiber ones. The data sheet at REI states that the lightness of carbon fiber polls has made them very popular, but that they are much easier to break (as I just experienced). So I'll try out these aluminum ones (about 3 oz. heavier apiece) and see if they hold up better.

One $1 used ski pole bought at a thrift store is all I need.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++