WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How do thru-hikers REALLY feel about section hikers?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gold bond View Post
    "How do thru hikers rate section hikers"
    As you may guess, I didn't vote. According to some people, I may be or may have been both at one time, perhaps even both at the same time at one time, although I'm now mostly a day-hiker. I do hope that doesn't make me a has-been.

Quote Originally Posted by gold bond
    To me a hiker is a hiker.
    I'm so glad we can agree with one another. You seem a most reasonable person.
    Last edited by emerald; 07-25-2007 at 13:13.

Images

GoldBond, in answer to your post number 74:

I may not speak for some, but to me a very general definition of a thru-hiker is someone who hikes the entire trail in a 12-month period (others will argue it should be in a calander year.

A section hiker is someone who hikes the entire trail over a number of years. Or is in the process of doing so.

Simple definitions which work for my purposes. In my opinion any further distictions are unecessary and unimportant.

Having done long-distance (not a thru) and currently considering myself as section hiking they are both challanging and rewarding. Hope to continue doing both types.

As far as a thru-hiker cheating, who would they be cheating? The only possibility would be themselves if they did not finish their hike in a way that satisfied their own standards - no one elses' really matter do they? Kinda the essence of HYOH.
    Last edited by Lyle; 07-25-2007 at 15:04.

I couldn't agree more Mr. Lyle! I guess that brings up an intresting question....why was this thread even brought up then?

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

Default truth truth truth alert

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    We human beings are a cancer on mama earth so hypocrites all, let's enjoy it cuz mama has a cure. It won't be long.

Lwolf telling it like it is. years old but more truth to it everyday, I don't think we can do it any other way.

peace
    mf

I completed the Trail via section hiking over 28 years and for me personally, felt and still feel that thru-hiking is more challenging. Most of the reasons & factors have already been discussed. Personally, the biggest advantage to section hiking is picking your season.

I briefly considered a thruhike in '08 to mark my turning the big 6-oh but decided otherwise. I very much dislike hiking in hot humid weather which is nearly impossible to avoid as a thruhiker unless you're uber fast or - like someone I met at the ATC conference - plan a SOBO beginning October 1.

Images

thru HIKER or section HIKER the common thread is HIKER both have pros and cons. There is a mental portion to the thru hiker but the trail has become such a social event (good thing) from when I first started hiking it the trail was a solo event everyone hiked their own hikes, period.

Section hikers have the trail leg problems, you just get them and it's time to leave because you have to get back to reality. I as a section hiker have not had the ability to choose my weather; I take time off work, hike and hope the weather gods will be good to me. In 1992 I got to hike in Hurricane Bob that was a treat!

Everyone should just enjoy their hike and be thankful they can do it.

BTW I leave Sunday for Maine, my last 175 miles and I can’t wait.
    WalkingStick"75"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    Just yesterday, I posted it pleases me to see WhiteBlazers from the middle states posting! I may need to take that back.

sly dog, you strike me as someone who just might be a rapscallion.

hey !

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sly dog View Post
    hey !
    Just read all of your posts. Didn't recall seeing your screen name before. Hope to see it more often!

I couldn't agree more Mr. Lyle! I guess that brings up an intresting question....why was this thread even brought up then?
    Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Surprise, surprise at another thread whose soul purpose is to categorize one type of person against another. What is the point. Do we so desperately need people to dislike. When I'm hiking The Trail or any trail I see other hikers.
    On the AT other hikers are just that, sisters and brothers who on that particular day are called to the trail as I am whether it be for an hour or in the middle of a five month journey.
    What is this vestigal allure to continue to pick out the differences - as skin color or faith or gender or personal proclivities have been in the past.
    A hiker on the trail is more likely to be a kindred spirit than anyone you may meet on the street regardless of which direction they're walking or how long they've hiked.
    There is a more common reference for section, thru or day hikers. It is just simply. . . hikers. By far the highest percentage of people that are good to meet in any walk of life.
    That's why. Even here on WB where one might think they'll find a refuge much like that on the trail, it's still the Jerry Springer/Cruelty TV mindset that thrives and hopes to pit a side against another. So Sad. I thought when I came to this site that I had found an oasis from that energy, a Shangri-la. What I found is feuds over direction hiked, or how to hike the right way, or which group is better. This thread like so many others here isn't of the spirit of the trail or walking in the wilderness. It's how can one feel better about themselves by focusing on who to dislike (hate). It's typed up tabloid TV.
    God how I wish the fingers and souls that typed here were fed by the wonder of the trail, of being amongst the wonders brought by creation.
    Peace

Default How do thru-hikers REALLY feel about section hikers?

