WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

My bags have been inspected. The duffle works great.....but make sure there is plenty of extra room in your duffle. TSA is good at finding and inspecting items, but if you packed everything too tight they can't figure out how to get it all back in the bag. I have picked up my bag from the "special" baggage claim with the zipper wide open and some of my stuff taped to the duffle. Fortunately, I haven't had anything lost, stolen or confiscated. If you have extra room, they don't have a problem. It seems that the things they were interested in, but did allow was the Jet Boil and Steri Pen. They did not seem to have a problem with a bottle of bourbon or a bottle of wine.

Cindy From Indy

Quote Originally Posted by criley84 View Post
    ...yeah, ive also considered the whole mailing my pack to the hiker hostel, havent made up my mind yet
    I FedEx'd a Kelty RedWing pack to my cousin in Maine (he's thruhiking SOBO '09). Anyway, shipped it in a U-Haul moving 'large lamp' box ($5). Shipping only cost me $20 bucks!

I had it filled with Christmas presents and odds and ends of stuff. It weighed a ton!! lol

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go this route. I'll ship it in plenty of time of my arrival and let the hostel know it's coming. They've been great!!

I agree with the duffel - i traveled w/o one and my pack actually was damaged on the way to a big trip. ended up losing a side pocket full of good climbing biners, a silva ranger compass, my trowel and a few other small items.

Osprey makes a duffel for just this purpose that has a nice carrying strap. Usually I tack a hike on to business trips so it was well worth the expense, and wouldn't you know it it looks pretty battered already. So glad it's the duffel and not my pack any longer.

Hope this helps; see you on the trail.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstar07 View Post
    I just took a plane from Portland, Maine to Atlanta and I didn't do anything to my pack. They did tape my poles to my pack so I wouldn't loose them! Good luck in you're travels and on your hike!
    Portland, Mainers Unite! You hiking this year?

Kirby

Images

I carried my frameless pack, tarp, clothing, down bag & jacket on the plane last 2 flights w/o any problems. I checked the rest of the gear. I just don't trust my most expensive gear with the airlines and I have the essentials with me, I can still make the hike if the rest is lost. I bought fuel at my destination.

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

The rules for what is and isn't allowed changes often, so you need to check. I think batteries are a no-no now, or recently were.

Babysteps had her pack go missing last spring when she flew to Georgia. She spent the first several days of her hike using borrowed equipment, and constantly contacting the airline to try to find her pack and get it back.

I went the FedEx route last year for the JMT--with the time constraints imposed by the permit system, I didn't want to take a chance of missing my start date.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default Airport Advise Needed (ie. transporting backpack)

So far I've found it easiest to send my pack in advance via UPS. It cost about $35 well spent, in my opinion. I've traveled all over the country that way. I may do that when I go to Sweden this summer.

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Does it matter what you put in your bag if you are putting it under neath the plane and not above with all the passengers.

Kirby

I had no issues checking my pack on the flight home from last year's section hike (USAir, Roanoke->Charlotte->Boston.) I had given away my fuel canister the last evening on the trail. My Lekis were collapsed and inside the pack, Tarptent strapped to the outside.

Images

the newest Backpacker mag has a blurb about not taking a use stove on a plane, unless you totally scrub it down...has anyone had an issue with the stove in checked baggage?

My stove was a little farther down in my pack and when I picked it up at the airport, my bag had been searched and it was on the top. just make sure to place yours at the top of your pack so they can check it out. all of my stuff was there though.
    If you never try you've already failed ~ Me?? Somebody else??

2005 Camino de santiago

Default FedEx Everything

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy from Indy View Post
    I FedEx'd a Kelty RedWing pack to my cousin in Maine (he's thruhiking SOBO '09). Anyway, shipped it in a U-Haul moving 'large lamp' box ($5). Shipping only cost me $20 bucks!

I had it filled with Christmas presents and odds and ends of stuff. It weighed a ton!! lol

I'm pretty sure I'm going to go this route. I'll ship it in plenty of time of my arrival and let the hostel know it's coming. They've been great!!
    I never considered everything ahead, but, using Hiker Hostel as an end destination instead of just an airport gives an arrival address so it is an option. I checked FedEx and a 30 pound box from my zip to their zip code 30533 via FedEx is $19.23.....

2005 Camino de santiago

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    I never considered everything ahead, but, using Hiker Hostel as an end destination instead of just an airport gives an arrival address so it is an option. I checked FedEx and a 30 pound box from my zip to their zip code 30533 via FedEx is $19.23.....
    I have to get edit capability. I left out the word shipping as the third word in above and screwed up the rate, which should have been $16.31 instead instead of $19.23.

But, I wonder if flying on a one-way ticket with no luggage just might raise a red flag or two, especially since one would likely be dressed in 'hiking' clothes

Images

Most airlines will have large, sturdy plastic bags to put your pack in too. Tie it up and check-in.

Good luck to you.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by highway View Post
    I have to get edit capability. I left out the word shipping as the third word in above and screwed up the rate, which should have been $16.31 instead instead of $19.23.

But, I wonder if flying on a one-way ticket with no luggage just might raise a red flag or two, especially since one would likely be dressed in 'hiking' clothes
    Well, you wanna take a cheap carry on bag anyway. Food (on the plane/plane delays?) and a change of clothing. Coat or jacket. Meds. Expensive camera, etc...

Carrying my own snacks on the flight has come in handy on flight delay's more than once for me.

That'll all fit in a cheap nylon duffle style carry on that you can get for 10 bucks and discard or leave at the hostel for someone else to use.

Default Agreed; taking this a bit further...

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs View Post
    Well, you wanna take a cheap carry on bag anyway. Food (on the plane/plane delays?) and a change of clothing. Coat or jacket. Meds. Expensive camera, etc...

Carrying my own snacks on the flight has come in handy on flight delay's more than once for me.

That'll all fit in a cheap nylon duffle style carry on that you can get for 10 bucks and discard or leave at the hostel for someone else to use.
    I'd suggest you use as a carry-on bag a modest-size second backpack (think school kid's) suitable for slackpacking, if there's the remotest chance you're going to do that over the course of your hike. Not everywhere you can slack, is a loaner pack going to be available for you. Also, you can select one more to your taste than the typical hostel loaners.

Even if you're not going to slackpack, such a pack can be a godsend at times, from running around towns on foot (NOT carrying the evening meal's heavy canned foods and heavier drinks in bags in your hands) to being another way to carry water containers when camping/sheltering a long way from the water source.

Quote Originally Posted by criley84 View Post
    I apologize if this has been discussed in length, I searched for awhile and couldnt find anything.

So, do I need to take any precautions in regards to my pack when I fly to Atlanta? For instance, should I just put the pack in a big box? Are they going to sort through my entire pack at check-in?

Im not going to bother with bringing fuel on the flight...but are there other items that might not be kosher at check-in?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    I sent mine UPS to a hotel I stayed at the night before I started hiking. That way I knew it would be there and didn't have to worry about the airline losing it during my connection.

-Bobcat

About a year ago,I wasnt even really thinking about it, and I took my backpack to Brazil. I checked it and everything, and it came back just fine, both there and back. I'm not saying dont take any precautions, butI just dont know that they have to be very extreme.
    Two Beers.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++