WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    .....My point is the "solution" is reactionary, and won't save anyone a lick of work in the end.
    I understand where you're coming from bfitz. I don't think the mods believe this will save any work at all.

Personally I think it's become logical because a certain percentage of folks appear to be pathologically incapable of understanding the concept of subscription. IOW, they're too dimwitted to unsubscribe to something they find offensive.

Making them pay for it probably won't smarten most of them up. But it will let the rest of us know that they are irretrievably retarded so we don't waste any more emotional energy on them.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Quote Originally Posted by Skidsteer View Post
    But it will let the rest of us know that they are irretrievably retarded so we don't waste any more emotional energy on them.
    Huh??

I understand where you're coming from bfitz. I don't think the mods believe this will save any work at all.

Personally I think it's become logical because a certain percentage of folks appear to be pathologically incapable of understanding the concept of subscription. IOW, they're too dimwitted to unsubscribe to something they find offensive.

Making them pay for it probably won't smarten most of them up. But it will let the rest of us know that they are irretrievably retarded so we don't waste any more emotional energy on them.
    They don't want to unsubscribe. Haters love to hate. Indignance-junkies enjoy what they do. It's like the Howard Stern phenomena. Remember how they were going over his numbers and realized that more the 50% of his audience hated him? You think some of the most indignant posters here are going to stop being offended by things other people say? Under any circumstances?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bfitz View Post
    They don't want to unsubscribe. Haters love to hate. Indignance-junkies enjoy what they do. It's like the Howard Stern phenomena. Remember how they were going over his numbers and realized that more the 50% of his audience hated him? You think some of the most indignant posters here are going to stop being offended by things other people say? Under any circumstances?
    I think more than a handful subscribed to the sensitive/political/world area without ANY interest in it. They subsequently became offended by content they thought everyone was being subjected to. This fix requires 3 hoops to jump through. Donation, subscribing, and giving a reason for subscribing. Sounds like the bases are all covered. Having said that, when it was free, there were some who used Whiteblaze ONLY to mix it up in politics. That is not what this site is about and those members were taking advantage of a facet of this site that was extended as a goodwill gesture to faithful contributors.
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Ed is very correct in everything he says. I would add that some -including, but not limited to, me - were offended not by 'content' (i.e. topics) but by the way some people thought that the User Agreement didn't apply in terms of language choices and personal attacks, which became, at times, vicious circles. I think that the intensity of the effort now signals that the Admins want to make the forums available, but that all of us - us - need to recognize a certain level of responsibility. If I'm wrong about that, well, we'll see how it all plays out.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by ed bell View Post
    I think more than a handful subscribed to the sensitive/political/world area without ANY interest in it. They subsequently became offended by content they thought everyone was being subjected to. This fix requires 3 hoops to jump through. Donation, subscribing, and giving a reason for subscribing. Sounds like the bases are all covered. Having said that, when it was free, there were some who used Whiteblaze ONLY to mix it up in politics. That is not what this site is about and those members were taking advantage of a facet of this site that was extended as a goodwill gesture to faithful contributors.
    As far as people "who used Whiteblaze ONLY to mix it up in politics...taking advantage of a facet of this site that was extended as a goodwill gesture to faithful contributors", that's an unfounded view. Just because someone doesn't post frequently in the same old gear and stove threads over and over doesn't mean they don't read and participate in the website and the community, especially myself! And, my friend, I think you'd be surprised how few here are offended by accident. While the silent majority is happy to read along and enjoy the occassional flame war, the few people who thrive on being offended make a lot of noise and the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Ed is very correct in everything he says. I would add that some -including, but not limited to, me - were offended not by 'content' (i.e. topics) but by the way some people thought that the User Agreement didn't apply in terms of language choices and personal attacks, which became, at times, vicious circles. I think that the intensity of the effort now signals that the Admins want to make the forums available, but that all of us - us - need to recognize a certain level of responsibility. If I'm wrong about that, well, we'll see how it all plays out.

TW
    See what I mean, ed? This guys been permanently offended since I've been aware of him. Not to mention that he regularly engages in his so-called "vicious circles" between sermons about how the rest of us shouldn't. He's been subscribed to the poltical threads since he found out about them, and rather than soothe his outrage by unsubscribing, (and I'm sure he could manage the technical aspect, retarded or not) he'd rather stick around and scold people and occasionally sick moderators on them when they call him names. It's virtually his schtick, I'm not even sure when he's serious about it anymore. To further my point, he and others do this all over the site, and not just in politcs forums, and I fully expect this to continue. (BTW, the Weasel, you know I wouldn't have it any other way... just sayin...) Those who love to be offended can find offense anywhere, and will, trust me. There is no fix for this problem.

