WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast

This year I'm thinking of passing Erwin, Tn. (too close to Hot Springs) and try out Mountain Harbour Bed & Breakfast, located 0.3m west on US19E (~385.5 miles N. of Springer). I'm pretty sure this is the same place I heard a lot of good things about last year.

Anyone use this place?

Images

I used it to leave a car and take a shower. He charged $5 per night for the car and $3 per shower. Worked out fine.

Friends and I will be staying there this March 21. When will you be there, John?

Quote Originally Posted by maxNcathy View Post
    Friends and I will be staying there this March 21. When will you be there, John?
    Are you starting from Springer, if so when you leaving? I'll be leaving sometime in March, from Amicalola, so I don't expect to be there until sometime in April.

I stayed there for one night on a thru hike attempt in 07 and had a veary unpleasent exsperiance the owner was veary rude and abrasive to a few of the younger hikers i felt veary unwelcome at that place and on my next pass through town i think ill just keep walking

Quote Originally Posted by wilconow View Post
    I used it to leave a car and take a shower. He charged $5 per night for the car and $3 per shower. Worked out fine.
    $5 per day for a car is a ripoff

Images

This is a good place to stay, but not huge. It was lonely for me as a sobo, but if nobos know what's good, you may have trouble getting a bed.
    Why not stay in Erwin and Mt Harbour?
    Rambler

Images

I liked it... interesting place, reasonable prices... convenient...

I stayed there on my 2006 thru-hike and I absolutely LOVED the place! It was probably my favorite hostel on the whole trail. The owners were amazing and very hospitable, and the breakfast was out of this world! I loved the hostel above the barn - and when I left my favorite shirt there, they mailed it to me and wouldn't take any money for shipping. Overall I just thought they went far beyond the call of duty as hostel/bed and breakfast owners. I'd highly recommend the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow_Brite View Post
    I stayed there on my 2006 thru-hike and I absolutely LOVED the place! It was probably my favorite hostel on the whole trail. The owners were amazing and very hospitable, and the breakfast was out of this world! I loved the hostel above the barn - and when I left my favorite shirt there, they mailed it to me and wouldn't take any money for shipping. Overall I just thought they went far beyond the call of duty as hostel/bed and breakfast owners. I'd highly recommend the place!
    Yes, very hospitable people and a great place to stay.

Images

I stayed there as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. Great hostel. Best shower on the trail. Would stay there again in a heart beat. Mary's breakfasts are amazing!! five bucks a day for a car is a bit much, but there's not much parking. They'll do your laundry for a couple of bucks too. I recommend it.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

We live about 12 miles from this hostel and have extra beds and a AYCE dining hall when school (Lees-McRae College) is in session. If we are around, we can pick up and drop off folks at the Rt. 19E trailhead.
    No smokers, alcohol, illegal substances, pets and blue-blazers.
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Default How far

How far is Mountain Harbour from the Kinkora in miles wise?
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Journal Entries
    Images

It is from 19E to Dennis Cove Rd, about 24 miles.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

Thanks Squid
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

Thread-drift warning!
    Between Erwin and Kincora there is also the Greasy Creek Friendly hostel. That got me wondering - what is the farthest distance between hostels? The Smokies?

Here is my next question fron greasy creek friendly hostel to Damascus whats the mileage I'm wondering if it can be done in 7 days I average about 7 to 10 a day

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Mountainer Harbour is real nice. Its $5 for straight up parking. Then they give some small discounts if you park and shuttle, or stay in the hostel. Just give them 24-48 hours notice of shuttle reservations. Shuttles vary due to location. I believe bitter end was $8, Carvers was $20, Buck Mtn Road/Campbell Hollow was $5, and Elk River was $10.

Usually when the main wave of thruhikers come through, Mountain Harbour gets packed fast. So get there early in the day when the crowd hits. High Point, Apple House Shelter and Doll Flats are the nearest campsites.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

no internet, no cable. it was wonderful. had the place to myself a few weeks ago. great hosts. I hike. I don't drive,but $5 a day doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it does to you, try parking by the trailhead and hope your car doesn't get broken into. 19 is infamous for that.

Quote Originally Posted by warren doyle View Post
    No smokers, alcohol, illegal substances, pets and blue-blazers.
    OK, you and the 3 puritans can party down

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    no internet, no cable. it was wonderful. had the place to myself a few weeks ago. great hosts. I hike. I don't drive,but $5 a day doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If it does to you, try parking by the trailhead and hope your car doesn't get broken into. 19 is infamous for that.
    From my limited experience, random location = unexpected cool
    ???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++