Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dranoel View Post
    I am using an Osprey Atmos 65 (4200ci).

Today I did my spreadsheet and my pack weight is 28 pounds.

When I factor in 5 L of water and 7 days of food (2 pounds per day) my total weight is 53 pounds.

This does not make me very happy, but I am carrying in all my gear- and intend on being more of a trail guy than a town guy. Also, with the heavy snow fall I don't plan to freeze on the trail.

I am a big guy, 6'3 at 205 pounds. I need to see what I can do to maybe shave some weight to keep it under 50 pounds.

//My tent (Kelty Teton 2), Sleeping Bag (North Face Fission 20 Degree), Therm-a-Rest 4 is arriving tomorrow. This makes me happy.
    I think the easiest way to cut weight is
    1) Wear all your clothes, maybe have a camp layer and maybe a silk layer to sleep in (LJ's in the Sierra's)
    2) Use a poncho instead of rain gear
    3) Use a tarp or a tarptent (1lbs is better than 3)
    4) Make an alki stove (or use wood)
    5) Down bag

I did that and it saved me a TON, however 50 lbs on a 200lbs guy is only 25% BW, so thats not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post
    Ok guys, forgive my ignorance here:

So, say I take an ice-axe. Since they are only effective for self-arrest if you are like, carrying it when the fall happens (I think..), does that mean that I just my poles like normal and switch to the ice axe while going over treacherous ice/snow?
    When you are traversing an incline in which a fall could mean a long and dangerous slide ending in rocks or a cliff below you, you should be ready and know the technique: Put the tether (loop) on your wrist in your uphill hand, sink the ice ax in DEEP with every thrust into the snow. (important) that way, many falls can be avoided just by holding onto the stationary ice ax at the beginning. (some ice axes have a wrist loop attachment that slides up or down the shaft, in this case, try to let it slide down as you fall (hope this makes sense to you)

If this doesn't work, and you find yourself sliding fast, you must flip over on your belly and put your free hand on top of the ice ax, pushing it into the snow/ice and lifting up with the bottom hand (on the shaft) sinking the point into the hard packed snow and pulling up on the handle is the brake.

Different snows make for different technique here and ice is the toughest. and on some snows, the ice ax will simply go through it like butter with no friction and no help (corn snow?) This is why it's a good idea to practice a lot when you first see the snow and learn which type you are on and have a good idea how you are going to stop once the fall has started.

I imagine you can find out more on google but the important thing is to practice. I probably practiced more than most but was glad for the bit of experience because I have had 2 falls which i saved myself with the ice ax. (neither one was actually on the PCT although one was bushwhacking up the backside of whitney when it was 80% snow covered) (the other was on the cdt)

Remember to sink it deep BEFORE the fall and you may not fall at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    I am thinking the late starters have the better plan this year. The late April starters will probaBly zero at the Sierras waiting for the Snow TO melt or Flip Flop and come back to the section. Late starters will catch up anyway and spend less.

They should move the AZDPCTMNOPXYZ to mid-May.

Well, it all depends on how fast you get there. I took a week at Kennedy Meadows the 1st time around and probably will again. The northern part of the trail is also getting a lot of snow so flips this year will be difficult.

Although some start in May, southern California gets hot and springs dry up.

The KO isn't going to move, not this year anyway, they rent the campground at Lake Moreno 1 year in advance. The weekend they have it is the best for most years.

I just got from REI & found out my pack (Osprey Atmos 65) is not rated for 50+ pounds.

I need to do some research and select a new pack.

You shouldn't have to carry 50lbs. Your base weight shouldn't be much more than 15lbs. (less if possible) Add 10 for food during most resupplies and 12-16, at the most, for water only brings you up to 41lbs max.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    You shouldn't have to carry 50lbs. Your base weight shouldn't be much more than 15lbs. (less if possible) Add 10 for food during most resupplies and 12-16, at the most, for water only brings you up to 41lbs max.
    From my earlier post:

When I factor in 5 L of water and 7 days of food (2 pounds per day) my total weight is 53 pounds.

