WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
    Images

Thanks KiOeh for the moral support. I am still looking at a NOBO hike. I will pick up some white sand in Ft. Walton Beach and be the first to start a sand box at Moss Hill lean to. Mentally, the road walks will not bother me at the beginning as I would want to use this time for conditioning. By the time I get to PA, I should be hardened for the rocks of Rocksylvania. Main thoughts are to ensure I don't spend too much time deciding which direction to go at an intersection. As I get closer, I will contact the different trail clubs that I will need help with. I am thinking per restless' post, that I need to find an accurate route through the Cumberland Trail and Pine Trail. I think there is an adequate route for the gap on the Allegheny Trail.

Since you are familiar with the PA sections, is there any hope in the next few years that the state game lands will relax their policy on no camping? If it is an impact issue or a fire question, I am sure that a compromise can be achieved by hiking with no camp stoves or using a hammock for a LNT result. Any suggestions on places to stay during these periods will be helpful.

Also, I plan on doing some advertising to get out the word on the GET. I will start with the local TATC club and as time gets closer, maybe some media coverage. As I work on gear selection and shakedown hikes, I would like to get a pack cover that has the GET logo stitched onto it for a conversation starter. My cover is blaze orange and my sister has an embroidery machine. If I can get permission to use the logo, I would like to stitch it to the cover. As I hike, I will place it so the logo is visible and that will get the word out.

By all means, I am not dead set on being the first to thru hike the GET, it is just that this is the date I picked as I prepare physically, family wise and financially for this endeavor. Much like Hammock Hanger, I read her posts with interest and would benefit from others who might go in front of me. Kind of develop a history for my use. But if indeed I am the first to make the trip, I will record my hike for future long distance hikers to use for their planning needs.

Look forward to meeting you kiEoh. See you on the trail.

There might be some progress in the next few years at certain PA SGL locations. The east route through PA has a more viable passage through no-camping zones, it's just about doable legally now for most folks, and I have heard there is activity to set up a campsite in the longest gap between the MD border and US 30 (that's PATC territory on the Tuscarora where I start becoming less familiar with current activity). There might be some improvement on the west route in terms of campsites, but the way things are going so far probably not enough progress will be able to be made on your time scale to get a reasonable interval of camping locations on the west route.

The logo to date has not been registered. You could contact GETA President Tom Johnson [email protected] (he is not known to be on any boards) to get his viewpoint on using it if you like. He may be able to refer to you to someone who can send a high resolution AI version which might help on the embroidery machine.

I think you've got a great hike plan and look forward to meeting you too someday!

Peachfuzz

Good luck!

The Pine Mountain Trail in far-Eastern Kentucky is part of the Great Eastern Trail. Here is the local newspaper's recent coverage of progress on it: http://medicalleader.org/pmc_news.html?id=4377 It's nice to see that the surrounding community embraces the Trail.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 12-18-2012 at 16:54. Reason: added link

NOBO's out in a serious attempt at the whole thing: http://www.gethiking.net

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    I met Jo at the ALDHA Gathering where she did a presentation on the GET. A few weeks ago, she contacted me for advice on the Allegheny Trail to which I sent her my detailed spreadsheet. I think they're as well prepared as they could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    The Pine Mountain Trail in far-Eastern Kentucky is part of the Great Eastern Trail. Here is the local newspaper's recent coverage of progress on it: http://medicalleader.org/pmc_news.html?id=4377 It's nice to see that the surrounding community embraces the Trail.
    This is my neck of the woods. I'm starting volunteering soon. I hope to get up there this weekend. Here's the facebook page with photos of the new shelter and other interesting things:

http://m.facebook.com/groups/1259093...14939&__user=0

I would also be happy to help anyone with info, rides, local supply places, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123 View Post
    This is my neck of the woods. I'm starting volunteering soon. I hope to get up there this weekend. Here's the facebook page with photos of the new shelter and other interesting things:

http://m.facebook.com/groups/1259093...14939&__user=0

I would also be happy to help anyone with info, rides, local supply places, etc.
    Thanks for posting - I'll keep that in mind. I'm thinking of hiking it this Spring if the forecast calls for a string of decent weather days.

Images

Anyone thru-hiking this puppy? It seems like a trail of connect the dots... is there a guidebook yet? Or too far out from being a finished product?
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

We need more trails. Then we can start interconnecting them into a matrix. Extend them as greenways into towns and suburbs, and urbs. Walk to work and do all my grocery shopping in my hiking clothes. Yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by The Phoenix View Post
    Anyone thru-hiking this puppy? It seems like a trail of connect the dots... is there a guidebook yet? Or too far out from being a finished product?
    Serious attempt out now as I type: http://www.gethiking.net

The guidebooks and maps are from the member groups.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    As of now they are through Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee, and well into Kentucky. Looking good!

About a year and a half ago, me and 3 friends hiked the Pine Mtn. portion of the trail begining in Elkhorn City. Things may have changed by now, but this 40 miles section was mostly an ATV trail except for a few ridge sections. Its a very pretty area, but poorly policed. The trail maps I've had for our hike listed several shelters that had yet to be constructed; this may have changed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by jelkins View Post
    About a year and a half ago, me and 3 friends hiked the Pine Mtn. portion of the trail begining in Elkhorn City. Things may have changed by now, but this 40 miles section was mostly an ATV trail except for a few ridge sections. Its a very pretty area, but poorly policed. The trail maps I've had for our hike listed several shelters that had yet to be constructed; this may have changed by now.
    This trail has been on my list since I moved to KY 3 years ago. Thanks for the posting.

For those attending the Appalachian Trail Conservancy biennial meeting in Cullowhee, NC next week, check out the Monday evening workshop on the GET led by Tom Johnson, GETA President.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++