Section hikers are funny looking and know even less than the people who hike the wrong way on the trail. LMAO (humor)

Seriously though...I've section hiked many trails including the AT but I've only done one thru hike. It is the thru hike that stands out as a special time for me. There was a distinctly greater satisfaction and sense of accomplishment when I finished it. I still communicate with many of the people I hiked with on my thru. I would encourage anyone who can to thru hike when they retire. It's a good way to reorient yourself mentally and physically for a big change in your life.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    Section hikers are funny looking and know even less than the people who hike the wrong way on the trail. LMAO (humor)

Seriously though...I've section hiked many trails including the AT but I've only done one thru hike. It is the thru hike that stands out as a special time for me. There was a distinctly greater satisfaction and sense of accomplishment when I finished it. I still communicate with many of the people I hiked with on my thru. I would encourage anyone who can to thru hike when they retire. It's a good way to reorient yourself mentally and physically for a big change in your life.
    Well said and thanks for the humor. How one feels about their own differences in how they have hiked and what those experiences meant to them is so much different than judging others for those same differences.
    Does one conceive of their hike for their own meaning or what they think their hike will mean to others?
    So why are opinions so easy to come by on how other people hike their trail? The people that work up opinions so easily on others might spend a little more time looking in the mirror - to see what's right within rather than what's wrong with others. Oh how it gets so ugly - those unsolicited pot-shot opinions.

I have had a question for along time now and never really knew how to approach asking it. Maybe this is the right thread to do that.

What is the definition of a "true" thru hike? After reading quite a few trail journals this season I have to question what's going on as far as a "true thru hike".

My definition of a "true thru hike" is starting at the beginning, north or south, and continuing on the "true" trail only to stop and resupply when needed. Let me give you some examples and maybe it will clarify why I am asking this. I do not want to offend anyone or anybody thats not the reason for asking these questions.

Wonder if...

1. You start and have to get off trail and go home for six weeks due to an injury and start off where you left off?

2. You start at one end or the other and due to whatever reason the time has slipped up on you and you have to go to the other end and start, AKA the flip flop?

3. You have someone meet you at pre arranged places and drive you ahead and you "slack pack" back to the original starting point with a day pack not your backpack? It seems alot of hikers are doiung this...alot!

4. You stay in a town or in a motel and eat at resteraunts one to two days a week...or more? alot of hikers are doing this to "save weight"...I guess.

5. You blue blaze...alot? Taking roads instead of the trail?

I know that everyone has to "hike your own hike" but it seems as though alot of hikers are, for a lack of a better word, "cheating". I just believe that the only way to have truely "thru-hiked" any trail is to stay as true to the trail as possible. This going into towns every night, eating at resteraunts every night, and drinking all night...well I just don't believe thats the way it was "intended" to be.

Trail magic is one thing but it seems as though every year it gets, well, easier to do.

I know I will probably get "blasted" for all this but I just want to know.Again, I do not want to offend anyone or take away from what anyone has done or will do. Maybe I just hike alot differant from others. I won't even take trail magic as a section hiker. I make it very clear to anyone that asks that I am section hiking. If I ever get a chance to thru...I will start at Springer and stop at Kahtadin!
    you referred to those things not being "the way it was intened to be."

For one, i never got the memo on how things were intended to be on the trail, lol. i only go by what i 'intend' to do out there.

why are you so concerned about how others are choosing to spend their time on a trail? does no one invite you into town? poor guy.

what if you hike from georgia to maine, and take extra time to go to restaurants, and binge drink, (only making your hike more physically difficult, in most cases) doesnt that make you more than a thru hiker? going above and beyond? thats extra steps man!

hey Whitefoot HP as we say here in SC, " hit dog hollers!" Good Lord son take it down a thousand!

