WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: camp shoes?

Default camp shoes?

I am one of those comfort-loving people who would love to change into something light and airy after a long day in Asolos.

What would be a good camp shoe?

This is a piece of equipment, on which I am willing to splurge.

all advice appreciated,

happy trails,
    t.

i don't use "camp shoes" but everybody else uses Crocs/Holey Soles/Nothinz type shoes

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Goo doold fashioned flip-flops available anywhere for a couple bucks and feather light. Anything much more than that is a waste of money, IMO.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

In my opinion the best camp shoes are $1.00 beach flip flops from a discount store. They are compact, light, are perfect around camp and for going to the bathroom in the middle of the night (easy on, easy off), are lightweight, non-absorbent, and make great shower shoes for hostels.
    Last edited by Appalachian Tater; 02-13-2008 at 14:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    In my opinion the best camp shoes are $1.00 beach flip flops from a discount store.
    That works, except that small matter of wanting socks on your feet at times. Another idea is a cheap pair of moccasins.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    That works, except that small matter of wanting socks on your feet at times. Another idea is a cheap pair of moccasins.
    You can wear the cheap flip flops with socks if you don't pull the socks on tight around your toes, although I prefer to air my feet out when not actually wearing my hiking shoes.

I use my Reef flip flops. They have been great even in cold temps.

Images

Waldies/Crocs/Nothinz.

One advantage is that you can hike in them if you get really bad heel blisters.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Holey Soles/Crocs. They are light,airy, and in a pinch you can hike in them to a trail head, if something happen to your boots. This happened to me.

Images

Don't need 'em, don't use 'em.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Waldies

my calloused feet work real well

those with feet issues may enjoy the structure and support of crocs vs $1.00 flip flops

that being said they do weigh more.

Images

Just picked up a pair of Nike flops at Dicks Sporting Good. They weighed only 7.70oz for the pair. Cost was $20.00. These flops have a wide support that goes across the top of your foot, not that little holder that rubs between your toes.

They have a nice solid sole that your dont feel all the small rocks and branches while walking around.

Made out of rubber, so they clean easily.

have to agree with the point about socks, and i never liked havin' that strap thing between my toes. last spring i found knock-off crocs for 5 bucks at a local hardware store- very woolworths kind of place- keep your eyes peeled. i think the real ones are overpriced and i wear these all the time now. soooo comfy and i am on my feet all day at work in them.

I hike in Chacos,camp in Chacos,shower in Chacos,creekcross in Chacos....maybe I should get some thick heavy stiff leather boots for camp wear???

I like a nice pair of keens... Lightweight, they have some support (so they can be hiked in, in case of emergency), decent soles, socks can be worn with them, they are pricey but they don't fall apart, and they are great in water for river crossings....

I like to hike in broken-in leather hiking boots. They give me the most protection from sprained ankles. So for me, the extra weight is worth the trade off to protect those ankles.

Images

Imitation Crocs from Walmart $5.00 Get a Bright color so you don't walk off and leave one. I had a $35 pair of crocs that were OD green, left on somewhere in NC, the other I threw in the trash at NOC.

I believe it was Brawny who came up with the idea of using cast-off insoles as shower/camp shoes. Just improvise a lace of sorts from cordage. Not easy on/off like shower flip flops but you could wear goretex socks with them and they would work in the cold.

Don't buy your flip-flops from WalMart - Chinese junk. This was also on local radios here that our govt has to be extra careful on these cheap imports from China - especially clothes - because the Chinese are using some strong but cheap chemical in their manufacturing process. Cheap can be expensive on your feet.

I have never used these type of flip-flops so don't know first hand

Click on the SNOPES link below, and there is a link to a website with some gross pictures of feet who have been affected.

Snopes Flip Flop Info
    ad astra per aspera

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++