WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Foothills Trail - What time of year is best?

See my thoughts/questons in post # 37 here:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...406#post562406

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Default My fav's

I absolutely love FHT in the late Fall and early winter. Or, anytime in the Spring.

Summer isn't bad if you like copperheads....

But----- don't even think about Laurel Fork portion in the heat of summer. It is suffocating. Somehow, the heat and humidity settle in to make the otherwise cool rhododendron tunnel quite miserable--even dangerous. The only good part is you might find a trickle creek to cool off in...then again--maybe not if it is a dry year--nothing til you reach the falls.

I esp like Oct-Nov when you can still smell the wonderful fragrance of muscadines where the bears have trampled them (or maybe they were making wine!) The leaf show is amazing and magical.

In the winter--the views are breathtaking! You can really see the lay of the land and snow is an added bonus!

Spring brings forth the 'sarvis,' the wild dogwoods and the Redbuds. What a treat!!

On the FHT waterfalls are many, the views are wonderful, the terrain challenging, the local history is mind-boggling, the access is easy--what more could one ask?!

As others mentioned in your previous thread----don't miss the spur trails! They hold some of the best views and 'secret spots' for overnights!

ENJOY!!

S
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Images

Personally I like the Foothills trail in the Fall, cooler temps and the leaves are always excellent. I have hiked it in the Winter also, December and January, it can get really cold down by the lake. Just a fun trail to hike.

Images

I did it in March last year and am doing it again last week of March this year. Not crowded, not hot...spring rains make the waterfalls pretty and bathing fun. I like wildflowers and the last week of March is ripe on the FHT! Best time? not sure but to me it's a "good time"

Images

The only really difficult time for me on the FHT is July and August. During those times, I usually sleep all day and hike all night.

Hammocks rock for sleeping in the heat!
    Just hike.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

the old saying is true for the foothills...april showers bring may flowers. hike the trail in may for optimal waterfall beauty.

a fall hike usually doesnt have as high of volume water in the falls because of the common drought-like conditions so often surfacing in the summer months.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

I enjoy it most during March and October but have hiked it during the heat of summer and the cold of winter. Never had a bad trip so far.

Images

I'm starting to be more and more convinced to do the FHT in April and do the 70-mile AT section in October. I appreciate all your comments and suggestions.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Couple of questions about this trail... I picked up the guidebook and map.

How well is the trail blazed?

Are there any shuttlers that serve this area?

Thanks!

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Couple of questions about this trail... I picked up the guidebook and map.

How well is the trail blazed?

Are there any shuttlers that serve this area?

Thanks!
    I've heard the 40 miles closest to Table Rock SP is very well maintained, with the Western section less so, but with maps there should be no problem. I do not believe there are any shelters. The other thread on the FHT has a link to some very good maps which I've looked over pretty thoroughly and there is no mention of shelters.

Should be fun! I'm doing the entire trail the week of April 18th.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I've heard the 40 miles closest to Table Rock SP is very well maintained, with the Western section less so, but with maps there should be no problem. I do not believe there are any shelters. The other thread on the FHT has a link to some very good maps which I've looked over pretty thoroughly and there is no mention of shelters.

Should be fun! I'm doing the entire trail the week of April 18th.
    Sounds like fun. I'll be on the AT between Damascus and Erwin that week but would appreciate a trip report when you get back if you don't mind.

I'd also be interested in how much traffic is on the trail (compared with the AT). As the AT gets crowded with thru hikers I'm more and more interested in trails that have potentially less traffic - like this, Uwharrie, etc.

How are you going to handle transportation? There's a list of shuttlers on the FTC website but that list is pretty old. I did get an email back from one of the people on the list..... He said that either terminus was ok to park at to hike the entire trail but that Table Rock was probably the safer of the two.

Images

I'd also be interested in how much traffic is on the trail (compared with the AT). As the AT gets crowded with thru hikers I'm more and more interested in trails that have potentially less traffic - like this, Uwharrie, etc.
    That's exactly why I decided to flip flop the two hikes I've planned this year. I was going to do Sam's Gap to 19E the last week in April and thought, man I'll be slap in the midst of the thru hiker wave - a great thing (maybe) if you're one of them, but not something to seek out if you're not doing a thru and like solo hiking and solitude. Now I'll do the above AT hike in October.

How are you going to handle transportation? There's a list of shuttlers on the FTC website but that list is pretty old. I did get an email back from one of the people on the list..... He said that either terminus was ok to park at to hike the entire trail but that Table Rock was probably the safer of the two.
    Yes, I've left a message with one of the shuttlers on the FTC list. I plan to pay for a shuttle, leaving my car at Table Rock right by the Ranger station, and starting at Oconee SP. I also just ordered the Guide Book today from FTC.org. I will definitely post a trip report upon my return, and some pics too!

Images

Scheduled my shuttle with Heyward Douglas this morning. Sounds like, as a past Chairman of the Conference he knows the trail very well. Said he would fill me in on his secrets and best campsites during our two hour drive from Table Rock to Oconee SP. Can't wait!

Was on the River section last weekend scouting a fishing camp. It was great.

Redwood, Easy, Goldbond and myself did about 50 miles of the Foothills Trail over New Years 06 and RW and I finished the last 20 miles in August.
    In the winter the views are great, not too cold and NO BUGS!
    In Aug. the river was wonderful for swimming and plenty of water along the way.
    Have Fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    during our two hour drive from Table Rock to Oconee SP. Can't wait!
    it takes 30-45 minutes to make this drive. this guy will be driving 30 mph if he is doing it in 2 hrs.

amongnature.blogspot.com

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

There are no AT-style shelters, but there are ample pre-hardened campsites. Most are listed in the guidebook. You can also camp elsewhere if you want.

If you go during May-October, and you hit a hot spell (not uncommon), the beauty is somewhat overshadowed by the oppressive heat and humidity.

The FHT is very well-blazed.

Images

Not true on "You can Camp wherever you want", I believe it is the Sumter National Forest you can't camp, their aren't any campsites in this section any how. I couldn't find where it says that in the book, it must be on the map...............

Read the section from Bad Reek to Sloan Bridge or The Fork Mountain Spur.
    There is a place in that area you are not suppose to camp.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++