WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Water Filters?

unless they redesigned one or both of these filters. i have filtered water next to alot of people on the trail. i would always be on my 3rd (32oz.) when they were finishing up thier 1st bottle. pur hiker was alot faster than the MSR filter way back in 03' i love MSR gear just not the water filter. no big deal,maybe i had a head start?

I like the charcoal pump type. Several types listed on www.jbhgear.com fast shipping. make sure you check the production rate of the pump and buy one that will be efficent enough for the amount of people in your party. Remember, tablets have a shelf life, they may be old when you buy them so I wouldn't recomend tablets. Tablets have their purpose but I would rather filter.
    Ozark Man

Images

I've seen frogs in springs, they crap where they live, I treat mine. Aqua Mira and bandanna.

Chicken Feathers Chicken Feathers's Avatar

Default water filter

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    IF YOUR GOING TO BOIL,WHY FILTER AT ALL?
    Why use a filter have you tried dehydrated water crystals. REI is having a blow out sale on them. One bag makes 1 gallon of fresh water. All you need to do is add 1 teaspoon of clean water.
    The mountains are calling and I have to go

See you at Springer, Winter 09' Chance09's Avatar

I'm surprised that no one mentions the ULA gravity filter. It uses a katadyn filter if i remember correctly, and there is no work involved. Just fill and wait as gravity does it's job.

Weighs 8 oz too i think.

I'm either taking that or aqua mira for my thru
    AT - Georgia to Maine '09
    PCT - Mexico to Canada '10
    CDT - Canada to Mexico '11

Chance is right-- I made one very similar to the Amigo and I will never use a pump filter again..
    Snappy
    GAME--'09

Quote Originally Posted by Chance09 View Post
    I'm surprised that no one mentions the ULA gravity filter. It uses a katadyn filter if i remember correctly, and there is no work involved. Just fill and wait as gravity does it's job.

Weighs 8 oz too i think.

I'm either taking that or aqua mira for my thru
    HOOCH told me to check this out too,really cool. thanks either way its the same filter. i've used the same pur hiker for the longest time. works for me

I dont like the idea of chemicals in my body for six months.....I will be eating enough crap for that time. Call me whatever you want

I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro. bringing it to my thru this year. I have used it lots. Never been sick.

I brought it to Nepal with me to reduce plastic waste. I got sick....not by the water but by the "local wine" made in a reused glass bottle who knows how. After that sickness I will NEVER not do something to my water. I have met people who never have filtered on several AT thrus. I like my piece of mind. And keeping my dinner.

Stell

Images

Default The great debate.

Well I am gonna treat my water via filter and tabs. I here the filter gets the bacteria and the tabs drop whatever gets the virus. I own a msr sweetwater, the less maintable mini-works (reviews please). And will probably follow up with aquamira tabs. I dont wanna take the chance, I dont wanna spend my vacation time with the slides. I have a very strong stomach. My son(6) and I drank from a spring at the campsite in dolly sods and didnt get sick(water was awesome). I am not a germaphobe. I use next to 0 household cleansers in my home. I use baking soda, washing soda, mild dish detergent and borax to clean everything.....I dont get sick.

I agree with Panzer to the point that people become immune through exposure. That is why every one of use has an immune system. My ex-boss got sick in Thailand because of local food exposure.....stuff they eat everyday and NEVER get sick. The body is an amazing thing, there should be a study on prolonged or repeated exposure to these bacteria and virus. That way we could "naturally" innoculate the entire population. Children who are breast fed get natural antibodies from mothers milk. Even your doctor will tell you the best way to prevent the spread of germs is to
    WASH YOUR HANDS!

Images

Default CDC Link

here is the faq sheet on giardia from the fact sheet.
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...htm#prevention

If it can live in your swimming pools it can live in or unfiltered treated water.

Garlic
    Images

The only filter I've ever seen that's reliable enough to consistently last a thru hike is a gravity filter, though I've never used one. It's really hard to maintain a pump that long.

For anyone feeling the need to use a filter, it's a good idea to have a cheap and lightweight chemical treatment as backup only. It's probably not good to consume the chemicals long term.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    The only filter I've ever seen that's reliable enough to consistently last a thru hike is a gravity filter, though I've never used one. It's really hard to maintain a pump that long.

