WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    =====================================

They've asked me to play Newman's role but I'd have to shave my beard. I told them I'd rather be an "extra"

'Slogger
    Ha ha! Their loss, baby.

Now, WHO will play unfavorably-portrayed Mary Jane (or Mary Ellen? Sue Ellen?) the only significant female in the book (and a snot-sniffer at that?).

As a Master (or rather, Mistress) of the Snot Rocket, I am out of contention, although I can whine and boss and cadge Twinkies with the best of them.
    "The Ordinary Adventurer"
    http://www.FunFreedom.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    I see a huge thread on WB where we all have fun dissecting the film one frame at a time.
    A contendah for 'THE THREAD" status!

In true motion picture economic fashion, they will film most of this on the West Coast or up in Canada and claim it's the East Coast. Significant amounts will be filmed on sound stages. They will come to the AT just to get some "real" flavor into the mix.

I see a huge thread on WB where we all have fun dissecting the film one frame at a time.
    This is probably true. I'll admit I'll be one of those looking at every frame. I'm ashamed to say this but I kinda can't wait for the movie to come out.

I like the people I meet hiking on the AT for the most part. Not all of them mind you. I hike on it to meet fellow hikers. More does not always mean bad.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

They'll probably film it on the Pacific Crest Trail and have a grizzly bear in it, while claiming it's on the East Coast.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    Ha ha! Their loss, baby.

Now, WHO will play unfavorably-portrayed Mary Jane (or Mary Ellen? Sue Ellen?) the only significant female in the book (and a snot-sniffer at that?).

As a Master (or rather, Mistress) of the Snot Rocket, I am out of contention, although I can whine and boss and cadge Twinkies with the best of them.
    I predict a lawsuit for defamation by Mary Ellen. She'll say that although they changed her name, anyone who knows her knows she does that ear-clearing thing and knows it's her. (Truth is a defense to defamation, however).

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan LiteShoe View Post
    A contendah for 'THE THREAD" status!
    ::: Dino --> +:::

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Miss Janet was telling me last summer that Redford's film company was making visits up and down the trail and had supposedly even made a large donation to one of the ATC centers along the trail. I have a feeling they'll film it in the east, Redford has always appeared as a friend of conservation. I still think overall it's gonna be a good thing, or a non thing in regards to the trail. Some of you need to stop hanging black crepe already.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Who will play Katz?

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    Miss Janet was telling me last summer that Redford's film company was making visits up and down the trail and had supposedly even made a large donation to one of the ATC centers along the trail. I have a feeling they'll film it in the east, Redford has always appeared as a friend of conservation. I still think overall it's gonna be a good thing, or a non thing in regards to the trail. Some of you need to stop hanging black crepe already.
    I stopped at Blackburn AT center during my '06 thru, and the caretakers told us about some producer types doing initial research work for the movie, this was within the past week of my arrival (6-22-06).

In true motion picture economic fashion, they will film most of this on the West Coast or up in Canada and claim it's the East Coast. Significant amounts will be filmed on sound stages. They will come to the AT just to get some "real" flavor into the mix.

My bet is they film the outside shots in Romania just like they did with Cold Mountain. Much cheaper to film there. And as you say everything else will be filmed in L.A. Maybe a few exterior shots at Amacolola to show the start of the hike.

Images

After I came thru Max Patch last summer I run into some trail maintainers who said they had just finished repainting and mowing the trail for the movie. I thought It was already Filmed, maybe they where just scouting locations.

Images

I forgot to say that I never heard of the AT until I read about it in a book. 2 months later I gave up my apartment and boxed up my stuff and hit the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry7 View Post
    I forgot to say that I never heard of the AT until I read about it in a book. 2 months later I gave up my apartment and boxed up my stuff and hit the trail.

Words are powerful things.
    They can ignite all sorts of dry tinder.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Wiki:

Since the film's release, more than thirty people have drowned attempting to recreate the canoe trip along the section of the river where the film was shot.

Thirty.

Back to the topic at hand
    Are we suuuuure they drowned?
    Muwahahahahahaha.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by thestin View Post
    Who will play Katz?
    Noooorm! From Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
    I still think overall it's gonna be a good thing, or a non thing in regards to the trail. Some of you need to stop hanging black crepe already.
    I think you're underestimating your typical American.

The average American watches an average of 2.5 to 3 hours of television daily. We are very much so a tv/movie orientated culture. People see things on TV and Movies and they are enamored with what they see. How many hours do you think people spend w/ a book? It's a different league.

The importance of the book has not faded but it pales in comparison to the impact a feature film has. Whatever impact the book had in terms of numbers, the movie will have 100x the impact.

My advice would be is if you were planning a thru hike the year this movie comes out, you may want to consider going SOBO because Georgia is going to be an absolute zoo.

robert redford.. yum ! count me in girl friends..

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Blake,

I don't underestimate the average American I know him quite well, I teach his children and I can tell you right now that most Americans will have absolutely zero desire to go out and spend days in the forest. That being said I realize that the trail will most likely see a bump in those that start, but America has also become very much a vicarious country, and they enjoy watching rather than doing. You forget you are a doer, most in America, are content to stay home and watch about it, or get out and walk a mile when they cross the trail.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake View Post
    Georgia is going to be an absolute zoo.
    it's already a friggin zoo. has been for years. a movie ain't gonna change it.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++