WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
    ...She carried a dog first aid kit (tiny) and a small roll of emergency food and tiny foldable dog dish. That's going to be it pretty much.
    --des
    I can't imagine there'd be room for much else in the paniers on the smaller packs.make sure you put everything in something waterproff(ziplock, ect.), most dogs that get hot wont hesitate to go for a swim with or without their packs on.
    We are asleep with compasses in our hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouen View Post
    I can't imagine there'd be room for much else in the paniers on the smaller packs.make sure you put everything in something waterproff(ziplock, ect.), most dogs that get hot wont hesitate to go for a swim with or without their packs on.
    It's a good idea! I don't think Torie will take a plunge, given the limited no. of places to do so. However, I still have the roll of food wrapped up so it can be rewrapped and the first aid kit is just a plastic bag with various items.

I think the small pack could fit water, but it couldn't be carried upright. I changed my mind and am carrying the water. This last hike I carried a small one without (for her) and a large one with. For a longer hike I'll carry equal size waters one with and one without. My pack allows me to take water out without unpacking. If I could figure it out, I'd like to attach a water bowl to my pack in some way so I wouldn't have to repack. The folding bowls are a nuisance, but I do have one. I finally got her drinking on the trail. I give her little sips in a hard plastic bowl. She has started drinking it while being poured.

I forgot some small treats for the trail as well. Something like some doggies style trail mix.

--des

I think the small pack could fit water, but it couldn't be carried upright. I changed my mind and am carrying the water. This last hike I carried a small one without (for her) and a large one with. For a longer hike I'll carry equal size waters one with and one without. My pack allows me to
    --des

This is confusing. There doesn't seem to be a way of editing posts. But this is with and without electrolites. It's a mix that's lemon lime flavored. I doubt Torie would touch it.

--des

It's a good idea! I don't think Torie will take a plunge, given the limited no. of places to do so. However, I still have the roll of food wrapped up so it can be rewrapped and the first aid kit is just a plastic bag with various items.

I think the small pack could fit water, but it couldn't be carried upright. I changed my mind and am carrying the water. This last hike I carried a small one without (for her) and a large one with. For a longer hike I'll carry equal size waters one with and one without. My pack allows me to take water out without unpacking. If I could figure it out, I'd like to attach a water bowl to my pack in some way so I wouldn't have to repack. The folding bowls are a nuisance, but I do have one. I finally got her drinking on the trail. I give her little sips in a hard plastic bowl. She has started drinking it while being poured.

I forgot some small treats for the trail as well. Something like some doggies style trail mix.

--des
    Have you ever tried a sports bottle with Torie? My last two dogs have both drunk from the pop-up type caps. It takes some practice on their part to do it efficiently so they don't spill more on the ground than they actually consume. The other thing is, it's pretty unnatural for them and if they drink too fast they choke a bit. Again, both of my last two dogs were able to overcome this too with practice. I do this so I don't have to unpack a bowl on our breaks. I don't care for the collapsible bowls, never had much luck with them, but I bring a small aluminum bowl for water when we set up camp and they can drink at will then.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysHiking View Post
    Have you ever tried a sports bottle with Torie? My last two dogs have both drunk from the pop-up type caps. It takes some practice on their part to do it efficiently so they don't spill more on the ground than they actually consume. The other thing is, it's pretty unnatural for them and if they drink too fast they choke a bit. Again, both of my last two dogs were able to overcome this too with practice. I do this so I don't have to unpack a bowl on our breaks. I don't care for the collapsible bowls, never had much luck with them, but I bring a small aluminum bowl for water when we set up camp and they can drink at will then.
    She might yet learn. I had a small hard plastic bowl and was pouring a small amt of water into the bowl and she started lapping the pouring water. Maybe we should work on this?? She might be motivated to learn this if I mixed the water with some chicken broth?

It seems a lot of dogs can do this. Torie catches treats in mid-air and I have never actually taught her this.

