WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: C&O Trail?

Images

Y'all need to check out biking the Blue ridge parkway...I did it this past spring - took 9 days, and was fantastic. Very little traffic (maybe due to high gas prices?), and great scenery.

Just returned from cycling the entirety of the C&O Canal - finally realizing a dream I've had for 35 years. Our 4 nights on the trail were split - 2 in a motel, 2 camping.

Recap: Day 1, cycled 35 miles to a campsite (Stickpile Hill) under overcast skies with occasional brief bursts of sun - saw numerous deer. My rear tire decided to have a flat just beyond the end of the Paw Paw Tunnel.

Day 2 - 25 miles to Hancock. My bike sustained 2 (later to be determined 5) broken spokes resulting in a wobbly wheel rubbing against the frame. This looked like the end of the trip but fortunately, an excellent bicycle shop in Hancock was open and set me up with a new wheel. Stayed in a motel.

Day 3 - 52 miles to Shepherdstown. A long day including the 6-mile detour off the towpath culinated in luxury; we stayed in the Bavarian Inn and ate a shamelessly rich German dinner. Skies brightened up but temperature dropped.

Day 4 - 42 miles to Chisel Branch campsite where we spent a night in the tent considerably colder than our first night. At least we enjoyed a spectacular sunset over the Potomac and the full moon. Also heard the air traffic coming into Dulles across the river. Wildlife sightings included 2 muskrats and several great blue herons.

Day 5 - 30 miles to Georgetown - Awoke to thick fog resulting in soaking wet tent and a very cold start until the sun finally broke through and warmed us up around Great Falls which were splendid. Pulled in to Georgetown around 2, celebrated with some Haagen Das, and then cycled along the Potomac past the Kennedy Center, across the Memorial Bridge, and down the Mt. Vernon Trail to Alexandria where our hotel and car awaited.

We splashed through mud a lot even though we missed the rain. On the whole though, the trail was in fine condition. Any WBers who are also cycling fans shoud definitely put this trip on their list.

Congratulations on the ride. This is still on my "To Do" list.

With your car in Arlington how did you get to Cumberland? It seems the shuttle services up there are hit or miss sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    Congratulations on the ride. This is still on my "To Do" list.

With your car in Arlington how did you get to Cumberland? It seems the shuttle services up there are hit or miss sometimes.
    The morning before the ride, we checked into the Holiday Inn in Cumberland and left our bikes, panniers, and everything we needed for the trip in the room; we were able to check in early. We then drove to the DC area and left our car at the Travel Lodge in Alexandria. I had called them and they agreed we could park in their lot during the ride (saved us big $$$) since we planned to stay 3 nights with them at the end of the ride to tour DC.

We then took Metro to Union Station and boarded the 4:05 daily AMTRAK train to Cumberland. The train - Capitol Limited - goes on to Chicago and reservations are required but not hard to get; the train wasn't full. Go to this AMTRAK site and click on "Capitol Limited" for the timetable.

Train arrived in Cumberland about 7:20. Stayed in the Holiday Inn, had breakfast the next morning in their restaurant, and were on the Trail by 9:30.

This plan worked well and we're thinking of a reprise in the Spring. The only warning is you can't always count on a DC-area hotel giving you the free parking like we did so you may have to pay to park in the garage by Union Station. Me, I'd park in one of the suburban shopping malls (probably Montgomery Mall) for free and take the bus & metro to Union Station but I lived many years in the DC area and am familiar with the public transportation options there.

Finally, you could use this approach to also include the Great Allegheny Passage but keep in mind the train doesn't arrive in Pittsburgh until midnight. And I believe hotels near Pittsburgh's station are more expensive plus you have to take a local bus to get to the trailhead in McKeesport.

Very good way to do it. I'll keep that in mind. I've read that another good long term parking option is Reagan Airport. Cheaper than the parking deck and along the Mt. Vernon trial if I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by cavscout View Post
    Very good way to do it. I'll keep that in mind. I've read that another good long term parking option is Reagan Airport. Cheaper than the parking deck and along the Mt. Vernon trial if I recall.
    That's a good idea - chances are the satellite/economy lot at National Airport is cheaper than a commercial garage or Union Station. The airport is easily accessible via the Mt. Vernon bike trail after crossing the Potomac at the Arlington Bridge.

Just keep in mind that if you're planning your trip around a holiday, the National Airport lot may be full as happened to me one time.

Images

did you side a touring bike or mountain bike?

Quote Originally Posted by humunuku View Post
    did you ride a touring bike or mountain bike?
    A hybrid - Mongoose Crossway. It's 11 years old and I've replaced the front frame from an accident last year and the rear wheel from this trip.

