WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 28 Pounds!!!!!!

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I am predicting my pack to weigh between 35-45 pounds.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    I call it as I see it, Wolf. There's no "policing." Just an opinion. Take or leave it -- but that's for Liz to decide, not you.

I'm not about to join in the chorus of "Hey, swell, 28 pounds base weight, You Go, Girl!" 28 pounds base weight is heavy, and there's no getting around that. If Liz wants to schlep that, that's her call. I'm not obliged to join the praise party. My conscience obliges me to speak the truth, as I understand it.
    Terrapin before you tell someone their base weight is “kinda heavy.” - at 28 pounds don’t you think you should lighten up your own pack? I mean come on, you pack is kinda heavy too. It just an opinion but you have to admit, a backpacker with 17 YEARS of experience who can’t backpack lightweight themselves should not talk anything about others not going lightweight.

Wolf

Wolf

Umm, Wolf, I never mentioned the weight of my own pack... not in this thread, anyway. Nor have I ever claimed "ultralight" status or anything like that. And my backpacking experience goes back a lot farther than 17 years, thank you very much.

28 lbs before food and water is a bit heavy in my view, just because you are likely to have alteast another 8-10lbs after you add in food and water, which means you are likely to be up around the high 30's mark all up, but this depends on how fast you move down the trail obviously. For example, there is no reason to take 4 days to reach Neels Gap when it's only 30 miles up the trail unless you chosse to take your time, but this obviously depends on fitness levels.

Saying that, I for one don't believe pack weight has a major impact on your trip provided you are in the sub 35lb club, I agree that a 40lb pack is something that should be avoided if possible, mainly due to the impact that weight has on your knees, but you will know better than anyone if that is a problem. I always worry about my knees, they've bothered me on every long distance hike I've ever done, but never to the level where I couldn't continue, but it's painful at times.

Umm, Wolf, I never mentioned the weight of my own pack... not in this thread, anyway. Nor have I ever claimed "ultralight" status or anything like that. And my backpacking experience goes back a lot farther than 17 years, thank you very much.
    You are right you have not mention it in this thread but you have mention it here at WB in another thread.

I never said you made any claims to be "ultralight" or anything like it only that your backpack is kinda heavy. Your backpack being kinda heavy, well lets be honest, I wouldn't want to carry it.

And as for you backpack more than 17 years, ok. I believe you but you still backpack kinda heavy.

Wolf

Images

I encourage everyone to do what works best for them, but it was my personal experience that going from 35 to 22 lbs total pack weight increased my enjoyment of long distance hiking significantly. It became much less like work, and the increased agility and better balance made me less likely to sustain an injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    I never said you made any claims to be "ultralight" or anything like it only that your backpack is kinda heavy. Your backpack being kinda heavy, well lets be honest, I wouldn't want to carry it.
    Get a grip, man. By this same reasoning, you'd be much less happy carrying lizincali's pack. Why bring up other threads? In other threads, you are well known as an extreme ultralighter. So what gives? Why not be straight with liz, instead of getting on my case?

Quote Originally Posted by slowandlow View Post
    I encourage everyone to do what works best for them, but it was my personal experience that going from 35 to 22 lbs total pack weight increased my enjoyment of long distance hiking significantly. It became much less like work, and the increased agility and better balance made me less likely to sustain an injury.
    Similar experiences here. Better mileage, more fun at age 55 than age 37, largely due to 30% less weight on my back.

Get a grip, man. By this same reasoning, you'd be much less happy carrying lizincali's pack. Why bring up other threads? In other threads, you are well known as an extreme ultralighter. So what gives? Why not be straight with liz, instead of getting on my case?
    Terrapin,

My point is this, from your point of view lizincali’s pack is “kinda heavy” just like from my prospective your pack is “kinda heavy”. Just like you don’t like me telling you that your pack is heavy do you think others like hearing it form you? I could go around telling most people their pack is “kinda heavy” but I don’t because it is their choice how much weight they want to carry. If they want to carry less, they will. It is just as easy to put something in as it is to take it out.

