WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Peanut Butter

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    There are no guarantees in this life
    Eat too much PB and you will get fat.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

ok then..there is one guarantee

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    Dude, you're not the only person who'll read these posts. If one person wakes up and realizes they are destroying their health and takes corrective measures my rants are justified. The things I'm saying aren't knew and they are biomedical facts. A lot of the old time body builders, Jack Lallane being the father of them all (he's 93 and studly) are old men now, but they don't look old, and they are still fit, they learned early in life that nutrition was the linchpin of health. You think I'm a nut? Fine, I'll see you in the ER.
    Your original post said that "Most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat, and, as such, is a really effective way to clog your arteries, give you a heart attack, set you up for peripheral neuropathy, etc, etc."

When I showed you that was not true (Skippy and Jif both have 0 grams of Trans Fat per serving), you just went into attack the messenger mode. If your facts are bogus, don't expect to be taken very seriously. And attacking doesn't help.

P.S. All three of my cholesterol numbers are in great shape, as is my blood sugar (long-term via the A1C test) and my triglycerides. My Stress Test of last year gave me a 99+ percent chance of avoiding a stroke or heart attack for the next 5 years. What ER are you expecting to see me in? Maybe the Trauma Center when I break something hiking?

You might or might not be a nut. But you're at least a little shrill and abrasive, and that gets you nowhere in an argument amongst semi-civilized people. Here, maybe. I don't know.
    Just hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    Your original post said that "Most peanut butter on the supermarket shelves is mostly hydrogenated fat, and, as such, is a really effective way to clog your arteries, give you a heart attack, set you up for peripheral neuropathy, etc, etc."

When I showed you that was not true (Skippy and Jif both have 0 grams of Trans Fat per serving), you just went into attack the messenger mode. If your facts are bogus, don't expect to be taken very seriously. And attacking doesn't help.

P.S. All three of my cholesterol numbers are in great shape, as is my blood sugar (long-term via the A1C test) and my triglycerides. My Stress Test of last year gave me a 99+ percent chance of avoiding a stroke or heart attack for the next 5 years. What ER are you expecting to see me in? Maybe the Trauma Center when I break something hiking?

You might or might not be a nut. But you're at least a little shrill and abrasive, and that gets you nowhere in an argument amongst semi-civilized people. Here, maybe. I don't know.
    "ATTACKED"? Nightwalker you don't know what an attack looks like I presume. I am overjoyed you'll live to be 150 my friend. If both Skippy and Jif are now "transfat-free", that is a recent turn of events I assure you sir. And why, praytell, do you think that is, because they are truly concerned about Nightwalkers' lab results? No, if in fact that is the case, it occured because some fat butterbutt lawyer (those lawyers like french cuisine) told them they were looking at millions in class-action lawsuits if they didn't when the evidence was presented to the company board of directors. Evidently fat, quiche-eatin' lawyers are better informed nutrionally than a lot of WB'ers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by take-a-knee View Post
    "ATTACKED"? Nightwalker you don't know what an attack looks like I presume. I am overjoyed you'll live to be 150 my friend. If both Skippy and Jif are now "transfat-free", that is a recent turn of events I assure you sir. And why, praytell, do you think that is, because they are truly concerned about Nightwalkers' lab results? No, if in fact that is the case, it occured because some fat butterbutt lawyer (those lawyers like french cuisine) told them they were looking at millions in class-action lawsuits if they didn't when the evidence was presented to the company board of directors. Evidently fat, quiche-eatin' lawyers are better informed nutrionally than a lot of WB'ers.
    You need to hike.
    Just hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwalker View Post
    You need to hike.
    You got that right Nightwalker, when do you want to go man?

Images

wow, a peanut butter war...

A jar of PB in the pack is worth two in the hiker box.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    A jar of PB in the pack is worth two in the hiker box.
    I remember living for a few days once on a jar of PB, a jar of honey, and a six pack of English muffins.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

[quote=Topcat;506353]Peanut butter is a staple in my pack. I used to be able to find the tubes but cant anymore around here so i just carry a jar now and dont worry about the weight.

I just found peanut butter in foil packets the other day at EMS. Much like giant ketchup packets and ridiculously expensive, but what do you do with the empty space in the jar when its half gone? I ususally buy a 6 pack of bagels because they can take the squishing, evenly distribute the pb and leave the empty jar in town.

Come to think of it, I think they make small tubes (not tubs) of PB. These were sold in the supermarket. I forget what brand.

I just don't eat anywhere near the PB that a thru-hiker might, so the jar is just way overkill for me even for a week+ trip.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

[quote=vonfrick;506448][quote=Topcat;506353]Peanut butter is a staple in my pack. I used to be able to find the tubes but cant anymore around here so i just carry a jar now and dont worry about the weight.

I just found peanut butter in foil packets the other day at EMS. Much like giant ketchup packets and ridiculously expensive, but what do you do with the empty space in the jar when its half gone? /quote]

I usually just stare at it and sigh.......

Take a knee...are you thru hiking this year?

My favorite snack - Peanut Butter "Pemmican". Pulverized jerky, crushed dried blueberries, and PB to bind it all together. I mix it up and put it back in the plastic jar.

I was watching a food network special about peanut butter and it said in the 50's someone sold an Peanut Butter-bacon combo in a jar.

To great things that taste great together..lol

There is a product on the market called PB2. Powdered PB. www.bellplantation.com
    75% less fat which may not work for hiker diet; however it is lite, lite, lite. In hot chocolate a teaspoon - tablespoon is awesome. Mixed right in with jelly with out adding an water. Superb!!!!
    Try it you may like it. Indygirl
    Indy Girl
    "Those who wander are not lost."
    "You must be willing to get rid of the life you have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you." Joseph Campbell

Images

http://www.peanutbutter.com/squeezeProducts.asp

Kind of pricey.

Plus it is not Jif.

Images

Question

I wonder if some people shorten their lives and develop ulcers, hypertension, etc, because of the stress of figuring out what they and others should eat to remain healthy?
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Fiddleback View Post
    Refrigeration? People refrigerate peanut butter? I've never seen refrigerated peanut butter and certainly have never eaten any...

FYI, trans fats result from patially hydrogenated oils and peanut butter, other than the 'natural' stuff, uses partially hydrogentated oil. But the amount of partially hydrogenated oil used in peanut butters is so small that virtually all peanut butters qualify for a "zero trans fat' label. In other words, the trans fat content is too low to accurately measure.

Those natural peanut butters without the partially hydrogenated oils will usually separate some requiring the peanut oil to be strirred back in. Reminds me of the big bowls of peanut butter in my college dorm cafeteria...

FB
    Yes, some people do refrig natural peanut butter, and as I also do, Almond butter, in part, due to the separation you referred to in the latter part of your statement, as well as what is recommended on the jar by the company.

What part of my quote makes you believe that I need any info or explaining to on the history and findings and FDA regulations on trans fat labeling??

I might add it was not until January, 2007 that this went into effect even though it was approved over a year prior, giving companies time to lower their transfat labels to FDA contents, as you correctly stated!

My statement was an answer and response to take-a-knee's posting on natural peanut butter for hiking. It was not, and is not intended to change the believes and choices that other hikers prefer!

Quote Originally Posted by cbserafin7 View Post
    There is a product on the market called PB2. Powdered PB. www.bellplantation.com
    75% less fat which may not work for hiker diet; however it is lite, lite, lite. In hot chocolate a teaspoon - tablespoon is awesome. Mixed right in with jelly with out adding an water. Superb!!!!
    Try it you may like it. Indygirl

That looks interesting, I’m going to order some and see how it tastes. A new food to try is always a good thing.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++