This does not make me very happy, but I am carrying in all my gear- and intend on being more of a trail guy than a town guy. Also, with the heavy snow fall I don't plan to freeze on the trail.

I am a big guy, 6'3 at 205 pounds. I need to see what I can do to maybe shave some weight to keep it under 50 pounds.

-------------------------------------------

Big "Three" (Tent, Backpack, & Sleeping bag/Mat) is usually around 10 pounds. Mine is 13.

The guy at REI stated PCT is not the AT. This pack would be fine for the AT with towns every 3 days. I agreed. The PCT I will be carrying 7 days worth of food (14 pounds) & 5 L water (11 pounds). I believe leaving KM I need 10 days of food- if I remember correctly.

My total pack weight (food & water) is 53 pounds.

Now, I need to get a heavier pack which is going to increase my weight by another 2 pounds or so.

This year the PCT is not going to be a typical year if the snow keeps falling. They are already way above average- which is going to make the trail a lot more difficult.

I am having to get extra items as such, which has increased my weight a little more than I like.

That being said- can anyone recommend a good pack? I was told to look at the Gregory Palisade 80. Any thoughts on this pack? It's a bit heavier than I want to go with.

Images

From my earlier post:

-------------------------------------------

Big "Three" (Tent, Backpack, & Sleeping bag/Mat) is usually around 10 pounds. Mine is 13.

The guy at REI stated PCT is not the AT. This pack would be fine for the AT with towns every 3 days. I agreed. The PCT I will be carrying 7 days worth of food (14 pounds) & 5 L water (11 pounds). I believe leaving KM I need 10 days of food- if I remember correctly.

Now, I need to get a heavier pack which is going to increase my weight by another 2 pounds or so.

This year the PCT is not going to be a typical year if the snow keeps falling. They are already way above average- which is going to make the trail a lot more difficult.

I am having to get extra items as such, which has increased my weight a little more than I like.

That being said- can anyone recommend a good pack? I was told to look at the Gregory Palisade 80. Any thoughts on this pack? It's a bit heavier than I want to go with.

Depends on your resupply strategy. If I were you i'd try to resupply often to keep the weight down. My max was 7 days(really 6+) twice (KM to Independence and Independence to Mammoth).

I'd say the average stetch is 4-5 days resupply.

Post your gearlist and let people pick it apart. 53 lbs is too much to be humping through the desert heat and will cut back on your enjoyment in the Sierra.

Sly's recommendation was good, try to stay around 15 lbs base weight.

The Palisades is a HEAVY pack. Try the Triconi by Gregory, or the ULA catalyst or maybe the Osprey Aether 70.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I know it's probably too late to change now but mine is just over 7lbs.

Yeah in there you need to carry a lot. I got lucky and was able to resupply at Horseshoe Meadows (Trail Pass Trail-3 days) Independence (Kearsarge Pass Trail, awesome-3 days) and VVR (6 days).

Two other places have 150 mile stretches but can be broken up to 50-100 and 75-75. IMO, it's worth the side trip.

Ouch! You may be one of the heaviest on the trail.

I guess. I have a Dana Design Terraplane I could sell you for $150. It's 7.5 pounds but will carry any load. What I carrying this year. ULA Catalyst, SMD Wild Oasis tarp south of KM, Lunar Solo - north of KM , Montbell Down bag, and Prolite pad weigh about the same)

Yeah but it''s not like you need to carry much extra. Just an ice ax

See above. Terraplane FS..

BTW, When I hiked the PCT the 1st time, I carried a Terraplane It wasn't all that bad. The pack I'd be selling isn't the one I used and has a lot less miles.

Images

From my earlier post:

T
    Dranoel,

Hope to see you out there.

I'm carrying the Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian, same weight as the Osprey atmos 65, but I found it a lot more comfortable loaded down with 35 lbs at the outfitter's. It's a bomb pack and I've carried as much as 70 lbs during a session of trail crew this past summer. The pack carried fine, but I sure knew I had the weight on me as it was during a 2 mile, 1000 foot climb up to our base camp.

