Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2008 Thru-Hike Registry

Who is hiking the PCT this year?

I'll be going solo. Departing April 14 from Campo heading North.

//Departure date is fluid with the snow in higher elevations. But, this is my opening window to get on the trail.

I'm going solo, starting April 24th. Hopefully I won't have to push that back more and get behind the 'herd', but...snow levels look intimidating at the moment. No Kickoff party for me.

-bebop

I'm thinking May 9th. Going solo from Campo to Tuolumne if I play my cards right.
    Between moving to a new state, getting a new job, and graduating, I'm going to have about 5 days to plan this. It will be....interesting.

Starting April 17th and will be attending the Kick off from Warner Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post
    I'm going solo, starting April 24th. Hopefully I won't have to push that back more and get behind the 'herd', but...snow levels look intimidating at the moment. No Kickoff party for me.

-bebop
    Vapor, you need to delete some PM's. Your mailbox is full.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vaporjourney View Post

-bebop
    don't be afeared.
    http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/p...T_SWC.2008.pdf

Images

Default Headed NOBO

Headed north from Campo a little late due to other obligations....5/21.

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    Looks average to me. What matter is how it is when you get there!

Going nobo, with a friend, attending kickoff and starting right after. Still trying to figure out how to avoid the "herd" and still meet some interesting trail people...

Wait, so, is it a high snow year or not? Those graphs say it's right around normal...?

Looks like it's around normal to me too. Apparently it's a high snow year up in the Cascades though. Haven't seen any graphs for that part of the trail though... Plus I'm not SOBO, so I don't care. May make mosquitos more of a headache than usual through there though with excessive runoff.

Images

Default SOBO from Walker Pass

I'll be heading south from Walker Pass on April 4th. Starting solo, but know of 4 other hikers (3 AT06 veterans included, Chuck Norris&Tigger and JohnnyK) starting the following day. Hope to make it to Big Bear then head down to the kickoff. Plans are fluid after the kickoff. May hike Nobo back to BigBear or may go back and continue Sobo to Campo.

As to snow height, I did a little reconnaissance from downhill skis up near Donner Pass at Alpine Meadows and Squaw. I'd say it's a below average snowpack as of last week based on the other four times I've skied there. Of course that can easily change with just one big storm.

Shout out to all PCT08 hikers on Whiteblaze!

Handlebar, GA-ME 06
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

i (bewildered) and three of my other AT 05 SOBO crew members (Tarkus, Leroy, and Tugboat) will be arriving in San D May 14th and starting north on May 15. i am in a group of 7 right now starting, i, the three i just mentioned, and 4 other cronies. Should be a good old time, look for us at the nearest trail side bar or bottle shop…

peace, love, & Johnny Cash
    bewildered
    sobo AT 05
    Signed
    Bewildered

Weird. Me too, exactly - flying from CT on May 14, starting the 15th. How are you guys getting to the trailhead, Bewildered? (or are you driving yourself?) I assume info about that is in Yogi, which I just ordered...

Anyone know about any kind of taxi service I could get from the San Diego airport to Campo?

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post
    Weird. Me too, exactly - flying from CT on May 14, starting the 15th. How are you guys getting to the trailhead, Bewildered? (or are you driving yourself?) I assume info about that is in Yogi, which I just ordered...

Anyone know about any kind of taxi service I could get from the San Diego airport to Campo?
    From downtown San Diego, you need to get to El Cajon Transit Center via Bus or trolley (several routes are available) where you will transfer to the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System bus to Campo (Routes 894 and 888). Current schedules are available on from the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System: Rte. 888 and Rte. 894.
    This is my backup plan. I am hoping to solicit a ride from a local once I get my actual trip date.

I know it's early but we're planning on hitting Campo on the 19th of April. The mix of anticipation and unpreparedness is not always solved by more time. We need to get out of Michigan and start hiking. I know that there's a rash of hikers starting this year. Jarrow (my brother) and I will be part of the melee.

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post

that is weird.
    we should meet up, i'll be there around 12:00 when my plain gets in

we plan on doing the norm;;

From downtown San Diego, you need to get to El Cajon Transit Center via Bus or trolley (several routes are available) where you will transfer to the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System bus to Campo (Routes 894 and 888). Current schedules are available on from the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System: Rte. 888 and Rte. 894.
    Signed
    Bewildered

Images

heading north April 17th

caseyonpct.blogspot.com

Images

Definately try an avoid a taxi from SD to Campo, unless you wanna burn a week or two's worth of trail money on the ride. The bus route can take a long time too.

I'd look into the trail angel possibilities out there. I know Scout and Frodo and GirlScout are offering rides and places to stay in SD, as well as Gazelle, until she starts the PCT. These folks are all amazing. I think they've posted on PCT-L with their info.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Yo, who else is getting pumped?? I'm ready to get out there. Schoolwork sucks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++