WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Trail luxuries?

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    I think I am going to get a banjo to bring along. I mean, what better way to get to learn to play it...can't be too different than my guitar.
    might I suggest a banjo ukulele

http://freespace.virgin.net/dennis.t...troduction.htm

It's way smaller & lighter than a banjo, but has the same sound! Also there are only 4 strings so it's easy to learn! it is cute though, you'll have a hard time frightening Eddie Bauer hikers with it

I'm bringing a regular ukulele. My boyfried plays harmonica so we're gonna rock out! And if I get tired of carrying the uke I might take up harmonica myself

Quote Originally Posted by Jason of the Woods View Post
    Oh I agree 100%. I haven't played that game for a long time. Besides it makes me tired and my eyes red.
    And I can't carry enough munchy-type snacks....
    WhoAh

Merry Hikester

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    might I suggest a banjo ukulele

http://freespace.virgin.net/dennis.t...troduction.htm

It's way smaller & lighter than a banjo, but has the same sound! Also there are only 4 strings so it's easy to learn! it is cute though, you'll have a hard time frightening Eddie Bauer hikers with it

I'm bringing a regular ukulele. My boyfried plays harmonica so we're gonna rock out! And if I get tired of carrying the uke I might take up harmonica myself
    Rock On!
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

Yeah that's the other problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoAh View Post
    And I can't carry enough munchy-type snacks....

Images

MP3 player, 3 Oz
    PVC Flute, 3.5 Oz
    Tin whistle 1.5 Oz
    Grand total of my "Fluff": 8 Oz.

Yea, 1/2 pound, but:
    I
    DON'T
    CARE
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by hobojoe View Post
    A quitar, 2 mp3 players, frizbee, harmonica, grass clippings, hackey sack, journal, painkillers, nalibong, and a naligene flask.
    i hear those grass clippings can really weigh you down. ill be happy to help light up...er...i mean lighten your load for you.

does this mean i can bring my good luck anvil?

Merry Hikester

Don't forget your springer boulder....
    Disclaimer: I didn't mean that......I realy love you all.

my inflatable thermarest, I consider a luxury.....I might also bring along a few small bottles of liquer and a deck of cards....I once carried a book with me that I dind't read and that was the last time I brought a book....another luxury would probably be this little collapsable hairbrush with a mirror on the inside of it and tube of mascera...again most of which i never use. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy from Indy View Post
    No, I'm not a law enforcement-type person. I am law-abiding type person though. And, no I'm not going to go out of my way to turn a person in who's smoking pot on the trail.

However, I will be quite vocal to that person if I even get a whiff of it! I am very protective of my air. But I will be much more vocal with the law-breaking smoker than with the law-abiding smoker.

This thread is asking about what luxuries a person would take on their thru hike. My opine is that this should be limited to legal luxuries.
    as long as thats just your opine you are free to express it.but perhaps you should reserve judgement.in a country where overperscribed medication is destroying millions of livers, maybe the people should take another look at what smoking something with positive benefits(unlike cigarettes) can do for aching muscles and bones at the end of a long day. as well as treating aids patients, leukemia patients, glaucoma patients, making clothing, making paper, making fuel. all this with a fraction of the impact on our environment that the current methods are having. but that is just my opine

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    ..where overperscribed medication is destroying millions of livers, maybe the people should take another look at what smoking something with positive benefits(unlike cigarettes) can do for aching muscles and bones at the end of a long day. as well as treating aids patients, leukemia patients, glaucoma patients, making clothing, making paper, making fuel. all this with a fraction of the impact on our environment that the current methods are having. but that is just my opine
    youre absolutely right, but what would that do for business.. here in the US everything is about money.. From what I hear from several doctors, we could actually be curing cancer patients... but it costs more, and brings in a whole lot less.. Go figure.

sorry that was off topic.. but i had to put in my $0.02

though cindy's got a point too. its pretty rude to force others to inhale/smell it. For some people, the scent alone is enough to make them sick.

Images

Mini-binoculars, AM/FM/WX radio, paperback book.

On my thru-hike I brought: a book, a journal, crosswords (all to varying degrees), a camera, and a solar radio (part of the time).

Tintin, Pythagoras, and Joseph Stalin carried light sabres last year!

As far as pot, the smokers of that were usually polite and moved away (probably partially because they didn't want to share too much!!). It was the alcohol that was more of an issue for me - hikers would pack out extremely large amounts, get drunk and be obnoxious/leave trash/destroy things. I'll put up with a smoker over a drunk any day!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ofthearth View Post
    Ya'll are making me feel better about my "Therm-a-Rest Trekker Lounge Chair Sleeve - 25-Inch" http://www.rei.com/OM/style/719827?c...:referralID=NA . I mean I'll have something to relax in while I listen to you play.

HYOH
    ofthearth
    i was looking at this one http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=bag0128

My luxury item would be an MP3 player, even if only used occasionally. Just got done a shakedown hike and the only thing that I missed was having some music when I was alone/tired and needed to get a little pace going.

As far as the other discussion that seems to have popped up, here is my opinion. I think it is like everything else when you have to interact with others (whichever way you feel about it): RESPECT. Be respectful of each other, and everyone will be fine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++