WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

What is the rule for rain pants? Alway bring them in winter and optional for summer?

No rules, you decide.

I almost always carry either homemade silnylon rainpants (3.5 oz) or a rainkilt (2.5 oz), even in the summer. They're rarely used, but drifting into hypothermia is a bad way to spend the day.

Images

Last August I was hiking over Whitecap in ME, South side was downpour rain, on the summit it was sleeting and on the North side it was Sunny.

Always carry rain gear.
    WalkingStick"75"

I always carry rain gear and something for warmth, since I have gotten hypothermic in mid-summer after walking in an all day drizzle. I don't trust weather forecasts, especially in the east, plus mountains can make their own weather.

i always take rain pants but i have left the jacket out of a few summer time trips

Working on Forestry Grad schol

If there is very little/no chance of windy weather below the mid/low 50's then I take a windbreaker instead of a rainjacket. You can use a windbreaker+poncho tarp and get down to the mid/upper 40's if it isn't that exposed. I always carry a fleece windstop hat--it's pretty warm even when it gets damp, and it never really gets sopping wet.

I had one very cold experience in the mid/lower 30's with cold, windy, exposed rain and just a poncho-tarp. Not recommended, but I didn't really expect those temperatures in Washington in August. Oh well, it takes a lot to kill you.

The most hypothermic I've ever gotten? When I had the flu and tried to go to class instead of staying in my warm bed at home, although that experience in Washington was probably close.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++