That said, I doubt you'll need to carry both 5 L of water and 7 days of food, but the point on lightening the load is a good one. Consider this: you can get a tarp at a pretty reasonable price. It and a tyvek ground cloth will be a lot lighter than your tent and probably more than adequate until WA state. Are you carrying an alcohol stove? etc., etc.

I worked up my spread sheet and was disappointed that I hadn't shaved as much weight as I thought I had. It was 24 lbs. Obviously, I'm not ultra-light, I like a few luxuries like a bull length thermarest, but I quickly found some options to save a bundle of weight---about 3-1/2 pounds and I'm not done yet. I decided I didn't need both my rain jacket and my dri-clime wind jacket. I decided I didn't need rain pants at all. I decided I didn't need either my shorts and their zip-off legs in addition to the kilt I'll be wearing. I decided I don't need the extra t-shirt. Most of these things have been in my clothes bag for winter backpacks in PA, but won't be needed in the California desert when I start out. You'll be surprised how quickly the ounces add up to pounds. Some of these things will go in my bounce bucket just in case, but I'll probably wind up sending them home.

Plus you could post your gear list here and get some help from experienced thru-hikers.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Also, for those that haven't hiked in the High Sierra, even though there's snow, much of the time you're hiking in a T-shirt, so it's not like you need warmer clothing.

Rain pants are recommended for WA in Sept..

Hiking the PCT Gear 2008

Big Three:

Kelty Teton 2 Tent 2007 ($99.97 68 oz)
    Kelty Teton 2 Nylon Footprint ($24.97 8 oz)
    Osprey 65 ($209.00 61 oz)
    * CamelBak 3 Liter w/ Clips for Backpack (7.5 oz)
    The North Face Fission +20 Sleeping Bag - Long ($179.96 41 oz)
    Thermarest ProLite 4 Sleeping Pad - Large ($99.97 33 oz)
    * Therm-a-Rest ProLite 4 Regular Stuff Sack ($12.95 1 oz)
    * Therm-a-Rest Repair Kit ($9.95 1 oz)

Sub-total: $ 636.77 (220.5 oz = 13.78125 lbs)

Clothing:

REI Smart Wool Hiking Socks (x2) Spare ($23.00 7.4 oz)
    Marmot PreCip Jacket Dark Cedar ($99.00 14.5 oz)
    Marmot PreCip Pant Dark Cedar ($90.00 13.5 oz)
    Hiking Shirt (Spare) ($25.00 5 oz)
    Dirty Stuff Sack ($10.00 2 oz)
    Fleece Jacket ($50.00 16 oz)
    Swimming shorts (6 oz)
    Rescue 14 Hoddie (3 oz)
    Scrubs (Pants for Sleeping) (9 oz)

Sub-total: $ 297.00 (76.4 oz = 4.775 lbs)

Wearing/Carrying:

Hiking Poles ($100.00)
    OR Gore-Tex Hat ($48.00)
    Polarized Sunglasses ($35.00)
    Columbia Titanium Hiking Shirt ($25.00)
    Long Sleeve & Longjohn Thermal ($56.00)
    North Face Paramount Convertible Pants ($65.00)
    Gaiters ($30.00)
    Merrell Continuum Hiking Boots (Size 14) ($80.00)
    REI Smart Wool Hiking Socks ($11.50)
    Gerber Multi-Tool ($70.00)
    Kodak Digital Camera
    Watch (Temp/Barometer) ($80.00)

Sub-total: $ 600.50

Kitchen:

Windpro MSR w/ Windscreen ($80.00 7 oz)
    Fuel (x2) ($9.00 5 oz)
    Jetboil 1.5 Liter Pot ($54.00 7.5 oz)
    Frying Pan (8 oz)
    Drinking/Soup Cup (4 oz)
    32 oz HDPE Loop-Top Bottle (x2) ($12.00 7.5 oz)
    Fork/Spoon/Knife
    P-38 Can Opener ($4.00 1 oz)
    Waterproof Matches ($4.00 2 oz)

