WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

This will be a great challenge. I suspect doable, but it will be tough. I would recommend you plan your hike so you complete the tougher DR/BMT section in daylight. The AT section will be easier to follow in dark. Good Luck. If you need any support, let me know.

Images

Default Yes he did

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i know all the speed hikers and none of them ever said they regretted it
    I'd have to try to search out the article but the press was there waiting when he was done, falling down with fractured leg and foot bones, crying, and saying he wished he hadn't done it. It was several years ago. I mentioned it in March 2007 to someone who was on the support team for another speed hiker and he also remembered that article. So no, I did not make it up, and no doubt some macho factor is now keeping that person from admitting it.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Working on Forestry Grad schol

a 55 mile day on that section shouldn't be that tough for a well-conditioned hiker who isn't carrying any gear, especially since you'll be going home to rest after you finish. Just take a small daypack and food that you can eat as you go, and something to replace electrolytes with.

Anyone hiked this loop in '07 (condition, water)?

Images

I don't personally understand the allure of piling on these miles, but I can understand the physical challanege part of it. I'm more of a stroller than a runner but to each their own. I certainly respect someone that can do that sort of thing.

Good luck and be safe.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop rat View Post
    I hiked the BMT section in mid-November and the streams had water in them, but the high country springs were dry. However, there has been quite a bit of rain, I understand, since that time. So the springs may be flowing now.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Quote Originally Posted by soulrebel View Post
    what is up with all the methed out hikers lately? Does anyone just sit in the woods and do nothing anymore?

Don't get me wrong I like to go fast, but it's called running or "I want a cheeseburger/beer TODAY"
    the doctor does plenty of sitting in the woods and being fat. this hike he is mentioning is purely a self challenge, not to prove anything, but a new experiement with the outdoors.

55-mile hikes in under 24 hours on the AT are doable. I've done at least a dozen of them (CT (i.e. Superhikes), MA (i.e. Spring Strolls), PA, VA (i.e. Damascus by Dawns!) , TN (i.e, Damascus by Dawns!).
    Warren Doyle PhD
    34,000-miler (and counting)
    [email protected]
    www.warrendoyle.com

Images

:ins medal on Warren Doyle's chest, shakes hand and says "job well done"::
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Images

I think it can be done. There is the "Smoky Mountain Challenge" which is making the 70+ miles of AT in the Smokies in one day. The BMT in GA has water.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I think it can be done. There is the "Smoky Mountain Challenge" which is making the 70+ miles of AT in the Smokies in one day. The BMT in GA has water.
    Just an average day for the Wiiiiiiild Kaowboyeeee.

Images

I do not see anyone finishing the whole loop in 24 hrs, 3 days is more likely.

Good luck with that.

Egads
    Last edited by Egads; 01-23-2008 at 18:55.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

Imcatl has it right. electrolytes and lite pack. its a great endurance trek and it can definitely be done IF you're in that kind of shape. i would go early spring because you are gonna heat up at that pace. i also have to agree with soulrebel why run when nature is crawling around you in order to enjoy her? be safe above all and listen to your body!!
    There are two wolves that battle in every mans' heart, love and hate, the winner is the one fed the most.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop rat View Post
    DWM tried it back in March and has done it more than once. In fact his trail description was one of the best I've seen.

I seem to recall that water wasn't a problem but blowdowns were plentiful.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

Images

The maintainers have been out on the DRT clearing the blowdowns. Blood Mtn to Mulkey is clear. Fish Gap to Mulkey has a few easily passable blowdowns.

We (Phreak & I) did not pass any water on the DRT section between Skeenah Creek and Blood. You need to go off trail or cache some at FS-39.

Good Luck

Egads
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

This could be done by a very fit hiker with minimal protein bars/water carry (and maybe some support to hand off food/water here and there). As to the prudence of this effort, the timeless story of the old bull and the young bull proves instructive:

An old bull and a young bull were standing a'top a hill looking down on a herd of cows in the valley below. After a bit, the young bull suggests; lets run down the hill and "make love" to that spotted holstein. After only a short time to ponder the situation, the old bull replies; lets walk and "make love" to them all.

At my age I have to take the old bull approach to hiking and life in general lol.

"Must be getting early, Clocks are Running Late" The Doctor's Avatar

yeah, but i bet with his mentality the young bull finished and has his victory cigarette before the old bull was halfway done
    "When the going gets tough, the tough take a hike"

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    yeah, but i bet with his mentality the young bull finished and has his victory cigarette before the old bull was halfway done
    I don't think the "victory cigarette" is the most fun part of the exercise, but this comes from a not quite the middle aged bull....

On your hike, you may want to think about places to get out and contacts if you happen to get in trouble. I'm sure you're in great shape, but accidents can happen to anyone. Be prepared so that if the hike turns into something unexpected you won't be hurt by carrying only day hike materials. Other than that, have fun and let us know how it goes.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shades of blue View Post
    On your hike, you may want to think about places to get out and contacts if you happen to get in trouble. I'm sure you're in great shape, but accidents can happen to anyone. Be prepared so that if the hike turns into something unexpected you won't be hurt by carrying only day hike materials. Other than that, have fun and let us know how it goes.
    I have a buddy who is going to be a support person for this hike. He'll meet us at various road crossings, in case of an emergency or injury requires one of us to exit the trail early.

Registered User Kaptain Kangaroo's Avatar
    Images

Default Go for it !!

Yeah...do it...it will be fun. There is a 63 mile hike down here in Sydney that I do in 24 hours. I don't run at all & you don't even need to hike all that fast, just keep trudging. It's a real buzz to see the sun rise after hiking through the night.
    I find that if I keep a reasonable pace I don't go through huge amounts of water or need enormous amounts of food.
    I think pacing yourself correctly (especially at the beginning) is a key factor. You only need to average 2.5 miles an hour (assuming 2 hours worth of breaks along the way)

Also, look out for your feet. Treat any hot spots as soon as you notice them. Doing the last 20 miles on blisters will not be fun :-)

I think it's good to challenge yourself..........best of luck !!

Cheers,

Kaptain

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++