WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Yellow Jacket
    Images

What about nail clippers? I know many use scissors, but I can't, especially om toe nails.

I have an all in one setup from Gerber. Clippers, small blade and scissors.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Images

Nice gear, but to much of it, speaking from a lighter stand point.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    I think you would do better with a Leatherman Micra (scissors).
    You would find more uses for a scissors than a pliers. I don't know what you would really do with a pliers anyway on the trail.

Panzer
    I like a separate pair of scissors like you get in a shaving kit, (about 2.5 inches long with blunt ends) rather than the ones on the knives with the very short and sharp pointy ends. Great for trimming beard and moustache, Gauze, tape, etc...

I need to get an new pair as I have about worn my current ones out after about 20 years.

I agree about the ski gear set-up as that's what I normally do and it reealllyy hard to get out of the climb-up ski-down mountain mindset. At least I'm not carrying crampons and an axe !! I've trimmed down on some of the clothes, but the Appalachian Spring worries me some and until I get settled in I'll carry my insurance). A good friend of mine almost died of hypothermia last Nov and that still weighs heavily on my little brain.

Clippers have been added

When you need pliers you really need them and when you need scissors you have a knife.

The sb bag is what it is. The puffy jacket and pants will get me to 20 or so (puff pants are back in) and will be bumped after I get to Roanoke, VA (parents house).

I go through lots of gear so I usually buy stuff with great return policies (most of the stuff here was purchased with credit from other returns).

The bag was expensive (I went to a bar before I bought it), but this thing is bomber and I highly recommend it.

The pack is now fully loaded and ready to go. I'm always amazed at how much the last min. items weigh my pack down and think it's almost best to just pack in 20 min. and go than let it set and collect items.

See ya on the trail 3/15/08

climberdave

Images

Ill be right behind ya, 3/16/08

ClimberDave and Dirty Harry, maybe I'll catch you...I leave on the 17th.

I'd like an opinion from anyone before I post my whole gear list soon. My sleping bag is a synthetic, mummy, 20 degree bag, about 4-5 years old (Kelty). A little heavy, but I don't want to spend the money to replace it and save 1 pound or so. Should I have any big worries about it keeping me warm enough if it drops really low (as in warm enough not to croak or lose toes)?

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Have fun, don't worry about the gear so much. As you seem to have everything you need, but you may have too much (and/or too heavy). Take what you have listed (including those items you've recently added) and you'll be fine. You just might send a few things home and/or replace them along the way. Most folks end up doing that. I'm sure it is very rare for someone to finish the trail with the same kit they started with.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

20 should keep you just fine with your clothes on, just wear a hat to bed, dry socks and don’t sleep directly on the ground. Also, you can use whatever tent/tarp shelter you have as a make shift bivy inside the AT shelters for another layer. If you get really cold just wrap the fly around yourself like a burrito for uber snuggly warmth. I had a friend do an ultra light through hike and he wore expedition weight thermies sierra design rain gear and wrapped himself in an ultra-light tarp at night while on a 3/4 closed cell pad. Too ruff for my aching bones, but you get the picture.

I agree Gear is just that. Many a better person has hiked before me with WAY less stuff and in much better form. I am starting to enjoy the posts of people carying insturments and hope to settle around a fire one night and listen to a sweet mountian lullaby while drinking a fine single malt and watching the stars.

I guess it's just nerves that has me checking and rechecking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++