WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Trail Adopter/ Section Hiker/ Future Thru-Hiker Pathfinder's Avatar
    Images

Question Southbounders Starting in 2010?

I am planning a southbound thru hike starting in mid June of 2010, and I was just wondering who else would be starting at the same time.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~ Winston Churchill

it's coincidental that I would happen to see this post right after I registered on this forum researching a southbound hike in 2010.

I'm currently enlisted in the Navy and am waiting for the end of my enlistment in June of 2010. I'll check back to this thread periodically to see if anyone else is planning this same hike

And here's me thinking it was too soon to start posting for SOBO '09.

I was thinking that maybe I started doing research too soon considering it's two years before. After looking into it more though, I'm glad i've started looking. These forums are a wealth of information and will be helpful for even the shortest day hike that I wind up doing in Hawaii. The most minute things. I've been a board phantom for the past few weeks and have learned a lot.

So, in the opinion of someone who's not hiking till 2010, you're not planning or thinking too far ahead :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cai View Post
    And here's me thinking it was too soon to start posting for SOBO '09.
    09 sobo

Journal Entries
    Images

You know something? you guys don't even have a clue as to what you will be doing in 2010 and here you are planning it all out.

How about just grab a pack and go hike when you have the first opportunity?

Trail Adopter/ Section Hiker/ Future Thru-Hiker Pathfinder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    You know something? you guys don't even have a clue as to what you will be doing in 2010 and here you are planning it all out.

Well actually in May of 2010 I will be graduating high school and will have already applied and deferred a semester from college to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Since I don't have a license I can't just drive to the trail-head and hike, but since 2004 my father and I have taken a week to hike the AT every summer and have hiked southbound thru Maine. If it were my choice I would start right now in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't exactly fit in with the final years of my high school education...

I just started this thread to see who would be hiking south from Katahdin at the same time so I could convince my parents that there are enough people that will hike along with me so that I can complete my goal of hiking from Maine to Georgia solo.
    "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." ~ Winston Churchill

I'll be finishing my enlistment for the Navy June 22nd when I will fly to Maine.

Need to have something to keep me focused on getting out :P

AT Thru hiker in planning! 2011 BABY bjj4287's Avatar

yeeee man... im graduating from HS in july 2010 ... MEGA 2010 BAybe!

AT Thru hiker in planning! 2011 BABY bjj4287's Avatar

oops... *june

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

That's awesome. I loved my southbound hike last year. I don't have anything to compare it against, but I think I like it way better than what I would have done northbound.

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post

That would be nice, but some of do actually have plans for our lives. School/work commitments definitely limit when you can hike. If you know you're going to have a break after graduation, why not plan for it? Then you know you'll get to go.

looking back,the years i spent planning and dreaming before my first long journey are some of my fondest memories. planning too early, no such thing.

hey pathfinder, i may be planning the same thing durring the summer between my college terms

Default Sobo 2010

I am hoping to go SOBO 2010.

I have to find ways to leave my job, support my household while I'm gone and save enough for the trip itself. It's nice to think about the gypsy life, but most of us have obligations.

If I had my druthers, I'd be going 09, but it just isn't possible. So summer 09, I' ll try to get in a chunky section hike.

Maybe I'll run into some of you youngsters in 2010!

Images

I'm planning to start SOBO in June '10 if I can get my leave of absence, and that's a sizable 'if' from what my co-workers have told me.

FYI: if you're thinking about watching the movie 'Southbounders' in hopes of picking up a few nuggets of information, don't bother. I just finished watching it and can state with certainty it, as a learning reference, has a value of absolutely zero.

formerly amazonwoman

I'm probably just going to quit my job. Hope to be completely out of debt and have a good bit of money in the bank by then. SOBO 2010! I'll deal with a job when I get back.
    Dancer (Julie)
    "What saves a man (woman) is to take a step. Then another step." ---Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Images

[quote=Pathfinder;574918]Well actually in May of 2010 I will be graduating high school and will have already applied and deferred a semester from college to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. Since I don't have a license I can't just drive to the trail-head and hike, but since 2004 my father and I have taken a week to hike the AT every summer and have hiked southbound thru Maine. If it were my choice I would start right now in a heartbeat, but it wouldn't exactly fit in with the final years of my high school education...

Im glad theres going to be atleast one other younger hiker doing a SOBO. Im planning a 2010 sobo right after graduation too.

Journal Entries

Planning on a SOBO in mid June 10. Retiring so will have plenty of time to travel.

hope to go southbound in june. just started the planning stage

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++