In general, though, this website, with or without the forums in question, has less acrimony than just about any other website with similar membership numbers that lets people post. Hikers are just better people I guess....

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dixicritter View Post
    If you are a Donating Member and wish to join the new World Abroad/Political Area, Please use the link in the UserCP under Group Memberships. You will have to wait for your membership request to be approved, but I promise we will get to these as soon as humanly possible.

Here's the link to get to the place in the UserCP where you join the group... Group Memberships

Thank you.
    question, how much moolah does it take to become a lifetime donating member, lifetime meaning the lifetime of Whiteblaze?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Only Wanderer View Post
    question, how much moolah does it take to become a lifetime donating member, lifetime meaning the lifetime of Whiteblaze?
    How much you got?

There is no 'lifetime' member status available that I know of. The whole donating member thing is less than two years old.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah I know. One time I was looking at the scale for donations and it went something like "if you donate this amount then your membership is only good for one year" and it didn't matter if you donated $15.00 or a $1,000.00.

I mean there ought to be a one time donation to become a donating member until the site dies...........

How much you got?

There is no 'lifetime' member status available that I know of. The whole donating member thing is less than two years old.
    Skidsteer is correct this is not something that has been discussed at the present time on the Admin Team yet.

Yeah I know. One time I was looking at the scale for donations and it went something like "if you donate this amount then your membership is only good for one year" and it didn't matter if you donated $15.00 or a $1,000.00.

I mean there ought to be a one time donation to become a donating member until the site dies...........
    Here's the way the system is set up I just went into the adminCP to check before I answered this to be sure.

The yearly donation is $10, if someone pays more than that the system automatically adds time to their subscription expiration date based on how much they paid over the $10. So say you paid $20, you'd get a 2 year subscription.

If you paid an odd amount like $15 the system automatically figures out the number of months to add on. We don't have to do a thing, it is all automatic.

Any discounts for senior citizens?

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Any discounts for senior citizens?
    Sure... $10 and a

Journal Entries
    Images

Here's the way the system is set up I just went into the adminCP to check before I answered this to be sure.

The yearly donation is $10, if someone pays more than that the system automatically adds time to their subscription expiration date based on how much they paid over the $10. So say you paid $20, you'd get a 2 year subscription.

If you paid an odd amount like $15 the system automatically figures out the number of months to add on. We don't have to do a thing, it is all automatic.
    Oh, cool then. I'll go for that.

You guys must have changed it recently?

I dunno, I looks like it's been that way from the research I did. Which doesn't bother me at all. Now I might be wrong and if I am I'm sure Attroll will correct me. I will do some more research into this too.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

The software automatically calculates the amount of time purchased based on the donation? Now that is cool. Wonder if it is possible to contribute on a month-to-month basis? That would settle some of the qualms I've heard about doing an annual donation. Change makes people nervous and some are afraid the site will change to the point that they don't want to be donating members anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    The software automatically calculates the amount of time purchased based on the donation? Now that is cool. Wonder if it is possible to contribute on a month-to-month basis? That would settle some of the qualms I've heard about doing an annual donation. Change makes people nervous and some are afraid the site will change to the point that they don't want to be donating members anymore.
    I understand that change makes people nervous. However, we are not at this time looking at changing the donation process from the yearly basis. Our minimum donation is set very low as it is, the monthly price would be less than $1 per month. We'd actually have to raise the donation amount to make it worth it to go month-to-month because of the PayPal fees. So you see it really wouldn't be a savings to our members to go that route.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I understand that change makes people nervous. However, we are not at this time looking at changing the donation process from the yearly basis. Our minimum donation is set very low as it is, the monthly price would be less than $1 per month. We'd actually have to raise the donation amount to make it worth it to go month-to-month because of the PayPal fees. So you see it really wouldn't be a savings to our members to go that route.
    Thanks for weighing in Dixi with info and can certainly see where the PayPal fees would eat up the profits. Just looking at a potential way for those who are worried to continue to participate.

No one's that worried.

•Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Images

It must have been recent. I sent a $25 check with a holiday card in December 2007, and I'm credited with being a paid member from 1-6-08 to 1-5-09. By the formula Dixi described, I should be paid up 'til mid-2010, I think.

BTW I'm not looking for an extension. I'll gladly pay another $25 next December. But it will be by check, as I've been ripped off by PayPal twice (not in connection with WB). Just wanted to agree with TOW about it being a recent change.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++