WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Help!!!!!!!!!!!

If it all weighs more than 28 pounds, leave all non essentials at home!..unless you are big and strong or small and very STRONG.
    Have fun, Sandalwood

After cutting down on alot of the things that everyone has suggested I took my pack to my clinic and the total weight with 4 days food and a little over 2 liters of water in a camelbak bladder was 39.0 lbs. I forgot to pull out the footprint of the tent so this isn't an exact weight but pretty close. Is this going to be too much or should I contiue to try and cut weight? I guess I should always be cutting weight but is this going to be acceptable? I will switch to a lighter bottle for my fuel and as far as my hair goes I don't think it's as easy as "just cut your hair". Anyone with long hair knows what I'm talking about. You guys rock, thanks for all the input.

I started my thru at 50 pounds, and eventually got it "down" to 45 with 5 days of food. So I have no doubt you can start at 39 with no problems and cut it down as you go as you figure out what you really need to be comfortable.

The lighter your pack is the happier you will be, but 39 pounds is not a ridiculous starting weight,. When you get to Neels Gap you will have more experience, will have seen what other people have, and can get some good advice and shed a few more pounds.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Yeah I am kind of amazed that people (mostly men) are advocating one pair of underwear and one pair of socks. Do agree with ditching the liners. But I still believe in three pair of socks and three pair of underwear (eps if you wear underwear hiking. If you plan to go commando you could probably leave one behind)). For health reasons even - women are also more prone to such things as yeast infections and there are chafiing issues (we can discuss this more on the female forum if you want)

Personally, I'd consider cutting your hair so you don't have to deal with the aggravation of snarly hair. But of course that's up to you.

Have a great hike!
    I can't stand hiking with underwear on! It just turns into a chaffing nightmare. I "free-ball" it (I like the term free-ball because it makes my wife giggle) and bring a pair for camp. I agree with 3 socks though, 2 for hiking in and one for camp, the camp pair can back up the work pair, sometimes I rotate them through. Gotta have the body glide!!!!

My
    FeO2

too many clothes.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Never mind that last comment. 39 pounds with food and water is not light, but it's not all that heavy, either, unless you plan on getting new pack, sleeping bag, etc.

How much do you weigh? If you are a male over 150 pounds in weight, I would say go with 39 and see what happens.

I did the Georgia section starting with 42 lbs. because I had just a little too much gear to fit into my frameless pack and had to use my 5-1/2 lb. pack. That was in 2006. I was 52 years old and weighed 210 lbs.

You'll be fine. Just make sure you'll be able to get around camp when the temps hit the low 20's without freezing (a nice down vest under your raingear should do it). I needed a full jacket.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

I am a little over six feet tall and weigh 220 lbs. It's tough to figure out if the clothing will be right. There's so many differing opinions. My concern I guess is getting so cold I'm miserable. I guess if I get too cold I can always set up camp and hop in my sleeping bag, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavy View Post
    ... I guess if I get too cold I can always set up camp and hop in my sleeping bag, right.
    Put on every piece of dry clothing you've got, jump in your bag under whatever cover you brought, make yourself something hot to eat and drink. Then if all else fails, make a fire and tend it all night long. If you get your stuff wet, the fire becomes essential. But on a trail like the AT, where you're hardly ever more than a few miles from a bailout, you can read your map, find the exit and hike like a madman to get to a warm place. To do that you need food, water and not much else.

But, as you will find if you mooch about in here, there are a few places where you can get into serious trouble, mostly on top of the higher mountains and ridges. For those places, the best policy is not to get into trouble there. Don't go up in a thunderstorm. Don't try to get another five miles in before the storm hits. If trouble is brewing, make camp, fix some grub, get your water taken care of, and hunker down until it blows over. Then hike on when the weather is fine, the sun is up and you are well fed, watered and rested.

Thank you guys for alll your advice and support. You've all been so helpful

Default Very good advice!

I am starting on April 5 and am a WB addict at this point. This has been one of the most helpful threads I've read! thanks to all you veterans!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++