WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Alabama connects to Appalachian Trail - Troy Messenger

Alabama connects to Appalachian Trail
    Troy Messenger, AL - 24 minutes ago
    At 2 pm Sunday, March 16, the Pinhoti Trail at Cheaha State Park will be connected officially to the Appalachian Trail. A permanent historic marker ...

More...

Hmmm. . . headed SOBO, wondering if I'll have some steam left for the Pinhoti.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

::: Dino gives a high-five to Cuffs and others from the Alabama Hiking Trail Association :::

Damn 'Bama girls.

From this article:

Tom Cosby, chief marketing officer, Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce, said connecting the Pinhoti Trail to the Appalachian Trail is a "pro Alabama view" and has not been sanctioned by the Appalachian Trail Conference but it will happen eventually.

"The Appalachian Mountains end in Alabama and it is an Appalachian Trail so it should end where the mountains end," he said. "One day it will. It's gonna happen."

Cosby said incentives will be offered to the first hikers who hike the "true" length of the AT, beginning at Cheaha and many will, in time, accept the challenge of hiking the Appalachians from beginning to end.
    Looks like the additional recognition that some seek for a network hike...

Images

The ATC isn't about to recommend changing the northern or southern terminus and given the complex network of alliances with other agencies the ATC isn't likely to embrace the corridor concept that is the norm on many other long trails. The AT is what it is - a single path from GA to ME with some alternatives paths to be used during extraordinary circumstances.

The Great Eastern Trail is being developed and will likely replace the AT as the premier eastern trail within the decade. It is a no-brainer to foresee a day when a triple crown mean someone has hiked the GET, CDT and PCT instead of the current AT, CDT and PCT.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Hmmm. . . headed SOBO, wondering if I'll have some steam left for the Pinhoti.
    it'll just be part of the approach. it'll never be white-blazed. the AT will always begin or end on Springer Mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post

The Great Eastern Trail is being developed and will likely replace the AT as the premier eastern trail within the decade. It is a no-brainer to foresee a day when a triple crown mean someone has hiked the GET, CDT and PCT instead of the current AT, CDT and PCT.
    Ridiculous

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Ridiculous
    Whatever

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Ridiculous
    Why?? The AT has always changed. The longer the better.

Default I'm with FD here...

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy nichols View Post
    Why?? The AT has always changed. The longer the better.
    Look at how reluctant the ATC has been to add the Approach Trail to the official AT, as little trouble as that would entail, even with the historical precedent of how the AT used to run further south of Amicalola, to Mt. Oglethorpe. Adding the Pinhoti to the official AT IMO will happen about when the IAT is officially added to the AT, e.g., never.

Oh, and even if the GET were as popular as the AT (something I wouldn't mind seeing), that wouldn't be enough to overcome the inertia of the AT being considered the 1st leg of the Triple Crown. The popularity of the AT is such that NO long (over-1000 mile) hiking trail can be expected to even come close to it for thruhiking within our lifetimes, short of some enormous calamity along the severity of nuclear war, asteroid strike, etc.

Geezer

From this article:

Tom Cosby, chief marketing officer, Birmingham Regional Chamber of Commerce, said connecting the Pinhoti Trail to the Appalachian Trail is a "pro Alabama view" and has not been sanctioned by the Appalachian Trail Conference but it will happen eventually.

"The Appalachian Mountains end in Alabama and it is an Appalachian Trail so it should end where the mountains end," he said.
    By that logic, the Continental Divide Trail would run from Terra del Fuego to someplace in the Northwest Territories, and the America Discovery Trail would run from Genoa to Hispaniola.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    By that logic, the Continental Divide Trail would run from Terra del Fuego to someplace in the Northwest Territories, and the America Discovery Trail would run from Genoa to Hispaniola.
    Through Greenland, Iceland, and the Bering Strait. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

I hope a bunch of trails are created and hook up with the AT. However, NONE of em are ever going to called the AT. Ain't gonna happen.

And if FD actually believes that the GET is going to be "THE PREMIER" Eastern Trail within the decade and that its a "NO BRAINER" that the GET will replace the AT as one of the legs of the triple crown....(I'll be polite and keep my thoughts to myself.)

Images

Aren't you going to summon the rest of the posse and pound FD into the ground? It's getting so predictable that it isn't even entertaining anymore. And you guys wonder why so many people only read at this site and do their posting elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Aren't you going to summon the rest of the posse and pound FD into the ground? It's getting so predictable that it isn't even entertaining anymore. And you guys wonder why so many people only read at this site and do their posting elsewhere.
    Obviously FD, if there are more miles on the official AT, then it will be longer, and therefore better, with more shiny patches to sew into the back of the third drawer down in an attic dresser.
    Duh.

Your friend,
    Warrghy

Default Commuter Trails

With gas and oil prices skyrocketing out of control, and our dependence on Middle Eastern energy sources, we need as many walking trails as possible! The day may come where walking to and from markets, jobs, etc. will be qur best form of transportation!! TRAIL THE NATION!!!!
    Moses

Images

Just home from the ceremony, what a big accomplishment!

Some details: The ATC did send representatives, glad they made it. The AT is where it is. We (the state of AL) just want to have a trail over our Appalachian mountains. We are fortunate that we are able to connect them to the BMT and the AT. The AL tourism bureau was there this morning filming... look for my butt (literally) to be in advertising real soon!

I also thank everyone who came out on this gorgeous day! There were over 50 people that walked the 3/4 miles to the top. (for many this was an accomplishment!)

I also hope many of you will make the trip to see what Alabama has to offer hikers. If I can be of any help getting your trip planned, send me an email!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

How far is it from GREENBOUGH ALABAMA!!!???

NPR this morning picked up on this story with the angle on some Alabamians desiring to extend the A.T.: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=89022308

(No mention of the GET or ECT in the NPR story...)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++