WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Where's Kirby?

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I just added today's journal entry.
    Kirby's Journal: There were a few climbs that made me curse the GATC.
    Good job.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dances with Mice View Post
    Good job.
    I was referring to the 1/4 of a mile stretch up Levelland mountain that was practically straight up, and then all those little bumps afterwards where the trail went straight up and down.

Besides that, the trail in Georgia has been quite nice, slackpack tomorrow.

Kirby

Images

I was referring to the 1/4 of a mile stretch up Levelland mountain that was practically straight up, and then all those little bumps afterwards where the trail went straight up and down.

Besides that, the trail in Georgia has been quite nice, slackpack tomorrow.

Kirby
    Ah, that must be the 1/4 mile up out of Tennastee Gap? I stood at the bottom of that looking up and sobbing. It had been a bad day, it was hot, and I was almost completely out of water. My knees were literally in my face as I climbed and my oversized pack was shoving me head to the ground. I hated each and every step of it..........and in a few weeks I'm going to do it again. It's a sickness.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Way to go Kirby!!
    I like this thread and hope it keeps up;not because we are worried
    about you but because we are proud of you! Just stay away from
    lightning and dont tent under a tree with dead limbs on it.You can
    do it!
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Another 'group' bites the dust. And the beat goes on.....
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    That's ok. I've always felt that Kirby was quite a bit ahead of the 'group' mentality anyhow........

HAPPY HIKING KIRBY!!!
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    I am still hiking with them, I am meeting them in Hiawassee on Tuesday.

My Dad has informed me that he will pull the plug on my hike if I get seperated from them, so I need to be in their vicinity, I enjoy their company anyway.

Kirby

My Dad has informed me that he will pull the plug on my hike if I get seperated from them, so I need to be in their vicinity, I enjoy their company anyway.
    What happens if folks in the group start dropping out? Hopefully it won't come to that. I guess it behooves you to keep that group intact.

Kirby
    you ARE separated from them

Images

Kirby
    An interesting statement, for sure! I know hiking with someone doesn't ordinarily mean hiking 2-abreast, but I hope father and son are in agreement on what hiking "with them" means. Could lead to some issues.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Hmmm... sounds like Kirby and Dad are coming to an agreement about what constitutes 'hiking with'. Many who do not hike don't understand the reality of different hiking speeds and think 'hiking with' means within sight and sound of other hikers. Most of us who have hiked with others know this doesn't work well in reality. In Kirby's situation, there are hundreds of folks all up and down the AT watching out for him as well as his group. Many of us are parents on this site and know how Kirby's Mom and Dad are feeling about now. We would be all over the situation should the need arise.

he and his "group" are 4 days apart and it sounds like they haven't hiked together

The whole idea of having one's hike "monitored" vicariously over the internet... strikes me as weird and kinda creepy. OTOH, it looks like Kirby enjoys the attention.

Kirby,

If it comes down to it and your Dad insists you need to stick to your group and they drop out, perhaps you could invite him down to meet and greet any new trail friends that you connect with along the way.

Sticking with a vetted group is just another challenge that can be overcome.

Best wishes for overcoming all of the challenges ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    I think the thread is a great idea, Mrs. Baggins. Many of us have become fond of Kirby and his adventure over the last year's planning. He should be in the Blueberry Patch territory this weekend, my best guess.
    Someone needs to merge Kirby's other thread to give "The Thread" a run for it's money. Not Skidsteer though, he loses posts!

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

It's tough hanging with a group, they go different paces, etc. There are sure to be new friends awaiting you on your journey north also. Hope it works out.

Lookin' good. After Franklin, take it easy on the Stecoah range. 30 miles of tough stuff.

And Mrs. Baggins, I'm right there with ya.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    Actually, it's a mountain up in Maine. I wonder if there's a connection? Did Kirby's family have anything to do with that mountain, or the area? Come to think of it, the mountain was probably named for some famous son. The only Kirby I can find is one Major R. M. Kirby who was commander of the American force in place during the Aroostook War, Ante Bellum dispute with New Brunswick and Quebec (Lower Canada) that fixed the border in that region.
    Well, I know there's a Kibby here in Maine. It's about to have 40 or so 400-foot high wind towers perched atop it. I haven't heard of a Kirby.

Weary

Sounds like you're having a good time, Kirby. Didn't think you would break free of your group until North Carolina. Just keep hiking in a comfortable manner and be respectful of others and you'll continue to have a good time.

I doubt his father will have much of a problem at this point, but the group thing reassured him in the planning stages.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    The whole idea of having one's hike "monitored" vicariously over the internet... strikes me as weird and kinda creepy. OTOH, it looks like Kirby enjoys the attention.
    My guess is that Kirby ran into another bull moose or some other critter and strapped his dad's Satellite Tracking Heart Rate Monitor over it and gave it slap on the rump. Go Kirby.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

The prospect of slackpacking with the iffy weather we are currently experiencing gives me pause. What gear could one have carried forward when winter conditions exist? Well, more than a day's worth of food maybe. Writing materials? Okay. Extra, extra clothes? The book one is reading? The IPod? Better be sure that you carry enough gear so that, if you should be injured so badly that you can't walk out (and, yes, it does happen), then what gear are your first responders (hikers who are coming along behind you) going to have to remove from their packs to keep you warm? Will they then be at risk even though they arrived fully prepared to take care of themselves? So, what is my point? I question slackpacking while we are in winter conditions or the potential for winter conditions. Some call me "MamaSawnie."--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++