Sub-total: $ 163.00 (42 oz = 2.625 lbs)

Camp Gear:

Katadyn Vario Microfilter ($90.00 15 oz)
    Camping Trowel ($2.00 2 oz)
    NO-SEE-UM HEAD NET ($8.00 0.6 oz)
    LED Head Lamp ($30.00 3 oz)
    Compass ($10.00 5 oz)
    Mirror ($2.00 0.6 0z)
    Fire Starter Kit ($6.00 1.5 oz)
    Ice Axe ($120.00 16 oz)
    Duct Tape
    Sewing Kit (2 oz)
    Off! Deep Woods Repellent ($ 4.00 1.75 oz)
    Roll of Toilet Paper (4 oz)
    Bandanna(x2) ($ 8.00 2 oz)
    Rope 50' ($1.50 2.5 oz)

Sub-total: $ 281.50 (55.95 oz = 3.496875 lbs)

Medical Kit: (16 oz)

Chapstick (UV Protection) ($2.25)
    Benadryl
    Ibuprofen (Vitamin I)
    Imodium
    Multi-Vitamins
    Travel-size toothbrush
    Tooth-paste
    Sunscreen
    Band-aids
    Mole Skin
    Penlight (2 oz)
    Survival Blanket ($2.00 2 oz)

Sub-total: $4.25 (20 oz = 1.25 lbs)

Miscellaneous Items

NIV Trail Bible ($15.00 23.5 oz)
    GPS (7.2 oz)
    Notebook (Journal) (8 oz)

Sub-total: $15.00 (38.7 oz = 2.41875 lbs)

Grand Totals: $ 1,998.02 (453.55 oz = 28.346875 lbs)
    Pack Weight 28.346875

# Liters 5
    Water weight per liter 2.2 = 11 lbs

# Days of Food 7
    Food weight per day (Average 2 pounds) 14 lbs

Total Pack Weight 53.35 lbs

-----------------------------------------------

That's my list. I decided not to do a tarp system because of the nastiness on the trail this year. I figure I might be holed up (snowed in) on the trail for several days and this would be better for me.

I am not looking for a lot of town days- I prefer to be on the trail. My intent is not to blaze the trail in 4 months. I want to enjoy it and take extra time in seeing its wonder. So I plan to hike it in about 6 months.

If anyone can give me some more recommendations I'd appreciate it. I am looking into the tents everyone has mentioned above. Thanks.

//I am a healthy 6'3 205 pound 40 year old male. I don't want to feel like a pack mule.

//Trust me. I am not trying to lug in over 50+ pounds of gear. I am now looking at ways to trim it back a little. I was a shocked as anyone when I did my spreadsheet yesterday!

I am looking into the backpacks everyone has mentioned above. Thanks.

//Can't edit my own post? That sucks. =)

Things on your list (above) that i would not take: heavy tent, footprint, thermo-rest (heavy and the PCT camping is pretty gentle, often sandy), camelback (they leak when it get's below freezing), swimming shorts (your hiking shorts will do, and things dry very quickly out west), scrubs for sleeping, gerber multi-tool, frying pan, fork, trowel, mirror, waterproof matches, 2nd bandana, bible 23 oz.???, 11 lbs of water?

so, i think you could very easily drop a lot of weight. You won't need many of those things and often there are lighter alternatives for not much money. I'm sure you can find many ideas here on whiteblaze.

i never carried more than 3 litres of water and that was once. (learn to camel up) you won't have to carry much water at all in the Sierras when you are carrying your ice ax and possibly heavier clothes. I've never used a footprint in my life and question those that think you need one. Is your tent floor so cheap that it won't stand up to sand?, Thermorest might be nice in the snow but most of your camping will be on nice flat sandy soil. (unlike the AT) Anyway, that's my 2 cents on your packweight. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Nean View Post
    1. It never rains in california, but boy.... It rains up north in the fall...snow too! Some whine more than others. Never use one of those tents.

2.I like 2 liters and a pint. Know your limits.

3.Sounds like you should be able to figure that out.