For anyone feeling the need to use a filter, it's a good idea to have a cheap and lightweight chemical treatment as backup only. It's probably not good to consume the chemicals long term.
    i've used the same pur hiker on 4 thruhikes! and a few section hikes. pumps fast ,very reliable, bomb proof.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Filter to think about

http://www.generalecology.com/catego...r_purifier-new

This is a nice Filter and fits more than just one Bottle or you can buy an adapter from them also that will fit more Bottles. I never see anyone on this page ever talk about this one why is that? For only 110 bucks it's a good deal I think plus it will filter around 150 gallons of water. The storage bag can be used for a gravity filter also so if your filter is clogged. So you will not be stuck with a non pumping filter like most of you have complained about.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

Count me in for a vote for the Miox gizmo. With Aquamira as a backup in case something goes awry. I think they're great.

I still have my First Need filter and use it upon rare occasion.

I used the ULA Amigo gravity filter for the first 700 miles of my PCT hike last year, and then I switched to chemicals (Aqua Mira), figuring that most of the sketchiest water sources were now behind me.

Gravity filters can work great, and indeed it's pretty light --- I got mine maybe 3 years ago (?), and it was just about dead on 8.0 ounces as shipped. There's a minor learning curve, and some water sources a gravity filter is easier to use, at other water sources it's harder. The nice places are where the water is falling and you can let that just easily fill the bag, plus you want a nice nearby place to hang the bag at a decent height.

Hint: if you buy or make one of these and have trouble getting it to filter, take the (clean water) outlet hose, put it in your mouth and suck to get it started.
    Additional hint: The katadin filter comes with a thin plastic sheet wrapped around the filter element, held in place with a kind of stretchy plastic mesh. Leave that on ... it's not like a piece of removeable filter packing material or something, but a sort of pre-filter. It can be a good idea on occasion to take it off and clean it.

theres many ways to filter/treat water.most ways are fine,to each his/her own. if a problem arises its probably operator error! i was watching trek yesterday and early on in the movie at the end of day #1 i believe. one of the guys was asked how his day was going and he said it would be better if my filter would work? he had a katahdyn hiker, but the pump was dry and needed primed so he wasn't getting any flow. i just wanted to reach out and slap him, i mean help him.

Journal Entries
    Images

On many trails I have observed the presence not only of humans but cattle, etc. So I filter my water with a Sweetwater filter system. I ahve it down pretty good now and can get it done quickly. I don't carry a LOT of water at a time and so the weight keeps down. I wash my hands also and wash dishes carefully. I have never been sick yet in my life. Have done a lot of hiking and in the past, mtn climbing (as a young adult). The risk of parasites, virus, et al upstream in the water, etc., etc., is something I want to avoid and so do what I can. The technology is there (filter system) and so I use it. The Chemicals are not good enough for me-when I read about them. I make sacrifices in other areas in order to carry the filter system.
    Interesting point: I was reading on Wikipedia last night about noro virus. The article stated that alcohol based cleaners (and hand cleaners?) would not kill it. Only chlorine based soaps, etc., would. So I wonder if the little bottle of hand cleaner we all use is really worth it? But how else to clean hands on the go? I sure don't share gorp unless I pour it into someones hands, etc.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    i've used the same pur hiker on 4 thruhikes! and a few section hikes. pumps fast ,very reliable, bomb proof.
    I've been doing an informal poll for years and you're the third person I've heard of getting a pump to last a thru. My hat's off to you. My first and only PUR lastest less than a month. But my friends call me the beta tester. I break bowling balls and crowbars.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Default MSR Sweetwater....

Anyone ever trim the handle on a msr sweerwater to make it a t-handle and shave a few ounces, and to improve packability.

Has anyone had any experience with the Sawyer Inline filters? http://www.rei.com/product/778041 Apparently you just hook it into your water bladder line and it filters the water in the bladder as you drink it. Sounds like the easiest solution I've seen. I don't think it filters viruses, but it does claim to filter protozoa, bacteria, giardia, cryptosporidium and salmonella.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++