WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sissygirl View Post
    With some of the unfortunate news from the trail, can't we just be happy they were found and stop with the negativity.
    Great point!

I think if it was someone you knew and you were home waiting for them (hopefully looking at a note stating where they had gone and what time they'd return, of course), it might be different.

What if the story had played out just a little differently? From the article (there was one in the local paper as well), it doesn't say what time the hikers called 911 to say "we're lost." What if it was just a little different...what if someone from home instead had called the authorities at 10 pm and had said, "Our friends went out on the AT and should have been home 3 hours ago?" Then, when they were found safe at a camp, would they still be morons or just lucky?

Is it because they called for help that they are morons? If they were found dead of hypothermia, would we be saying "Those morons had a phone, they should have called for help!" ??????????

By the way, I agree with the practice of charging for rescues, especially based on a bonehead scale.

Landshark
    "Dreamt last night I was climbing mountains
    Way beyond love’s fierce hold..."

AP Police say 19-year-old Seth Hubbard and Jesus were found around 5 am Thursday
    Jesus saves!

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Jesus saves!
    Causing trouble already??

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Causing trouble already??
    Nope, just putting a positive spin on the story
    Just because you may be hiking with Jesus doesn't mean you shouldn't have a map and compass and the ability to navigate with them.
    No need to worry about fire or fording though, Jesus can make bushes combust and walk on water

Nope, just putting a positive spin on the story
    Just because you may be hiking with Jesus doesn't mean you shouldn't have a map and compass and the ability to navigate with them.
    No need to worry about fire or fording though, Jesus can make bushes combust and walk on water
    Far be it from me to pretend to be a biblical scholar, but I believe the burnin bush parable is from the Old Testament (see Torah).

Glad their both ok ....but my question is how the f*** do you get lost on the AT it's pretty well marked?
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Far be it from me to pretend to be a biblical scholar, but I believe the burnin bush parable is from the Old Testament (see Torah).
    You should have been told by now not to believe everything you read.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Wolf View Post
    Glad their both ok ....but my question is how the f*** do you get lost on the AT it's pretty well marked?
    Hard telling what these guys did to get off trail but a snow covered landscape can make staying on the trail difficult, especially at dusk and into darkness.
    Last edited by woodsy; 01-26-2008 at 20:40.

You should have been told by now not to believe everything you read.

Hard telling what these guys did to get off trail but a snow covered landscape can make staying on the trail difficult, especially at dusk and into darkness.

That and most folks are aware that people getting lost on the trail isn't the newest of news. Especially in the conditions you indicated Woodsy.

Wilconow-"I don't remember these place names. Is this like between the Gov'r Clement Shelter and the ascent to Killington?"
    Gov. Clement Shelter is about 4 miles S of Killington. Little Killington is about 1 mile south of Killington and about 0.4 west of the A.T.. Mendon Peak is about 1.5 miles SW of Killington and NW of Little Killington.

As to what they were doing there is anyone's guess but Mendon Peak is on the list of NE 100 highest peaks and there are people who try to climb all 100 of these peaks in the calender winter season-that is one possibility. I have been to Mendon Peak a couple of times from the Killington side (east) and from what I recall of the winter trip, it is fairly thick spruce in areas and no real features that stand out. They probably weren't too far west of some of the backcountry ski trails.

donating member; velo vermont!

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Wolf View Post
    whiteblazes?
    winter?
    vermont?

just a few ways, aside from wandering off trail for whatever reason.

Whiteblazes?
    Winter?
    Maine
    A couple photos might help explain
    In the hardwoods:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21771

In the conifers:
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=19979

Just a couple instances of why it can be difficult to stay on wintry trails,
    there are many more, like when there is 3-4 feet of snow and your head is in the conifer branches, the trail suddenly becomes very narrow and elusive.
    Above treeline can be tricky in places too, with surface blazes covered in snow and no cairns to follow.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

winter 's different
    here's a shot inbetween lafayette and garfield on the A.T.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...imageuser=4327

here's the long trail in vermont

another trail shot

Hehe, nice photos dave!
    Says it all, er, mostly all, throw in a whiteout and..............

Images

Were the conditions that extreme where these two got misplaced?

Went headfirst down an evergreen well on snowshoes as a rugrat. The shoes went accross the top. I can still hear the laughter. Have not been on snowshoes since. Thanks Dave. I almost bought some this year...

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

Default whiteout

if i had and knew how to use a scanner i could show you photos of a whiteout where you quite literally can't distinguish between the ground and the sky. pure milk white

there's plenty of snow in the higher elevations here in vt.
    if we had a dusting or flurry its easy for the trees to bet plastered on the windward side and all blazes disappear.

also, it these 2 were locals, its easy to leave home without your kit and just go for a hike. heading off in the wrong direction, light fading, a missed turn - any of it could lead to 'getting lost'.

don't know the situation on the weather - but they were found. thats good.
    people can armchair QB this all they want - 2 people are alive - doesn't matter how they got into the situation - if it was a boneheaded mistake - thats for the state to charge them for it - if it was a collision of things - glad to see they made it out.

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    if i had and knew how to use a scanner i could show you photos of a whiteout where you quite literally can't distinguish between the ground and the sky. pure milk white
    went out to my favorite little 'bump' when i first moved to s.vt. just as a snowstorm was winding down. got 200' from the car in the trailhead lot and realized i'd be screwed if i continued - blowing and drifting snow, no tracks on the trail (first one!), and i couldn't see any blazes. most of my tracks were starting to disappear from the wind. not complete whiteout - but there were times i could only see 10' in front of me. disorienting for sure.

made it back to the car - came back 2 hours later when the sky cleared and the sun came out and had a beautiful hike.

still had first tracks - but i could make out the topography (still no blazes!) and had a great hike - met several people on the way down who followed my path and hoped i was heading the same place they wanted to go...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++