Lizincali’s seems happy with her base weight. Sure she could travel with less just like ever person here on WB, but you should only backpack with less if your comfortable doing so. Some hikers are comfortable carrying 28 pounds base others are not but if you jump into lightweight or ultra-light backpacking to quickly most people are not going to enjoy it.

Wolf

Let it go, Wolf. This isn't about you or me. I told Liz her pack was "kinda heavy." In the very next sentence, I apologized for being blunt.

She's a big girl. She can take my opinion, and yours, and all the others on this thread, and decide for herself. Sayonara, big fella.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I am predicting my pack to weigh between 35-45 pounds.

Kirby
    Really? I suppose you're young enough to handle it just fine. But it does seem heavier than it needs to be. I can remember when I carried a 55-60 lbs. pack and thought nothing of it. I was about your age then. I was still hiking faster than my companions and comfortable at camp. Of course, I was in much better physical shape than I am now. I don't plan on carrying much over 35 lbs at any time. My pack weight is only a few pounds lighter that what Liz is carrying. But I'm comfortable with that. I may be able to shed another pound or two myself.

WL

Terrapin and Wolf, Please stop arguing. While I am proud of my weight I do know it could have been less but most of my gear was personal choice of what I thought would be better for me. I appreciate your critizism Terrapin you have many years of experience where I have little. Part of my dilema also in chosing gear was finances, I have been working and going to college full time and rent in California is not cheap. I chose also according to price. Wolf thank you for standing up for me but Terrapins words did not wound me I know alot of people were going to tell me that is still "kinda heavy" That is one of the reasons I told everyone in the beginning that I wasn't professing to attempt to be UL. I am happy with my current weight and can't wait to see what all I can send home at Neel's Gap. But my big three are heavy than most so atleast until I feel comfortable with fly and foot print ala tarp tent style (kinda) and send my tent body home I'll stick with heavy. Again thank you both for your critiques and support, but please just feel the love I am sending both of your ways in hopes to resolve the argument between you.
    If you never try you've already failed ~ Me?? Somebody else??

just feel the love
    You'll soon feel the love when you are out on the trail. It's much different there than here. There you will see all sorts of people with all sorts of base weights. The best part is that you get to walk somewhere different every day.

lizincali, you may be surprised to find that lightweight gear is often less expensive than its heavy brethren. There's a misconception that to lighten up you have to spend big bucks. But an alcohol stove can be made for free at home and weighs less than an ounce, vs a white gas stove that costs at least $100 and may weigh a pound!

Why wait until Neel's Gap, when you could lighten up now. You'll save the money for postage to send everything home!

Images

Why wait until Neel's Gap, when you could lighten up now. You'll save the money for postage to send everything home!
    I second that. Go on a shake down hike. There aren't many mountains in Dallas, but you could put 35lbs in your pack and start walking stairs in a stadium. You'll know if its too heavy before you set foot on the trail.

GA - Central PA 1977
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jessebrent View Post
    There aren't many mountains in Dallas, but you could put 35lbs in your pack and start walking stairs in a stadium. You'll know if its too heavy before you set foot on the trail.
    I think the original poster is from S Cal so maybe this post is directed at someone else..In either case...Climbing stairs, while it is good exercise and does help build leg muscles, isn`t a good exercise for backpacking in mountians as you are stepping on a horizontal plane..Walking a trail up a mountain your body is pretty much upright or tilted forward but your foot isn`t aimed flat as it is on level ground or on steps..It is tilted upwards which stretches your calf muscles at the same time they are under stress and if you aren`t use to or prepared for that it will be quite a shock
    Sometimes you can't hear them talk..Other times you can.
    The same old cliches.."Is that a woman or a man?"
    You always seem out-numbered..You don't dare make a stand.

Images

She went to Big D. Home of the loser Cowboys.

Ha!

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

I just weighed my pack, and it comes in at 39 pounds. I predict that once I add a couple more items I will be between 40-43, which I am perfectly fine with.

Kirby

After doing my thru hike,my advice is this......Carry 20 llbs minus food and water.It was obvious the people doing that looked happier than the ones who carried 28 plus food and water.I did not fuss over a couple llbs,but 8 extra would have sucked!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++