4.I always wore shorts and a t shirt

5. I sleep with my food. Last I checked it was a violation to hang your food because so many hikers lost their food and so many bears had to be put down. Carry a canister if you're not comfortable in bear country.
    Nean, I love your smilies!!!!

Love, Bucket

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Things on your list (above) that i would not take: heavy tent, footprint, thermo-rest (heavy and the PCT camping is pretty gentle, often sandy), camelback (they leak when it get's below freezing), swimming shorts (your hiking shorts will do, and things dry very quickly out west), scrubs for sleeping, gerber multi-tool, frying pan, fork, trowel, mirror, waterproof matches, 2nd bandana, bible 23 oz.???, 11 lbs of water?

so, i think you could very easily drop a lot of weight. You won't need many of those things and often there are lighter alternatives for not much money. I'm sure you can find many ideas here on whiteblaze.

i never carried more than 3 litres of water and that was once. (learn to camel up) you won't have to carry much water at all in the Sierras when you are carrying your ice ax and possibly heavier clothes. I've never used a footprint in my life and question those that think you need one. Is your tent floor so cheap that it won't stand up to sand?, Thermorest might be nice in the snow but most of your camping will be on nice flat sandy soil. (unlike the AT) Anyway, that's my 2 cents on your packweight. Have fun!
    Thanks for the feedback.

The Footprint is for me to put underneath the Therm-a-Rest when I sleep under the stars. I want to protect it. I also hope to sleep as much as I can beneath the canopy of stars. Tent is for bad/sh!@ty/snow type weather.

The mirror is for my contacts. Learned that lesson the hard way. Hiking an 11 mile loop & a contact slipped. Couldn't correct it- until I made it back to my vehicle.

Valid point on the swimming shorts, frying pan (I was thinking about frying spam- but I'm not packing can foods. Good catch. ), and I guess I don't need a 2nd bandanna.

I read several journals that stated they had 4 to 6 Liters. Sounds like they were needed. I figured 5 L would be safe. Once I reach the Sierra's (or plenty of water on the trail) I could not have them filled to capacity.

Thanks again. Any more positive ideas from the group? Did I forget something important to take?

Quote Originally Posted by karadactyl View Post
    Nean, I love your smilies!!!!

Love, Bucket
    Nean is the smiley king!

So, assuming the snowcover is still substantial in the high sierra when I go through (starting May 15), what will that do to my mileage? Does it slow you down a whole lot, or is it just a pain? How hard would it be to keep on averaging 30's after Kennedy Meadows? If it does slow you down, how much of the trail is really affected? As in, could I really truck it through SoCal to build up some padding for slow days in the mountains?

I only have about 105 days maximum, and I want to make sure that finishing is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by clured View Post
    So, assuming the snowcover is still substantial in the high sierra when I go through (starting May 15), what will that do to my mileage?
    Can you not guess?

Would be tough to maintain 30's through snow.
    Problem's are route finding, fords will take longer looking for the best spot to cross and possibly waiting until morning when the runoff is lower, and then, after 3 pm, there's a good chance that you will be postholing. It's hard to make much of anything when the snow has turned to postholing. Better if you are already up near the tops of the passes at that time of day and then sliding down on your butt once the snow is too soft to walk in.
    I have a video on youtube that shows some of this sliding down the mountain:
    about 1/2 of the way thru the vid is the downhill technique we used a lot. Makes all that hard work of getting up there in the snow worthwhile. http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZEPxDtepd_8

The video is from the CDT. The Sierras has a lot of huge boulders to contend with at the bottom of those runouts so be careful and know how to self arrest.

Terrapin: Obviously the snow will slow me down; that's a given. The question is to what degree. The White's are a huge hit to mileage on the AT, but they are sufficiently contained that it doesn't really massively affect your overall pace. What percentage of the trail will be slowed down by the snow? Like, if it's only about 500 miles, I feel like I could compensate for having to walk 20's with lots of 35's elsewhere. But if it's 1000 miles, it would get harder to finish in my time window, and finishing is important to me.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++