WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

I agree wolfster.. yuck .. ga is a complete zoo and sorta spooky these days.

i agree with the wolfster.. ga is kinda spooky these days and a place i avoid except to get hiking.. the movie ain't gonna change that..

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    Blake,

I don't underestimate the average American I know him quite well, I teach his children and I can tell you right now that most Americans will have absolutely zero desire to go out and spend days in the forest. That being said I realize that the trail will most likely see a bump in those that start, but America has also become very much a vicarious country, and they enjoy watching rather than doing. You forget you are a doer, most in America, are content to stay home and watch about it, or get out and walk a mile when they cross the trail.
    That's a fair point. I just think the movie will plant the seed in a lot of minds that normally wouldn't have even considered it. College kids, high school kids, people out of work, or in between jobs, retirees and the like will see this movie and might say, hey that's something I might like to try.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Then there's the good side: if it does create a lot of crowds on the trail, even the ones who quit will probably have some fond memories of it, and will remain friends with the trail, even if it "wasn't what they expected." Also, some people will simply take to it, in the manner of many who had never hiked much before their thru-hike. That wouldnt' be such a bad thing either.

It will have some positive impact I agree. The hostels, especially those down South, will get a nice bump and of course all outfitters along the trail will see more business.

It'd be fun to stop at Mountain Crossings @ Walasi-Yi sometime in early March. They'll be printing money! $$$$$

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    well guys it was fun while it lasted
    There will probably be a one or two year surge, with a few people staying with the trail for keeps, but we, and the trail, will survive.

Your advice on a SOBO that year is probably good, though. I see from your journal that you're partial to that direction.

Besides, they're the taxpayers we've asked to support trail lands, search and rescue, etc. We can only kvetch but so much.

RIT, what brings you to the Bronx? And where? I grew up in Marble Hill (by some arguments Manhattan), but have been gone over 25 years.

I feel lucky to have gotten out with no bullet holes or substance abuse issues (other than carbs) and only mild PSTD.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    ..and only mild PSTD.
    Perhaps dyslexia as well...I meant PTSD.

That's a fair point. I just think the movie will plant the seed in a lot of minds that normally wouldn't have even considered it. College kids, high school kids, people out of work, or in between jobs, retirees and the like will see this movie and might say, hey that's something I might like to try.
    Isn't this the same group that has been hiking the trail for years??

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    . ...They also think we carry 50 to 60 lbs each. It's little wonder they aren't chomping at the bit to get out there....
    Hey, you mean my pack should be lighter? Wow! that will be great.

All of this talk makes me WANT to hike the trail the year after the movie comes out. Meeting all of the crazy people who decided to hike the AT after watching the movie sounds like a good time. The shelters might be full, but who cares, there are plenty of good camp sites.

Also, I agree with Miss Janets post from a few weeks ago... the hikers who start the trail after watching the movie will probably be just as likely to finish the trail as everyone else

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jrwiesz View Post
    Did they have anybody in mind for the, "Mooning the Cog" parts?
    ======================================

I don't think they've gotten that far into the script yet !!

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

I don't think Bryson mentions that in his book at all. It must not have been a tradition in 1997.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

I dont think this is good for the trail. IMHO.
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Images

Gotta agree with the girls, with Redford in it, I'll go see it. He is a sight to behold...but not my idea of a Bryson...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Gotta agree with the girls, with Redford in it, I'll go see it. He is a sight to behold...but not my idea of a Bryson...
    I don't know about that. HE's starting to look like Darth Vaders boss.

I think Warren Doyle would make a fine Bryson and Jack would be a good Katz. Now I would pay to see that.

Clyde

I think you're underestimating your typical American.

The average American watches an average of 2.5 to 3 hours of television daily. We are very much so a tv/movie orientated culture. People see things on TV and Movies and they are enamored with what they see. How many hours do you think people spend w/ a book? It's a different league.

The importance of the book has not faded but it pales in comparison to the impact a feature film has. Whatever impact the book had in terms of numbers, the movie will have 100x the impact.

My advice would be is if you were planning a thru hike the year this movie comes out, you may want to consider going SOBO because Georgia is going to be an absolute zoo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    Blake,

I don't underestimate the average American I know him quite well, I teach his children and I can tell you right now that most Americans will have absolutely zero desire to go out and spend days in the forest. That being said I realize that the trail will most likely see a bump in those that start, but America has also become very much a vicarious country, and they enjoy watching rather than doing. You forget you are a doer, most in America, are content to stay home and watch about it, or get out and walk a mile when they cross the trail.
    A CASE FOR TELEVISION
    Probably the best thing ever to happen to backpackers and backpacking is the invention of the TV and the later increase of channels thru cable and dish and the DVD market. It created a whole generation of couch potatoes addicted to the flat screen thereby leaving more of the outdoors to me. Add the computer to the mix and we've pulled an even larger portion of once-active backpackers into the Rabbit's Hole.

I owe my backpacking career and my years of stealth camping and solitary recent trips to the TV and computer. And what of the Wheeled Tourists, that misguided bunch who won't explore a place unless rolling? They are the final insult, the last flagrant example of the couch potato at his highest evolutionarly level. 'Let's see the wilderness forest but don't make us get out and walk."

Sitting on constantly warmed and squashed buns, breathing heavily just to shift gears and when applying the brakes, this group, with total disregard for their own safety, showing a courageous recklessness by leaving their TVs and computers, actually manage to walk to their cars and plop down on another couch, this time moving, but thereby never disturbing MY wilderness experience and solitude.

If it wasn't for these various iron lungs called "couches", 300 million Americans would be, out of sheer boredom verging on suicidal, invading my natural sanctuary and peaceful solitude. If anything, this movie will only make people cut more roads and pave more fields to reach the AT so as to attain that "wilderness experience", i.e. a few nights out in or next to a shelter.

That's pretty damned funny in a horrifying sorta way.

Quote Originally Posted by rcli4 View Post
    I think Warren Doyle would make a fine Bryson and Jack would be a good Katz. Now I would pay to see that.

Clyde
    ha! Now that was funny!
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    ha! Now that was funny!
    It'd be the shortest horror movie in film history.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++