WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    Images

So it is not impossible just demanding...wouldn't you agree???
    no...............!

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by wildcowboy238 View Post
    ok here it is... Walking 72.5 miles a dayat present I walk a 12 minute mile and that is flatland as well as up hill with my pack... 8 miles in1 hr and 43 minutes....no running in volved just walking... So it is not impossible just demanding...wouldn't you agree???
    What is the mix of flat land versus uphill? Is the uphill on a road, an improved trail, or a rough trail with roots and rocks? Is that with fair weather, or in the rain? (I know Tucson gets a lot of rain).

I have been on some trails around Tucson-- they don't compare with the AT for roughness.

Good luck anyway. Don't hurt yourself.

Ummm..that's 15.75 hours of hiking non stop every day if my math is correct. Good luck. I hope you make it. Now back to work.

Images

I'd like to say good luck - but can't force myself. If your intent was solely to start another long thread, I'm sure you have succeeded. Don't waste the space with foolishness. Just because the math says it can be done, does not make it possible. You can not be successful, therefore I can not say good luck.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    ......that never happened. this thread is an obvious joke. can't believe i'm getting sucked in. entertainment i guess

I agree, it seems like a joke is being played. Or a person that is not in touch with reality, either way, a joke.

So you're in training right Wildcowboy? (check) And you've publicly declared your intent through the media? (check) There's possibly an ultramarathon between now and then that you could do that would help to prove to folks that you've got what it takes. Or maybe a shorter trail nearby that you could bust out a record for and still get some training in. You've got to train anyway.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Geezer

For your information I walk a 12 minute mile
    You are a fool. You have no concept of what you are talking about.

Walk 72.5 miles tomorrow. Make sure your route includes 14,800 feet of elevation gain. Get up the next day and do it again. Do it a third time. That is only 10% of your task.

If you do the math, you will see that walking 12 minutes a mile will require walking almost 15 hours a day, not counting bathroom stops, lunch, rest stops, etc. You simply do not have enough time in 30 days to walk 2170 miles and do the necessary things you need to do. Like eat and sleep. Little things like that.

People talk about what the body can and cannot do really don't know what they are capable of doing until they try.
    Flap your arms and fly. Bite off a piece of your car's bumper. Lift a dump truck and toss it a couple hundred yards. Hold your breath for an hour. Stop being so silly.

Do it or don't. But kindly stop this nonsense.
    Frosty

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    You are a fool. You have no concept of what you are talking about.

Walk 72.5 miles tomorrow. Make sure your route includes 14,800 feet of elevation gain. Get up the next day and do it again. Do it a third time. That is only 10% of your task.

If you do the math, you will see that walking 12 minutes a mile will require walking almost 15 hours a day, not counting bathroom stops, lunch, rest stops, etc. You simply do not have enough time in 30 days to walk 2170 miles and do the necessary things you need to do. Like eat and sleep. Little things like that.

Flap your arms and fly. Bite off a piece of your car's bumper. Lift a dump truck and toss it a couple hundred yards. Hold your breath for an hour. Stop being so silly.

Do it or don't. But kindly stop this nonsense.
    Army Special Forces ODA (A-team) standards stipulated that every man on an A-team be able to carry a 45# ALICE pack, plus a fighting load (web gear) and an M16 and hold a 14min mile pace for 12mi. Most guys could do this, but there were few teams where everyman could hold that pace. Some studs could hold a 13min pace, a very few could hold a 12min pace, to do so requires an abnormally long stride that few under 6'1" or so can manage, most HAVE to run to achieve this pace. Remember we are not talking trails here but a road walk.

In short Cowboy, I think you are FOS, and you are also to stupid to do simple arithmetic.

Images

Good luck Cowboy. I'll be starting about a week before you, so you should be passing me on May 1st or 2nd. How will I know who you are as you pass by so I can wish you good luck?

I am so glad that there seems to be alot of people who are just out to put people down because they don't have the courage to attempt their dreams.... As for you that are in this catagory I feel sorry for you.... As for this being foolish, well it may be atleast I am attempting something that matters to me while you are just reading to get a laughy or thinking this is just a joke.... How can you sit there and call yourselves caring people when someone comes along and decideds to do something like this and you just blast away at them because you have no lives...

