Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post
    As in, do I need to shell out $150, or can I get by with nylon t-shirt + capilene top + goretex shell?

Shell out $15. Light, warm, cheap.

http://www.rddusa.com/U-S-G-I-M-65-J...ear-Us-Gi.html
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Guys,

Thanks so fookin much for all the advice; this is great stuff. I'm still not sure about the temperatures in the high sierra - how cold does it get up there? Since I'm carrying a 20deg down bag, do I need a jacket for warmth up there? As in, do I need to shell out $150, or can I get by with nylon t-shirt + capilene top + goretex shell?

PS, I know that a lot of this is in Yogi's book, but she's not selling it until March 11, and I need to get a move on if this is going to come together.

Thanks dudes.
    Gear that I plan on adding in the Sierra's

100wt fleece jacket
    maybe grab my capilenes (maybe just bring silk instead) to sleep in
    Zip pants
    Ice ax
    Bear can

I might switch to a stiffer shoe or a lightweight boot, not sure yet, it will be depending on the snow level when I get there.

I've got crampons, but I can't see myself bringing them. They seem like something that will just be dead weight for my arrival date (Late June / early July)

Right, forgot about an ice ax and bear canister! (added)

Rain and the Sierra's

Will I be fine with my Driclime and an emergency poncho? I assume that they chance of showers is still relatively low (i.e. maybe a few of them that actually hit me), or should I look into upgrading to a little better poncho?

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Gear that I plan on adding in the Sierra's

100wt fleece jacket
    maybe grab my capilenes (maybe just bring silk instead) to sleep in
    Zip pants
    Ice ax
    Bear can

I might switch to a stiffer shoe or a lightweight boot, not sure yet, it will be depending on the snow level when I get there.

I've got crampons, but I can't see myself bringing them. They seem like something that will just be dead weight for my arrival date (Late June / early July)
    Forgot to add that I might be picking up a lightweight rod and small box of lures. MMMM fresh trout...

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Rain and the Sierra's

Will I be fine with my Driclime and an emergency poncho? I assume that they chance of showers is still relatively low (i.e. maybe a few of them that actually hit me), or should I look into upgrading to a little better poncho?
    Hard to say. It can rain, and it can rain hard anywhere in CA but if you get rained on more than 5 times I'd be surprised. If you hike in WA during Sept that's another matter. Probably rained 3 of four weeks when I was there.

Yellow Jacket
    Images

Beside's Mag's website, I assume you have read Chris' site (whiteblaze member and frequent poster). His PCT journal is awesome.
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

Quote Originally Posted by tlbj6142 View Post
    Beside's Mag's website,
    Someone needs to make Mag's PCT Handout post a sticky! Mowgli, Tha Wookie, Bueller?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29446

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    Someone needs to make Mag's PCT Handout post a sticky! Mowgli, Tha Wookie, Bueller?

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29446
    Taken care of, Sly.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34010

The replies went poof though. I tried copying the original thread to save them but I think I messed up by not renaming the thread. Oh well. Only 7 or 8 posts.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    Taken care of, Sly.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=34010

The replies went poof though. I tried copying the original thread to save them but I think I messed up by not renaming the thread. Oh well. Only 7 or 8 posts.

No problem, Mag's doc was the important one.

Images

Guys,

Thanks so fookin much for all the advice; this is great stuff. I'm still not sure about the temperatures in the high sierra - how cold does it get up there? Since I'm carrying a 20deg down bag, do I need a jacket for warmth up there? As in, do I need to shell out $150, or can I get by with nylon t-shirt + capilene top + goretex shell?

PS, I know that a lot of this is in Yogi's book, but she's not selling it until March 11, and I need to get a move on if this is going to come together.

Thanks dudes.
    I used a very battered 20 degree down bag, liner and WM Flight down jacket in June in the Sierra. Mighta been a little overkill, but there were some cold nights and mornings. Basically depends. Are you a cold sleeper? I'd say you can get by without it, but a jacket gives you flexibility. What if you wanna camp high at a fabulous location? What if you wanna hang out in the evening and watch a sunset, or get up early and watch the sunruse?

The Sierras are phenomenal, take your time and soak them in. The whole PCT is awesome, but I don't think I appreciated the Sierra's grandeur until after I was gone.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Yellow Jacket
    Images

FWIW, my brother (Father Ounce AT'04, not sure if he'll keep that trail name) will be on the PCT this year as well. I think he plans to start about a week before the kick-off as he has to leave for a week in early June for a wedding (not his).
    Yellow Jacket -- Words of Wisdom (tm) go here.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

here's a link to a site with photos (current conditions)of the san gabriels if you're interested.
    go to trip reports
    http://sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org/forum6.php

Images

current conditions in the sierras
    http://www.whitneyportalstore.com/fo...4741#Post45356

Images

Looks gorgeous. What's a little snowpack, eh? Bring it, mountain.

What's a little snowpack, eh? Bring it, mountain.
    Ohhh, don't taunt the mountain! Very dangerous. Be afraid, etc.

Yo dudes, what the deal with camping on snow? What changes? Does the snow melt from your body heat? I'm from Alabama originally so I know nothing about cold stuff...

You should never have to camp on top of snow on the PCT. Either brush the snow away from your campsite, or just go further down the mountain to lower elevations where you can easily find dry pockets of ground.

This year he might.
    Although i rarely hike with a thermorest (only for winter camping) I would probably use one from Kennedy Meadows onward this year. The Thermorest will keep you better insulated than a pad for sure.
    Once when we went winter camping, 3 of us had: my thin blue foam pad, my buddy had a Ridge Rest AND my brother had a thermorest. In the morning (after sleeping on snow) you could see the indentations in the snow from where we slept with mine being the deepest, then the ridegrest, and the Thermorest hardly melted the snow!

Proved a lot to me although i still don't use one much. too heavy for me. But you should make sure you have a good sleeping bag also. You will get used to it and maybe even prefer it if you are a warm sleeper and have picked the right gear. (no lumps, roots, rocks, in your bed and you certainly don't have to go far for water!)

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++