But has anyone taught their dog to drink from a bottle like this?

--des

She might yet learn. I had a small hard plastic bowl and was pouring a small amt of water into the bowl and she started lapping the pouring water. Maybe we should work on this?? She might be motivated to learn this if I mixed the water with some chicken broth?

It seems a lot of dogs can do this. Torie catches treats in mid-air and I have never actually taught her this.

But has anyone taught their dog to drink from a bottle like this?

--des
    My last dog could drink from the hose on my water bladder. She didn't lick the bite valve, just drank the water as it poured out. I always found though that more water got wasted that way then if she could get her tongue on the cap of a bottle.

I use Platty water bottles and keep one in each pannier of the dog pack. I love that they collapse, and their shape even when full is perfect for a pannier.

Images

Default best dog pack

I'm going to have to say "granite gear". They are simple in design, comfortable, and breathable. Or at least that's what the beast said(my dog) cody. They also are very cool about replacing gear that gets worn out.
    Lumber

Quote Originally Posted by Lumber View Post
    I'm going to have to say "granite gear". They are simple in design, comfortable, and breathable. Or at least that's what the beast said(my dog) cody. They also are very cool about replacing gear that gets worn out.
    I had a granite gear for one of my dogs. Do you find that the pack doesn't ride well if it's not full? No way of compressing the load no matter what I tried. It only rode well under a full load and that only works the first few days until consumables are used up. Any experiences like that with your GG?

Default Banzai!

I did a bunch of research and discovered a company called Wolf Packs that makes a pack called the Banzai. They have some great testimonials (and the pictures are cool). I wondered if anyone had any experience with these.

Quote Originally Posted by disquegolfer View Post
    I did a bunch of research and discovered a company called Wolf Packs that makes a pack called the Banzai. They have some great testimonials (and the pictures are cool). I wondered if anyone had any experience with these.
    I borrowed a Trekker from a friend for a while. I really liked the quality and build of the pack. I believe they're pulling the Trekker from their line, but I know the Banzai is supposed to be even better.

The only think I thought was a negative for the Trekker was the width of it and the lack of compression.

I have tried 3 packs for my hound (retired racer):

Kelty Chuckwagon- Well-made, rode forward a bit. Bonus bear bell!! It was the proper size and adjusted correctly. Had to check too often for my taste- liked the fit 90%, but ultimately not satisfied. Though minor, I could not realistically pick up my 70 lb girl with the handle due to the forward shifting.

Outward Hound (lg red one)- Less well made than the Kelty. Larger capacity. Pack is built onto a detachable nylon vest which is nice. I liked the fit better than the Kelty, though. Could pick her up (velcro held at 70), but would not trust. Did not like that there were no horizontal dividers in the long pockets to keep gear from moving back towards her mid-section. Harder to keep balanced than others which is why I no longer have it. Nice pack to gauge a pup's reaction-- I like the underlying vest more than the pack.

Ruffwear Approach II-- Best pack I tried for her. Well thought-through. Snug fit. Can pick her up w/no strap slide (no mean feat for the long girl). Under-buckles cinch on the side-- *very important*, you can cinch them down w/o worrying about the skin/fur getting caught in the middle underneath (either in the slider or buckle). ***Fleece strap cozies-- great & necessary***. The neoprene harness is snug w/two attachment points (rear nylon loop looks a little suspect for a big puller-- could be wrong here). Load balancing is easy due to the shape of the pockets. Middle of the road capacity, but my max target for her is ~8lbs. Worth the extra ~$20.

Fit is all important.

Good luck.

Images

Ruffwear also makes the Palisades Pack™ II which has the same harness as the Approach II, but allows you to remove the pack easily with two clips in forward top of the harness, and one clip aft, and velcro that keeps the pack from sliding on the harness. I unclip the pack at every stop that I put my pack down, and a few where I keep mine on!