For thoes of you who wish me Luck , I do thank you very much and do hope to see you on the trail......

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

you tell young children that anything is possible....most grow up to realize there limitations and that some things jsut can not happen

its ok to be a kid.....its ok to grow up as well

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Above all else, try to have an enjoyable journey.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try." - Master Yoda
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I am so glad that there seems to be alot of people who are just out to put people down because they don't have the courage to attempt their dreams.... As for you that are in this catagory I feel sorry for you.... As for this being foolish, well it may be atleast I am attempting something that matters to me while you are just reading to get a laughy or thinking this is just a joke.... How can you sit there and call yourselves caring people when someone comes along and decideds to do something like this and you just blast away at them because you have no lives...

For thoes of you who wish me Luck , I do thank you very much and do hope to see you on the trail......
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=30515 this was your dream. stick to it. this new foolishness is a joke. you mom would agree

Quote Originally Posted by Freeleo View Post
    you tell young children that anything is possible....most grow up to realize there limitations and that some things jsut can not happen

its ok to be a kid.....its ok to grow up as well

How do you know that it can't be done????... I was raised to believe that anything is possible and yes I know there are limitations to just about everything and I respect that, but there is one thing everyone that is doubting me is forgetting and that is they are not me and have no clue about what it takes to make your dreams come true...

So what I guess I am saying is, when you have walked a mile in my shoes and been me then you will know that make it in 30 or not I am still out there having a good time...

Working on Forestry Grad schol

"
    The horrendous ordeal of 11 American ...seamen, shipwrecked on the Atlantic coast of North Africa and then sold into slavery, grippingly chronicled by adventure writer King (Harbors and High Seas, 1996, etc.).The War of 1812 had just ... more » ended, and Captain James Riley was hungry to get back to work on the brig Commerce, sailing out of Connecticut to buy cheap and sell dear in the wake of the British wartime blockade. But strange weather and bad luck sent Riley's ship onto the rocks of Atlantic Africa, then more bad luck put him and ten shipmates in the hands of nomads who took them into slavery. What happened over the next two months was so extraordinary that the narrative flies under its own steam, though King ably guides its progression and the reader's absorption, using two firsthand accounts published after the event as his source material. The degree of privation the men suffered was so absurd it's a wonder the nomads kept them at all, for their work value as slaves was scant. Yet there they are: sun-blasted, sand-blasted, wind-blasted, thighs chafed to bleeding ribbons from riding camels, feet shredded to the bone by sharp rocks, so thirsty that drinking urine was a comfort, so hungry they ate pieces of infected flesh that had been cut off the camels and the skin peeling off their own bodies. The men were split up, briefly reunited, then rudely separated; King plays these episodes like stringed instruments upon the reader's taut occupation with the proceedings. A lifetime of misery was packed into two months, after which six of the seamen, led by the worthy Riley, managed to convince a trader to buy them for the bounty he will receive from the European consul in Morocco.A jaw-dropping story kept on edge, along with the reader: exquisite and excruciating screw-turning. (b&w maps and illustrations"

It takes a lot to kill you, but why anyone would want to create such an ordeal for themselves by trying to cover 2200 miles in 30 days is beyond me.

This is a bulletin Board, they happen to be made for people to post ideas and for others to comment and post what they think about your ideas.

Don’t get testy when you go to a BBS and others post a response to your ideas and use it for what it was intended for.

I’m still not convinced this isn’t BS.

Attachment 3125

I hope this worked...lol.... This is me and My Family....

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    This is a bulletin Board, they happen to be made for people to post ideas and for others to comment and post what they think about your ideas.

Don’t get testy when you go to a BBS and others post a response to your ideas and use it for what it was intended for.

I’m still not convinced this isn’t BS.

Well Bob not really worried if you think it is BS or not.... not getting testy but there is a point where when you stoop so low that they just want to attack someone for wanting to try to accomplish something...wouldn't you agree that some of the posts or replies are just childish????

I'm the man on the mountain, come on up.....
    Images

i really hope so and dont get me wrong i wuold love to hear that you completed it in the time alotted...i jsut think you will be thinking it is stupid in less than a week if you are not already injured

if you are not having fun you shouldnt be out there...i hope you think pain is fun cause you are going to feel lots of it......

thanks for the pic

GO FOR IT MAN

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++