There are some roots and rocks in a few places but not much for the entirety of the 184 miles. The worst part on this trip was ruts in the mud following rain; they were bad even 2 sunny days after the rain. Our bodies and bikes were mud-splattered. Also thick freshly-fallen dry leaves slowed us in a few places. With those factors, you couldn't use a road bike but a hybrid worked fine. There's no need for a mountain bike but it would be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Finally, you could use this approach to also include the Great Allegheny Passage but keep in mind the train doesn't arrive in Pittsburgh until midnight. And I believe hotels near Pittsburgh's station are more expensive plus you have to take a local bus to get to the trailhead in McKeesport.
    We've had good luck once each time with a relatively new Hampton Inn in the Strip District in Pittsburgh, with free parking, only a couple blocks from the Amtrak station; and with a B&B in Connellsville - it was only 3 blocks from the Amtrak but its owners were pretty surprised when we said we'd walk it. Connellsville's at the western foot of the mountains, not at the extreme west end of the G.A.P. - it's seen better days but not so acutely so as McKeesport.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    We've had good luck once each time with a relatively new Hampton Inn in the Strip District in Pittsburgh, with free parking, only a couple blocks from the Amtrak station; and with a B&B in Connellsville - it was only 3 blocks from the Amtrak but its owners were pretty surprised when we said we'd walk it. Connellsville's at the western foot of the mountains, not at the extreme west end of the G.A.P. - it's seen better days but not so acutely so as McKeesport.
    That's a good tip about the Hampton in P'burgh - I'll keep it in mind. My one ill-fated planned ride for the Great Allegheny Passage ended with a bike crackup before I even got to the trailhead in McKeesport. I think I damaged the front brakes when I loaded the bike onto the bus rack.

Cookerhiker: Are there any section of the C&O that are closed besides the section between Slackwater and McMahons Mill?

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    Cookerhiker: Are there any section of the C&O that are closed besides the section between Slackwater and McMahons Mill?
    There was a very brief detour requiring us to walk our bikes around a construction site along the stretch inside the Beltway. It was only about 100' - next to nothing.

The good news about the Slackwater/McMahon's Mill detour is that the Park Service finally has the funds to construct the towpath there. It may be ready by the end of 2010.

Images

Great trip report.

How sore did you get sitting for all those miles?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Great trip report.

How sore did you get sitting for all those miles?
    The last 10 or so miles each day were tough on the butt, especially since I hadn't trained for the ride at all. But it wasn't that bad - the Canal is flat and oftimes, I'd stand and stretch for a second or 2 while cruising.

It was harder for my GF because she ended up wearing non-padded pants because her bike pants, while padded, were too tight just above t e knee and cut off circulation. Her pants were inexpensive unisex. Subsequently, she's gotten a more expensive pair of shorts with padding designed for women so our next ride should be easier on her.

Hammock and Bicycle camping Crash's Avatar

Default Great Allegheny Passage & C& O Canal

I want to do the bike ride from Harpers Ferry area to Pittsburgh area & back. While checking out the Great Allegheny Passage website it doesn't appear to be like the C &O Canal when it comes to camping.

Does the Great Allegheny Passage allow camping? I don't want to stay or pay at commercial campgrounds.
    When the Trail calls you,
    its not on your cellphone!

Check the trip reports here for GAP camping tips. There are a lot of good ones there.

http://www.fred.net/kathy/canal/cobi....html#accounts

Mrs Gorp
    Images

Default Primitive Campsites along the GAP

Crash,
    In October I pedaled the GAP and yes you are correct there are fewer primitive camping opportunities unlike the C&O. There are four primitive sites between GAP mp100 and mp122 and one at mp62.

Here's a great site to help with your planning.

http://shaw-weil.com/linkup/campsites.htm

MrsGorp

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

I liked that ride so much I have done it end to end several times. In the heat of summer you are in the shade and the swims are spectacular. The park rangers even pull the tree blow downs in to camp areas so plenty of free firewood. Around Georgetown on Southern end did encounter homeless people so do that end quickly. Did it once with my wife and stayed in motels along way. That is one of the best rides there is.
    Tom

Default AMTRAK logistics

AMTRAK will finally allow bikes to be rolled on their Capitol Limited line. Previously, you had to check them in which ruled out stopping at stations w/o checked baggage e.g. Harpers Ferry & Cumberland. For details, see Post No. 4 of this thread which covers the Great Allegheny Passage.

Looks like a comment period is open on the rail trail parallel and above the C&O from Little Orleans to Paw Paw: http://www.westernmarylandrailtrailsupporters.org/

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++