WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

we need to find balance. Most WBers cherish freedom, well, land owners have property rights, they have made substantial investments, and are entitled to harvest their timber. Don't forget that trees are a renewable resource. The Cohuttha Wilderness, here in GA was heavily timbered until the 1930's, In 70 years it has made a substantial comeback.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Alligator, the woods may have regrown, but they're never as diverse as they were before being cut. It takes a helluva long time to create a truly diverse forest.
    That's not true. There's a lot of diversity in new forest. Many bird species require edge and open conditions for habitat. Further, in general, at the time of establishment (called stand initiation), most of the tree species that will occupy the site are already there (initial floristics). As the stand ages, trees die but new trees do not invade unless there is a minor disturbance. That's called stem exclusion.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Your making an assumption that nature was destroyed. If it grew back, it was not destroyed.

Please stop shouting if you want to have a reasonable discussion.
    They are going to build a mall with a parking lot, a subdivions and an apartment complex, What the hell is the difference? This town I live in has more empty buildings they you can shake your hiking pole at, why take more land away? Why not use those buldings that are there?You got any empty housing, buildings or parking spaces where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    Yes, it was. The original inhabitants home's don't grow back. The original rock formations and eco systems don't grow back. Everyone knows that the rich diversity seen in first growth forests makes second and third growth look pathetic.
    Old growth can be some of the least diverse of forest. Consider an old growth hemlock stand. Most of the trees from the time of establishment have long since died leaving nearly pure stands of simply hemlock. It's not a black and white situation.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Lacbe View Post
    They are going to build a mall with a parking lot, a subdivions and an apartment complex, What the hell is the difference? This town I live in has more empty buildings they you can shake your hiking pole at, why take more land away? Why not use those buldings that are there?You got any empty housing, buildings or parking spaces where you live?
    That's a different story then. Show your displeasure by not living or shopping there. How many kids/grandkids do you have?
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

lacabe,
    WE feel your pain. Soon there won't be any green space between Macon and Atlanta. I know we have too damn many abandoned shopping centers in the Atlanta Area.

Old growth can be some of the least diverse of forest. Consider an old growth hemlock stand. Most of the trees from the time of establishment have long since died leaving nearly pure stands of simply hemlock. It's not a black and white situation.
    True, but that's the way it's supposed to be. It grew that way for a reason.

That's a different story then. Show your displeasure by not living or shopping there. How many kids/grandkids do you have?
    Ahhhhh the free market answer.... Let them trample all over what you love and then register your displeasure after then fact.

That's not true. There's a lot of diversity in new forest.
    Why is it, then, that I can always identify a "farmed" forest? Even more so out west. There are tall trees aplenty, but they're all the same, and there's nothing interesting between them.

Why not mow down forests to "improve" their diversity? It just doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu2 View Post
    True, but that's the way it's supposed to be. It grew that way for a reason.
    Thanks for agreeing with me that 2nd and 3rd growth forests can be more diverse than old growth.

Those cutover forests can also grow into old-growth.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Why is it, then, that I can always identify a "farmed" forest? Even more so out west. There are tall trees aplenty, but they're all the same, and there's nothing interesting between them.

Why not mow down forests to "improve" their diversity? It just doesn't make sense.
    Nahhhh, Dude. There's, like, 2 different kinds of squirrels there.

I think by using "farmed" you mean a plantation? Because they plant identical trees in rows. Bufu in my opinion.

Forests can also be cut down and left to natural regeneration. It depends really.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

Trees are a renewable resource. In michigan the best places to find wild game is a clear cut that is about 8 years old. If you don't want people to cut down trees. Don't buy lumber or anything with paper in it. We need to use our heads and use our resources wisely. No one wants trees cut down in "their forrest". Me included.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Trees are a renewable resource. In michigan the best places to find wild game is a clear cut that is about 8 years old. If you don't want people to cut down trees. Don't buy lumber or anything with paper in it. We need to use our heads and use our resources wisely. No one wants trees cut down in "their forrest". Me included.
    How much of the wood you've ever used is local? Very little, I bet.

The History Channel will air a 2 hour special on Monday @ 8 PM EST. The title is something like: Life without People. It will show how nature will recover after we are gone, and yes we will be gone one day. Nature will be just fine and then the sun will burn out and then the universe will become an extremely cold dead space.....

Now let's go hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    The History Channel will air a 2 hour special on Monday @ 8 PM EST. The title is something like: Life without People. It will show how nature will recover after we are gone, and yes we will be gone one day. Nature will be just fine and then the sun will burn out and then the universe will become an extremely cold dead space.....

Now let's go hiking!
    The History of the world according to Fox is going to show us how everything will be fine once we're dead? How fitting.

If a protesting hippy tree-sitter deep in the forest falls to the ground does anybody hear or care?

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post

Now let's go hiking!
    Don't worry about the woods Austin ( my grandson ).The world will end in about 5 million yrs, do with the earth what you will. Nature will survive untill then. I know the earth would be happier with out us humans trying to save it.

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    If a protesting hippy tree-sitter deep in the forest falls to the ground does anybody hear or care?
    Why would a tree sitter sit deep in an empty forest, dummy? I thought the whole point of tree sitting was to go where the action is.

Images

IT is my belief that developers are destroying this country, not just the nature. Water shortages in Atlanta are partially due to the fact that the land has been covered over in cement/asphalt and the water doesn't go back to the land, it goes down drainage pipes. So, there is less evaporation, therefore, less rainfall.

They paved paradise, put up a parking lot.......

There is a giant parking lot near where I live. It is a car auction place. I bet there is no less than 30 acres that have been clearcut and asphalt put down where 1000's upon 1000's of cars are parked. It's disgusting. That's why I'll never be rich. I see that and just see the ruination of forests. Someone else sees it and can calculate the money to be made......
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++