WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

View Poll Results: Should we have more smileys as in Sgt Roc's HQ?

Voters
89. This poll is closed
  • Yes, ALL of them! It will liven things up!

31 34.83%
  • Yes, but just SOME of them! Don't overdo it

17 19.10%
  • No, things are fine here as they are!

24 26.97%
  • No, and get rid of the ones that are here now

9 10.11%
  • I don't care. Smileys are too complicated for me.

8 8.99%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Smileys

Quote Originally Posted by Shades of Gray View Post
    I don't know anything about their downside to which attroll has alluded. Maybe he would explain his objections in greater detail in non-technical terms.
    maybe he owes you nor anybody else any explanation about how this site is run

Images

It just would be nice to have more. That's not a rant. I think BearPaw put it about right. It would be fun, and happy.

Looks to me as if they are the preference - at least more of them - of most people. I hope something can be done about that.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    maybe he owes you nor anybody else any explanation about how this site is run
    Didn't say he did. Only thought it might be more palatable to those who appear to be unhappy and help foot the bill. I don't really care one way or the other.

Journal Entries
    Images

Just reading through this thread on smiley's tells me that you people have way to much time on your hands if you coming here and worrying about posting smiley's.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Just reading through this thread on smiley's tells me that you people have way to much time on your hands if you coming here and worrying about posting smiley's.

Typical of people suffering from cabin fever.............

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    Typical of people suffering from cabin fever.............

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Thing is, only people in the northern tier of the U.S. are suppose to be affected with cabin fever, can't explain what ails southern tier folks

Images

Geez, what a layup.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bearpaw View Post
    Some benefactor offered up this page earlier in this thread: http://www.appalachiantrailservices....=vB_Editor_001

Open it, save it to favorites, keep it open as a separate page whenever you're in a posting mood, then highlight the desired smiley and copy it, and finally - paste it into the desired WB post.

Try it a couple of times. It's only four clicks more than what we do already. Try it. You'll love it.
    Want to see something funny with smilies.I have a forum for local folks in Western NC.Look at some of these post discribing polititions http://wncforum.com/showthread.php?t=309

BTW, Can we ban the banana...

Troll, don't you know WB threads never end, they just go on until the mods get fed up and put a lock on it.

...your worst nightmare!
    Journal Entries
    Images

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post

BTW, Can we ban the banana...
    WHAT?! No way!!!

Just say no...

Images

At this point in time (Monday afternoon) there are 78 votes in the poll, and 50% favor adding some or all of the smileys that are at Hiking HQ (and which I think are a part of the default settings for this forum software), and 41% who say 'no'. The posts seem to be similarly divided.

Of our moderators, Troll has indicated that he doesn't changing is a good idea, since it would detract from the 'serious' aspect of this site. Rock hasn't weighed in, although I think he would have some sympathy for adding some/all of the ones that are available on Hiking HQ, which is also 'serious' but just as welcoming a 'campfire' as WB is. Dixi hasn't made it clear (to me, and sometimes I'm dense, I know) whether she'd add some or not, and no one speaks for Dixi except for Dixi. They, of course, are the only real 'voters'.

But unlike Kirby, I don't think making suggestions angers Troll. (If they did, he'd be on me like flies on....well, sugar or whatever, since the first suggestion I ever made to him was to become the Administrator of WhiteBlaze, a long, long time ago. Especially after this weekend, if he doesn't bear me a grudge for that, he probably should!) Actually, in my experience, he (and Rock and Dixi, all of them) listens to what us peasants suggest with real care. We're lucky here. This isn't a "my way or highway" forum. Thanks, Troll and Dixi and Rock.

But I think it would be appropriate to do at least a trial run with all the smileys. I don't know if they could be restricted to some subforums (such as Politics) or not, which might be hard. Or if they could be tried for the entire site for, say, a couple weeks to see if they ruin the site or are fun. (If tried like that, let the trial period recognize that the first week we'll all just go totally barking crazy with them and won't settle down for several days!)

Why? WB isn't "serious serious." It's not like the old Trailplace, where even cracking jokes could get you banned. This site is serious, but it's also raucous, bizarre (did someone say, "Where's Minnesota Smith?"), helpful, funny, sad (and I wish it weren't, for things like Meredith, but we put posts up not just about 'be careful this way' but we care about her, and others, as real people) and a whole lot more. Smileys can add another dimension to all of those, sometimes adding gentleness in a little cartoon to otherwise harsh words, or a gentle admonition (is there a "Weasel, stuff it!" one yet?)and a lot more.

WB is a work of art in progress, and we are all, in different ways, artists scribbling on its sketchbook. Yes, Rock, Troll and Dixi are the 'supervising' artists. I hope they'll let the rest of us give it a try and see if it doesn't make WB even better than it is today.

The Weasel
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    But unlike Kirby, I don't think making suggestions angers Troll. ...

What does anger people is that when after they tell you no, you continue to try to sell them something like a pushy salesman.

There's actually a great compromise afoot regarding smilies. If you can figure it out, you can use lots of new ones.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Journal Entries
    Images

adding some or all of the smileys that are at Hiking HQ (and which I think are a part of the default settings for this forum software)
    These are the default ones that come with the forum software.

There is really no need to add anymore smiles when you can import them into you post here from HQ or other web sites.

Why not use the bandwidth from the other web sites rather then ours.
    Last edited by attroll; 01-14-2008 at 17:58.
    AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Weasel,

With all due respect counsellor, that was some oration on a very trivial topic. Gator has a point, it takes less time to borrow a smilie than you just spent talking about it. Not hard at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post

What does anger people is that when after they tell you no, you continue to try to sell them something like a pushy salesman.

There's actually a great compromise afoot regarding smilies. If you can figure it out, you can use lots of new ones.
    These are the default ones that come with the forum software.

There is really no need to add anymore smiles when you can import them into you post here from HQ or other web sites.

Why not use the bandwidth from the other web sites rather then ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Weasel,

With all due respect counsellor, that was some oration on a very trivial topic. Gator has a point, it takes less time to borrow a smilie than you just spent talking about it. Not hard at all.

Well, me, I read Troll's earlier comment to be that he didn't want to see more smileys, period. Period as in, "no." And then others seemed to me to sort of jam it to him by just importing anything they wanted, and now a couple of you just want to be less than understanding of why I thought it might be appropriate to say, "Hey Troll ! Can we do something different?" I also thought it might be nice to recognize that all of our moderators may have preferences, and since one seemed reluctant, it would be appropriate to wait until they all weighed in. Sorry that two of you would rather be insulting to me than realize (or even try to) why I did what I did.

As for Troll, thanks for telling me what's OK. I appreciate that.

TW

Images

I hope they'll let the rest of us give it a try and see if it doesn't make WB even better than it is today. The Weasel

I voted in post #66.
    I love the smell of esbit in the morning!

Well, me, I read Troll's earlier comment to be that he didn't want to see more smileys, period. Period as in, "no." And then others seemed to me to sort of jam it to him by just importing anything they wanted, and now a couple of you just want to be less than understanding of why I thought it might be appropriate to say, "Hey Troll ! Can we do something different?" I also thought it might be nice to recognize that all of our moderators may have preferences, and since one seemed reluctant, it would be appropriate to wait until they all weighed in. Sorry that two of you would rather be insulting to me than realize (or even try to) why I did what I did.

As for Troll, thanks for telling me what's OK. I appreciate that.

TW
    I was not trying to insult you. I was trying to point out that a) Troll already made his wishes known b) it IS trivial and c) ... um, who cares what c) is. Go fight with Tarlin if you need a fight. I ain't interested.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++