It has compression straps.... One large pocket on either side, one smaller pocket on each side of the larger pocket, one little pocket on top on either side, all of which I like.

It also has a "hydration compartment" on the part of the pack closest to the body on either side, with mylar type bladders that easily pull out. I keep them pulled out, as I don't use them. I carry water for both of us, as well as both of our food. My dog carries the tent... fly and ground cloth on one side, tent body on the other. She carries the tent stakes, I've got the poles. It is easier for me to do it like this, since her pack is easier to keep properly weighted like that. When carrying water or food, the weight is always changing, and you constantly have to rebalance. And with her carrying the tent, I don't have to go into my pack in the rain...

I think it is easier for her, too... the bulk doesn't shift, and is pretty light.

I have put a couple of flat things in the hydration compartment, like a couple of emergency blankets.. though I've never really figured out what I wanted to put there...

I put my chapstick in the top of her pack, where it is real easy to get too... and misc little stuff I might not want to dig for.

I've got the Approach II and the Pallisades II, and use them both, but I like the Pallisades better for hiking...

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

Nomad--

I checked the Ruffwear website Mercy posted. I don't see the fleece strap liners/cozies you mention. Where are they, do you know? Or can they just not be seen in the photos?

Frau

Images

Frau,

The Pallisades II has identical strap covers that the Approach II has. By the way, I throw the covers in the washing machine sometimes, too.

The packs are on the same harness configuration...same straps, covers, webbing, etc. The packs are different, and the Pallisades pack unhooks from the harness...

Mercy

Quote Originally Posted by Frau View Post
    Nomad--

I checked the Ruffwear website Mercy posted. I don't see the fleece strap liners/cozies you mention. Where are they, do you know? Or can they just not be seen in the photos?

Frau
    I haven't seen any pix that really do it justice, but the fleece straps, padding goes under the dog. There do not seem to be any rough spots, at least that I could find.

It's great also if you pick your dog up by the straps. This has been a great thing. She is much better about being picked up by the handle. It also keeps YOU balanced. (Of course, she only weighs 20 lbs or so.)

I also think that a pack (even though it holds little in her case), keeps the dog focused. She knows she is on the job (Corgis are a working breed, though.)

--des

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

I figured I was simply not able to see the fleece. AND, chances are I will NOT be lifting a 70 pound dog by a handle. I have a very cheap pack that we found used at a flea market, for $5. I figured $5 was a cheap way to see if Win would tolerate the pack. He did fine, but we had to replace a buckle which then broke. At least we know he will wear whatever more expensive one I get him.

Frau

Images

FWIW,

My 70 lb (English) labrador retriever wears a medium.

Wt of empty Pallisades II 2lb 1.8 oz w/o mylar hydration bags
    Previously recorded wt was closer to 2 lb 1 oz. Don't know what was different then....
    Hydrations bags are 2 oz ea (I don't use them)

Wt of empty Approach II 1lb 3.6 oz
    Last edited by Mercy; 02-26-2008 at 09:48. Reason: accidentally sent early... added previous wt

Quote Originally Posted by Frau View Post
    I figured I was simply not able to see the fleece. AND, chances are I will NOT be lifting a 70 pound dog by a handle. I have a very cheap pack that we found used at a flea market, for $5. I figured $5 was a cheap way to see if Win would tolerate the pack. He did fine, but we had to replace a buckle which then broke. At least we know he will wear whatever more expensive one I get him.

Frau
    I would suppose the fleece would be less chafing, but whatever works for the "pup". :-)

--des

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeGRRL View Post
    Thank you everyone for your help! IMO loving owners would never do ANYTHING to harm their dog.
    Reading this thread is enlightening. Almost all of the posters are completely unaware that their dog cannot talk and tell them if the pack is harming them.
    Yes, most dog people think that they would never do anything to harm their dog, however they NEVER take into consideration that they are to ignorant to know if they are or not.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++