WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Default Eagle Rock Loop Trail

Not really that long of a trail at all... under 30 miles. Still a nice hike through the ozarks. Great nature hike.
    -Jason

Yes it is. It is the first trail my son and I backpacked so it has many fond memories. Also the closest mountain trail for us to travel to for a weekend of hiking. Plenty of places to camp along the trail, plenty of water along the way, and not crowded either, which we prefer. Only problem is the trash we discovered in the winding stairs area which is a popular place to camp. I am sure it is brought in by the locals because no real hiker would carry in a 24 pack of beer.

Did I tell you we saw some bald eagles there on the last trip?

Yes you did, and you are going to be seeing an almost bald dad when we start our SOBO hike soon. Don't worry, I'll be wearing a hat to cover the head, can't do anything about the face though. You better stay in front.

Im gonna probably be the same way. Gives a new meaning to the term ultralight, doesn't it?

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Good to see some other people enjoyed the hike! I loved it. Planning on going back here soon. This summer at some point. Going to walk it the right way this time.... (counter clockwise) I did it clockwise the last time and it takes you STRAIGHT up the hills and winds you down the other side. That was hard work going STRAIGHT up and winding back down let me tell you!

That pisses me off about the trash.. I packed sooooo much of it out with me last time I was at the winding stairs part as well. It was all over those campsites right past that little wall hang that you do on the trail... gives you about a foot and half of space.... rock wall to your left and creek to your right.
    -Jason

Yes the trash is absolutely terrible. I think a lot of the problem is that the Winding Stairs is accessable to people on horseback, therefore they can pack in a lot of things, and they don't always pack it out. One time when we went got to the winding stairs, we found the perfect tent site right beside that big rock overhang. Problem was, there were about three piles of horse terds there......

++ New Posts ++