WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Images

Oh my God.

Moderators and/or God, PLEASE forgive him, for he knew not what he did.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i agree. squeaky too. nean. roy. maineak. michael p. jones. jim and ginny...the list goes on
    Yes. Flyin' Brian, Heald, Pony Express, Billy Goat, etc. Billy Goat's got some 7ish PCT hikes, 3 AT hikes, 3 ColoradoTrail hikes, CDT, etc. One of the most humble, soft-spoken people alive. Loves the trail.

Hope this doesn't come off as corny. Though I respect those who don't think "records" have a place in the hiking community, I think it's even more important to keep the oral tradition alive by talking about the true trail legends, the ones who have done things others haven't, have spent years hiking, and aren't well known by much of the hiking community. It's not the importance of the frequency of their hikes, but rather their life-long devotion to something we all love.

If you enjoy and value history, and there aren't and will be no records of the accomplishments of these individuals, it's important to keep their legacy going through stories and dialogues like this.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
    Yes. Flyin' Brian, Heald, Pony Express, Billy Goat, etc. Billy Goat's got some 7ish PCT hikes, 3 AT hikes, 3 ColoradoTrail hikes, CDT, etc. One of the most humble, soft-spoken people alive. Loves the trail.

Hope this doesn't come off as corny. Though I respect those who don't think "records" have a place in the hiking community, I think it's even more important to keep the oral tradition alive by talking about the true trail legends, the ones who have done things others haven't, have spent years hiking, and aren't well known by much of the hiking community. It's not the importance of the frequency of their hikes, but rather their life-long devotion to something we all love.

If you enjoy and value history, and there aren't and will be no records of the accomplishments of these individuals, it's important to keep their legacy going through stories and dialogues like this.
    Yeah, that's the point. Not the miles, but the people. That's the lesson of Earl.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Well, Wolf, actually I think I'm closer to a dozen years older than you, although I don't feel like it (except for today, with a rotten cold in Michigan), and I assume you started walking about 12 months into the life cycle. So let's say I was 13.

By that time, I'd probably backpacked something north of 600 miles in the prior 3 years, most of it from Scouting, including pretty big hunks of the Bruce Trail, several middlin' trails in Michigan, and one honkin' big (for a 12 year old) stretch of walking in Michigan's Porkies as well as other chunks of Southern Indiana and Western Michigan. My Scout troop didn't do much of what Scouts do now in terms of 'badge work' and all the rest of the very good, but different things, that happen today. We went camping for 3 days every month as a Troop, and usually 1-3 a month as a Patrol (northern Indiana didn't have much going for kids in the 50s other than basketball (winter) and Scouts (rest of year). And most of the trips involved getting driven to the end of the dirt road, dumped out, and walking for the rest of the time. And since our Scoutmaster was a Chief Master Sgt in the USAF who thought tents were for sissies, we just laid out (winter/summer, rain/shine) on the ground in our army down bags. And then got up and walked some more.

By the time you were starting long walking, about that age, I suspect, I probably had nother 700-1,000 miles down, but I've never kept track. And in the years after that, long hunks in a lot of places. But I don't have a mileage log; that wasn't the purpose. I've just always enjoyed seeing what the bear saw...on the other side of the hills. I think you do, too.

TW
    BFD unimpressed

Images

BFD unimpressed
    Good. I didn't write it to impress anyone. Where I've walked, and with whom, and why, and how much, matters only to me. The same for you. Enjoy.

TW

Smile Fos

Good. I didn't write it to impress anyone. Where I've walked, and with whom, and why, and how much, matters only to me. The same for you. Enjoy.

TW
    Weasel: Thanks for the biggest laugh I've had all day. By the way, where and when did you live in northern Indiana.
    taking the high roads and the low roads

Images

Quote Originally Posted by imobileman View Post
    Weasel: Thanks for the biggest laugh I've had all day. By the way, where and when did you live in northern Indiana.
    If you know who Jean Shepherd is, from stories or the TV version of "A Christmas Story," I lived close to there, not much later. When the Bumpus family moved, they moved to where I lived. And I knew Scut Farkus, and he knew me.

Michigan City, in the 50s. South Bend in the early 70s. Me and and the Two Joes, that time. You know, Thees-man, as in Hees-man.

TW

Stir Fry

no, there is no clear cut record. but i know ward and i know he has multiple thru-hikes, no flips, no support, and no slackpacking. nobody will compare to him
    What is "slackpacking"

Ward Leonard
    Soon to be the WildCowboy

so at 10 years old what distances were you walking?
    My kid did twelve miles at 6

Quote Originally Posted by traftonm View Post
    What is "slackpacking"
    It's where you have someone drop you to hike a section and pick you up at the end of the day. Generally a someone slacking doesn't carry their full pack that day, just a day pack and water.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by traftonm View Post
    What is "slackpacking"
    It is:

(a) Wearing long pants instead of shorts.
    (b) Following Wolf from home to the bar.
    (c) Backpacking without backpacks, i.e. being a slacker on the trail.

Pick one. Most of us will go for (c), although (b) may draw a few votes.

TW

Wolf, I was walking long distances when you were trying to learn to walk. Maybe you've walked more than me since, maybe not, and I don't care which; I've walked places and distances that pleased me, and you've done the same. Always liked hiking/backpacking because it wasn't a bragging sport or a competition with others. But maybe that day is changing. Can't wait for our version of the BCS.

TW
    Kind of sounds lile the tortoise and the hare..only we will catch up to you while you are dirt napping

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    My kid did twelve miles at 6
    Late bloomer. Mine did 10 at 4.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post

My boy was precocious, I guess.

He could hike as many miles as his Mom starting at conception.
    Skids

Insanity: Asking about inseams over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)

My kid hiked up to Nevada Falls at Yosemite at 3

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    My kid hiked up to Nevada Falls at Yosemite at 3
    Wow, that's one HECK of a climb for a 3-year-old! It hurt me just heading DOWN from those falls!
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Is this how soccer mom phenomenon starts? I bow out. Your kid is amazing. Outstanding. Beyond comparison. You must be very proud.

Is this how soccer mom phenomenon starts? I bow out. Your kid is amazing. Outstanding. Beyond comparison. You must be very proud.
    OH lighten up Francis and have a sense of humor

If you hadn't raised the white flag I was going drive him 100 miles, drop him off and tell him he better be at school on time Monday. He's 16 now, waybe 150 miles is more like it

As far as soccer mom....hardly...all I ever expected was effort, not performance

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Obviously, none of you has been on the AT much, certainly not in '98 or '03. Any man made of iron would have rusted clear through by Waywayanda Mountain, either direction.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++