WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Mental health, absolutely!
    That's the reason I'm doing it!

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

I agree with Canerunner. I couldn't have said it better. Hiking has put me in the good shape I am in.

Frau

Mental health is my 2nd reason.

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

GGS2--

Elegant, eloquent advice...

Frau

I am a first year medical student in North Carolina and I'm working on a proposal to do a study on the AT this summer. I posted something earlier, and from the responses that I got from it and some input from professors I've decided to try and tweak my idea a bit.

I would like to identify some people who are hiking the trail because (not necessarily only because) they want to regain control of their physical health. I want to look at how the change in the emotional state (i expect that most people will be happier on the trail, or at least feel more free...but maybe not) effects the progression of their physical status.

At first I was planning on conducting it more like a clinical trial, but I just don't have the means or the expertise to make my data scientifically viable, so rather than just crunching numbers I'd like to take a more subjective slant and just try and tell people's story as they progress along the trail (i'm thinking through video interviews).

I still plan to try and take some measurements, and if I can get some agreeable numbers that will be neat, but it won't be the main focus.

Let me know what you guys think about that please.

You could tag along with us for a bit. Though we are leaving on April 4th from GA and are only hiking for a couple of months.

Images

I hike for my lower back. I've had lower back pain for years (nearing 20 yrs. now) and 3 years ago I had surgery to remove a very large herniated disc.

Hiking strengthens my torso and gives relief usually by the next day.

The long winters in NH without hiking and my "sit down" day job really irritates my back, right about this time of the year I can't wait for spring so I can hit the trail.

The thru-hike has to wait until I retire, (wife, kids, mortgage, etc...).

I plan to use my vacation time and do 120 miles this summer, Kinsman Notch NH to Grafton Notch Maine.

Last year was 55 miles on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway, NH

I'm with you on the back thing...... Why wait for spring to hike? The trail is there all year long. We spend as much time in the woods in winter as we do in the summer. With the proper gear warmth isn't an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by FeO2 View Post
    I hike for my lower back. I've had lower back pain for years (nearing 20 yrs. now) and 3 years ago I had surgery to remove a very large herniated disc.

Hiking strengthens my torso and gives relief usually by the next day.

The long winters in NH without hiking and my "sit down" day job really irritates my back, right about this time of the year I can't wait for spring so I can hit the trail.

The thru-hike has to wait until I retire, (wife, kids, mortgage, etc...).

I plan to use my vacation time and do 120 miles this summer, Kinsman Notch NH to Grafton Notch Maine.

Last year was 55 miles on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway, NH

Images

Jason Im 24 and have had back pain for about 6 years. Im shure it hasnt been has bad as your situation, considering i havnt had any surguries. But it has deff. been a huge burden in my life. i dont think its ever going to go away, but when ever I go hiking or climbing, for a longer period of time ie. longer the a couple weeks, it goes away. When I thru hiked in 05 the pain was gone for at least over a year after the hike. I really cant pinpoint it, it could be the long hikes, the wieght on the back, but for some reason I feel it is the mental and physical change you encounter when you are doing long term outdoor activites. For me this year I am thru-hiking for exactly those reasons.

Always loved hiking but a health issue a couple of years ago has given me new motivation and renewed passion for time in the woods.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++