WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    NPR this morning picked up on this story with the angle on some Alabamians desiring to extend the A.T.: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=89022308

(No mention of the GET or ECT in the NPR story...)
    Note that in the NPR story, the reporter erroneously referred to Springer as the "original" southern point. I guess Mt. Oglethorpe's status ended too long ago.

The thing I thought was especially interesting about the NPR story is how they equably and affirmatively used two different pronunciations of "Appalachian".

BTW, how do you get your NPR fix out there? I spend a lot of time around Cumberland and not much from the left side of the dial seems to penetrate deep into the fastnesses of Allegany County.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    ...BTW, how do you get your NPR fix out there? I spend a lot of time around Cumberland and not much from the left side of the dial seems to penetrate deep into the fastnesses of Allegany County.
    An outstanding NPR station here in Frostburg hosted by the university - WFWM radio at 91.9. Venturing from Frostburg, I find that the signal "travels" much better to the east and south; I can still pick it up near the eastern terminus of I-68 and south to Petersburg, WV. OTOH, going west, I lose it in Grantsville.

WFWM features classical music during the day and weekday evenings are creative with different programs featuring jazz, blues, folk, big band, bluegrass. My favorite programming is "Just Plain Folks" Saturday PM from 2-5 with an hour each of bluegrass, folk, and Celtic. It's hosted by Greg Latta, a professor at FSU and an accomplished hammered dulcimer player. During the summer, he gives free concerts at the nearby state parks.

The only NPR staple missing from WFWM is Prairie Home Companion which I listen to from West Virginia Public Radio.

Hmmmm this is all very interesting but one hard and fast fact has been omitted. The termini of and the corridor of the AT is a part of the National Scenic Trails System and can only be changed or altered (eg extended or rerouted) by an act of Congress. Not likely.

it'll be just another blue-blaze off the AT

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    it'll be just another blue-blaze off the AT
    You got it, LW

Quote Originally Posted by hacksaw View Post
    Hmmmm this is all very interesting but one hard and fast fact has been omitted. The termini of and the corridor of the AT is a part of the National Scenic Trails System and can only be changed or altered (eg extended or rerouted) by an act of Congress. Not likely.
    Actually the NPR story (today's bump) had the voice of none other than Dave Startzell saying exactly that.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    An outstanding NPR station here in Frostburg
    Off topic, but I can't help noticing what a fine name you have for your town!
    Frosty

Geezer

Hmmmm this is all very interesting but one hard and fast fact has been omitted. The termini of and the corridor of the AT is a part of the National Scenic Trails System and can only be changed or altered (eg extended or rerouted) by an act of Congress.
    Do you know this to be true, or assuming? I haven't read the law but I doubt it was worded to prevent the ATC from making changes.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Do you know this to be true, or assuming? I haven't read the law but I doubt it was worded to prevent the ATC from making changes.
    I can look up the law in the cfr if you like, or you can do it yopurself. It is public law. Look for the National Scenic Trails Act of 1968.

As to the reroute aspect, the ATC is allowed to do relocations within the corridor but major relos outside the corridor have to be approved.

Journal Entries
    Images

First of all, who in the world wants to listen to NPR, just yuk! And on to the trail. I could care less if they add to the AT, so long as it is a woods trail. Am I right in understanding an awful lot of the Pinhoti includes long road walks? But you gotta take into account I live in the economic area affected by the southern terminus being where it is. We don't want to lose that designation.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodmountainman View Post
    The day may come where walking to and from markets, jobs, etc. will be qur best form of transportation!!
    Move to some place like Philadelphia, New York, D.C., or Boston where that day has already come.

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    Am I right in understanding an awful lot of the Pinhoti includes long road walks?
    "The Vista" blog has an entry quoting someone at length making tasty lemonade from that citrus tree: http://americanhiking.chattablogs.co...es/068418.html

Images

As usual, news has again twisted, omitted or changed words... The AHTS is not pushing to have the AT moved, changed, altered etc to end in Alabama. Our mission is/was to connect to the AT via the BMT, thats done!

NO, the Pinhoti (in Alabama) has few road walks. Its current woods-trail terminus is Bull Gap. There is a land purchase that is less that a year from being completed which will add a huge portion on the southern end. Eventually, we aim to have woods-trail to Flagg Mtn, the southern-most mountain over 1000 feet in the Appalachian chain. This will become the southern terminus. (Dang, now I"ll have to go thru hike this trail again!)

And, just because you dont happen to like NPR, theres no need for the comments (in this thread anyway). Find what you like to listen to and stick with that. To each his own...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Journal Entries
    Images

OK so the Pinhoti in Alabama has a lots of woods trail. How much road trail on the Georgia Pinhoti?

Images

I think there is only 2 stretches of road walk left in GA... a 20 miler and and 25 miler? But dont quote me on that. I do know that the entire route from Flagg Mtn to the BMT junction is fully blazed tho, roadwalks and all!

Geezer

I can look up the law in the cfr if you like, or you can do it yopurself. It is public law. Look for the National Scenic Trails Act of 1968.
    You ought to look it up.

Congress did not take on responsibility for routing trails. They only desginated trails including future trails, some of which still do not exist. They gave responsibilty for creating and routing the trails to the Secretary of the Interior, with only vague guidance (working with State and local officials, preserving historic sites, etc).

It isn't likely that the terminus will change. But if Secretary of the Interior wanted to, he could change it in two seconds with a sweep of his pen.

No act of Congress required.
    Frosty

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    I think there is only 2 stretches of road walk left in GA... a 20 miler and and 25 miler? But dont quote me on that. I do know that the entire route from Flagg Mtn to the BMT junction is fully blazed tho, roadwalks and all!
    That might be OK for some (and don't get mad here when I say this, I mean no disrespect) but if I'm gonna walk on the black top (yellow blaze), I can yellow blaze at home. Just my 3 cents worth. No offense meant.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    NO, the Pinhoti (in Alabama) has few road walks...
    Don't forget the Official Frosty "bypass-the-big-ridge-in-Cheaha-and-go-straight-to-the-restaurant-in-the-Park" Road Walk
    Frosty

Images

No offense taken! The GA PT groups are working their best to get land purchased to make woods trails. its just such a long drawn out process... and of course the land owners think they are sitting on land worth billions, when its really just a chunk of land that could probably never be built on unless they leveled the mountains anyways...

I wonder if trail clubs could impose "eminent domain" and just take the land we want/need for trails? Now that would be a good use of ED!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++