WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Robert Redford heads from Sundance to the Appalachian Trail - CBC.ca

CBC.ca

Robert Redford heads from Sundance to the Appalachian Trail
    CBC.ca,  Canada - 12 minutes ago
    Redford says he will adapt Bill Bryson's 1998 book about hiking the Appalachian Trail. Robert Redford, shown at the opening news conference for the Sundance ...

More...

Journal Entries
    Images

This should be interesting.............

As in "dessert" not "desert"

The thru-hiking year after that movie comes out will be known as "The Year" for the rest of AT history. It will be like the starting line of the Boston Marathon, or the scene in Jaws where the guys are all out in crazy boats trying to catch the shark.

Journal Entries
    Images

Do you think it will ruin the trail? I mean at least where I live in Northeast Georgia, everybody knows at least the trail is there. Do you think there are really that many people out there who don't know this thing exists and after seeing the movie will say "Hey, I'm gonna quit my job and go do this thing!"?

Assuming some of them have jobs, John?

If you look at the numbers, it looks like Bryson's book actually influenced a large number of people to do so-- I think a movie with some great scenery, a funny cast, etc., would create bedlam at least in the traditional thru-hiking season following the movie's release.

On the other hand, how much fun would it be to watch from the sidelines, or to buy expensive gear on the cheap from people quitting?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

People know the trail is there, but the idea of mainstream people hiking it isn't mainstream. Only us crazy hikers do that

Most people I know aren't hikers - they can't wrap their minds around the idea of living in the woods for days on end. They think there is a bear around every corner waiting to steal your food and that rattlesnakes and copperheads lay in wait for hikers. They think it is impossible to stay relatively clean and that we freeze to death every night. They think we live on beef jerky and instant breakfast bars. They also think we carry 50 to 60 lbs each. It's little wonder they aren't chomping at the bit to get out there.

If the movie brings out all of the services available to AT hikers and the relative lack of remoteness of the AT, it may well increase the traffic as people will realize the AT just isn't all that hard a trail to tackle.

I don't think it will ruin the trail, but I agree about the film boosting the number of AT hikers. There are tons of people who don't read (and so haven't already read the book) and who aren't familiar with the trail who will be all excited about hiking the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, I didn't think of it from that side of the deal. But I do like the idea of sitting in Winton's parking lot and buying expensive gear for pennies on the dollar after those folks bail out. I might would station my wife over at Woody Gap to make the cheap buys too!!!

I guess we'll just have to see what pans out.

I think the screenplay will need substantial "adapting" from the book. The book is funny, but to make the movie funny, it will need some changes.

I'll guarantee you that they have a bear scene of some sort in it, with a bear doing something peculiarly unbearlike.

well guys it was fun while it lasted

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

You guys are all being Eeyors!!! Doom and gloom. Remember there are alot of people who will see the movie, but the thought of being out for months, or quitting their jobs and giving up their creature comforts...C'mon, you might see a rise, but many will figure out by Neels Gap that it isn't for them. Most of the trail won't see any spikes. You might see more dayhikers, but isn't awareness of trail issues a good thing? Decide what you want, you can't have it all.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    You guys are all being Eeyors!!! Doom and gloom. Remember there are alot of people who will see the movie, but the thought of being out for months, or quitting their jobs and giving up their creature comforts...C'mon, you might see a rise, but many will figure out by Neels Gap that it isn't for them. Most of the trail won't see any spikes. You might see more dayhikers, but isn't awareness of trail issues a good thing? Decide what you want, you can't have it all.
    Maybe a lot of people will see it and decide since they've already seen it all in the movie, there is no need to actually go out and do it in person?

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by whiteblaze View Post

CBC.ca

Robert Redford heads from Sundance to the Appalachian Trail
    CBC.ca, Canada - 12 minutes ago
    Redford says he will adapt Bill Bryson's 1998 book about hiking the Appalachian Trail. Robert Redford, shown at the opening news conference for the Sundance ...

More...
    =====================================

They've asked me to play Newman's role but I'd have to shave my beard. I told them I'd rather be an "extra"

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Most Americans don't read more then whats in their supermarket checkout line, but Americans do watch movies in large numbers and Robert Redford is well known, so hike your hike before "they" come!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

While I may increase the number of 'starters' I doubt it will greatly affect the number of 'finishers.' Surely there will be an increase of day, weekend and section hikers for a spell. Probably the first season after the movie, then the numbers will dwindle again.

Images

....... but many will figure out by Neels Gap that it isn't for them. Most of the trail won't see any spikes. . . . .
    The challenge that we (the GATC) have to prepare for is what happens before Neels Gap. We could always use more volunteers.

Of course, it might pay to set up a stand just past Sasafrass and offer to shuttle wannabe hikers back to Dahlonega in exchange for their gear .
    A bad day on the trail beats a good day most anywhere else.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post
    The challenge that we (the GATC) have to prepare for is what happens before Neels Gap. We could always use more volunteers.

Of course, it might pay to set up a stand just past Sasafrass and offer to shuttle wannabe hikers back to Dahlonega in exchange for their gear .
    What a great idea!! Contact me about becoming a member of the GATC please sir?

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by briarpatch View Post

I agree to a point, hopefully he'll hike the approach trail in the movie and it will get people to quit by the Springer Parking Lot!!!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    Do you think it will ruin the trail? I mean at least where I live in Northeast Georgia, everybody knows at least the trail is there. Do you think there are really that many people out there who don't know this thing exists and after seeing the movie will say "Hey, I'm gonna quit my job and go do this thing!"?
    it's pretty much ruined as it is. just build more shelters. a movie ain't gonna hurt it any more

http://www.facebook.com/themissjanet Miss Janet's Avatar
    Images

Default Why do you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by john30563 View Post
    Yeah, I didn't think of it from that side of the deal. But I do like the idea of sitting in Winton's parking lot and buying expensive gear for pennies on the dollar after those folks bail out. I might would station my wife over at Woody Gap to make the cheap buys too!!!

I guess we'll just have to see what pans out.
    Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    While I may increase the number of 'starters' I doubt it will greatly affect the number of 'finishers.' Surely there will be an increase of day, weekend and section hikers for a spell. Probably the first season after the movie, then the numbers will dwindle again.

MOST people that begin the AT as a Thruhike don't finish. But a lot more than you think make it a lot farther than you think. The "hoards" of unprepared hikers quitting before Neels Gap is just not true. Sure some do, some never make it Neels Gap but over 80% of those that start make it to Erwin every year. Funny thing is... a lot of those that went home were experienced and well prepared and some that make it were poster children for who SHOULDN"T have made it! I am convinced that attitude, luck and heart are the really big factors in long distance hiking.

Most of the class of 2008 will be new to this even if they are very prepared. All the gear and knowledge in the world will not get you up the trail. I believe the numbers will go up after the film is made... maybe a huge jump in the years after the movie come out but I think that they will be as well prepared as most of those starting this year will be.

Besides, the world will see the movie, go home and GOOGLE "Hiking the Appalachian Trail" and they will find Whiteblaze and you all will tell them everything there is to know and they will all be experts when they start! There will be hikers finishing the whole trail in big numbers! Plus the thousands that will take up hiking as a new activity.

That means I need to plan at least twice as many Yurts for the Erwin Hiking Center!!

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++