WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default I'm poor - how inexpensively can I thru-hike?

I have all the gear I need and Im not a very hard man to please and only plan on going into town or paying for a hostel if I absolutly need a shower or a change of clothes. Taking this into consideration how much (roughly) would you think a thru-hike cost. Keeping in mind that I would stay in town and eat in resturaunts very scarcely. Im poor, and want to try and do this with as little money spent as possible.

$2,500, Imo

Merry Hikester

I've seen someone go bout 500 miles starting with only a full food bag and some dvd's to sell. He did beg for money to do it but I was impressed.
    If I were you I'd get as much as you can and just go until you're broke. I've done that the past 4 years, I'm up to the mason Dixon state park, Actualy haven't stepped into the north but I did pee on it.
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

Images

begging...........not cool

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    Thanks for your opinion that no one wanted. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Start with this article by Weather Carrot:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...2959#post22959
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    Thanks for your opinion that no one wanted. If you can't say something nice don't say anything at all.

that begging is not cool is a matter of fact, not one of opinion.

Images

Youre on the wrong site if you think thats going to happen!!
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Quote Originally Posted by mcstick View Post
    that begging is not cool is a matter of fact, not one of opinion.
    i agree

Thanks Mag, thats exactly what Im looking for. I surprised I didnt notice the article before, oh well. Thanks again!

Merry Hikester

If you were starving with no money at a supermarket I supose you would just die then? or steal??? I know it may not be fair to us working folk, but is it fair that Paris Hilton is a multi millionaire?

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post

Everybody hikes the AT there own way, right? Or so I've been told. So as long as the trail still goes from Georgia to Maine and im still given the freedom to hike it the way Id like to, I dont see a need to argue, that was his choice, not yours.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    I have all the gear I need and Im not a very hard man to please and only plan on going into town or paying for a hostel if I absolutly need a shower or a change of clothes. Taking this into consideration how much (roughly) would you think a thru-hike cost. Keeping in mind that I would stay in town and eat in resturaunts very scarcely. Im poor, and want to try and do this with as little money spent as possible.
    ===================================

First question I would ask you is ...do you already have all your gear and clothing ??

Second question is ...how quickly do you plan on completing the hike ?? Reason there is that fewer days on the trail = less money required.

Third question would be ...how are you getting to/from the trail and is that included in your question ??

Cutting through all the details and keeping things as simple as possible, I would tell you up front to plan on roughly $12 - 15 per day on the trail (eg the number of actual days it takes you to get from one terminus to the other).

You will not spend $15 every day ...however, allowing for the ocassional town stop, restuarant meal, motel (for showering), laundry and food re-supply that will come close to your average.

So ...if it takes you 6 months (180 days) to get from Springer to Katahdin (presuming a northbound hike) you can expect to spend between $2,160 and $2,700. Those figures are "bare bones" though and do not take into consideration any need to replace clothing or gear and only allow for minimal town stops.

Understand your financial status but I would suggest if at all possible that you postpone your hike, save more money and allow closer to $3,500 for the trek.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

If you were starving with no money at a supermarket I supose you would just die then? or steal??? I know it may not be fair to us working folk, but is it fair that Paris Hilton is a multi millionaire?
    You miss the point. To start the trail with just a food bag and some DVDs to sell is not only uncool, but also foolish and irresponsible. There is nothing impressive about someone who takes what amounts to a 500 mile vacation on somebody else's dime.

Walking the trail is a choice, not a necessity. If you can't feed yourself while walking the trail, then you've probably made a bad choice.

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by Neurosis View Post
    Everybody hikes the AT there own way, right? Or so I've been told. So as long as the trail still goes from Georgia to Maine and im still given the freedom to hike it the way Id like to, I dont see a need to argue, that was his choice, not yours.
    What he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcstick View Post
    You miss the point. To start the trail with just a food bag and some DVDs to sell is not only uncool, but also foolish and irresponsible. There is nothing impressive about someone who takes what amounts to a 500 mile vacation on somebody else's dime.
    He didn't steal, but seeing as we disagree I won't argue I respect your OPINION as you should respect others' opinions, capeesh?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

One can always work and save up the money to do the hike.

The trail isn't going anywhere.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by thestin View Post
    Walking the trail is a choice, not a necessity. If you can't feed yourself while walking the trail, then you've probably made a bad choice.

+1

What he said.

He didn't steal, but seeing as we disagree I won't argue I respect your OPINION as you should respect others' opinions, capeesh?
    I do not and cannot respect an opinion that holds that it is acceptable to hit the trail with no money and simply beg your way north.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Begging is bad for the trail community. If you aren't willing to work hard over the winter to save up money, you shouldn't expect to be able to take a 6 month vacation over the summer.

Someone could probably hike hundreds of miles by robbing others. We are all entitled to do whatever we can to discourage such behavior. An able-bodied person begging for money is just as despicable as theft. If you need to beg, you should be begging for work. Seriously. Work, and do a southbound hike. You have 3-4 months to save up a few thousand dollars.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++