If you really read my reply carefully you'll seee that It is questions that I am asking, just as the person that started the thread, not making statements or trying to get people to vote.

As the way It is intended to be...well that is and read here carefully, as each person intends it to be. My way of thinking when it comes to hiking is well...hiking! I didn't say that going into towns, drinking and partying was wrong I just don't know what it has to do with hiking. You are right though I did not get any invitation into town...guess I'm not in the popular crowd!

As far as being concerned how people spend thier time in towns there again I'll type slow here (go bulldawgs!) See the thread about the scumbags or rather what alot of hikers are percieving to be scumbags.Guess they got their invites huh?

As far as the extra steps I would rather spend not all but most of nights sleeping after a long day of good hiking. If you got that much energy after a good day of hiking I suggest you find the local trail maint. crew and put all that energy to good use...help out!

The real thing here is if you are enjoying your hike than I am happy for you. I don't get cheated on having a good time when I'm and I surely wouldn't expect you or anyone else to. As long as your being true to yourself and your hike it's all good!!

hey Whitefoot HP as we say here in SC, " hit dog hollers!" Good Lord son take it down a thousand!

If you really read my reply carefully you'll seee that It is questions that I am asking, just as the person that started the thread, not making statements or trying to get people to vote.

As the way It is intended to be...well that is and read here carefully, as each person intends it to be. My way of thinking when it comes to hiking is well...hiking! I didn't say that going into towns, drinking and partying was wrong I just don't know what it has to do with hiking. You are right though I did not get any invitation into town...guess I'm not in the popular crowd!

As far as being concerned how people spend thier time in towns there again I'll type slow here (go bulldawgs!) See the thread about the scumbags or rather what alot of hikers are percieving to be scumbags.Guess they got their invites huh?

As far as the extra steps I would rather spend not all but most of nights sleeping after a long day of good hiking. If you got that much energy after a good day of hiking I suggest you find the local trail maint. crew and put all that energy to good use...help out!

The real thing here is if you are enjoying your hike than I am happy for you. I don't get cheated on having a good time when I'm and I surely wouldn't expect you or anyone else to. As long as your being true to yourself and your hike it's all good!!
    so you do or dont think that going to a restaurant is 'cheating'?

You do or don't think that there is an intended way to hike the trial that some are required to conform to to be outside the realm of 'cheat'?

Images

Oh and like there is suppose to be a difference? I see the word " hiking" didin't get omitted. Hmm...
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Neither is better...just different. I think that the thru hiker at completion, gets a different feeling about his trip than the section hiker, but he or she is no better than a section hiker. I have thru'd twice but have GREAT respect for section hikers because I certainly don't want to go thru that beginning hiker /getting in shape thing only to begin to feel good when the hike is ending.
    geek

Images

As long as you're being true to yourself and your hike it's all good!!
    Unless you happen to be acting like a complete idiot, of course.

Images

Idiots are fine, just as long as they're not hurting themselves or other hikers. Consider them mobile entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmers View Post
    Idiots are fine, just as long as they're not hurting themselves or other hikers. Consider them mobile entertainment.
    LOL! Reminds me of a camping buddy with the trail name Genius , yes he is pure entertainment...no he is not genius.
    geek

Long time lurker, first time poster. The renewal of this thread is very timely for me.
    In '05, Sparkplug and I set out to hike from Springer to Katahdin. We quit our jobs and sold our house. I injured my back in MA, and that was the end of our hike. I was completely devastated. We're back at it every chance we get finishing the remaining miles.
    How I/you/anyone feels about a thru or a section hiker is irrelevant because here's what I've learned: The Trail doesn't care. Whether you're out for a day, a weekend, a week, a month or 6 months, the Trail doesn't care. Whatever you're doing, the Trail is going to go right on being wet, cold, hot, steep, rugged, slippery, beautiful, amazing, overgrown, stunning, challenging, fun, and all those other adjectives that are fitting. Most importantly, the Trail is truly special. We're lucky to be able to enjoy it any way we can for as long or as short as we can.
    So, stop reading this a go hiking.
    Oh yeah, we have about 400 miles to go. See you on top of Katahdin in '08.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++