WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: How much AT have you hiked, and were you armed?

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by oldfivetango View Post
    I think the greater question here is...
    No, the greater question here was stated in Message #1 of this thread. Apparently it's lost on you, so I won't bother repeating it.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    My sense is that most of those arguing in favor of being armed while hiking have not walked large distances on the AT. This poll is to see if I'm completely wet about that.
    Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    No, the greater question here was stated in Message #1 of this thread. Apparently it's lost on you, so I won't bother repeating it.
    OK, I'll do it. If you don't like the concept of a thread but asnswer it anyway. . .???

Images

Yes, that is probably a great point. If I were to meet someone with a gun (that I don't already know) they go straight to the list of most likely a danger, not my knight in shining armor list. And given that it is a gun on a hiker which is not normal (like a guy walking around with an Asp) I would probably go out of my way to tell some ranger or other LEO if I saw them that there is a nut-bag posing as a hiker that is toting a gun.

Lets face it, once you arm yourself like that as a hiker, you will not be the norm, but the guy everyone is supposed to watch out for as the threat. It will be a rare person on the trail that is thankful you decided to carry.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Yes, that is probably a great point. If I were to meet someone with a gun (that I don't already know) they go straight to the list of most likely a danger, not my knight in shining armor list. And given that it is a gun on a hiker which is not normal (like a guy walking around with an Asp) I would probably go out of my way to tell some ranger or other LEO if I saw them that there is a nut-bag posing as a hiker that is toting a gun.

Lets face it, once you arm yourself like that as a hiker, you will not be the norm, but the guy everyone is supposed to watch out for as the threat. It will be a rare person on the trail that is thankful you decided to carry.
    "Ferris, you're my hero."

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    Why are guns the only things anyone thinks of when we talk about being "armed?" There are other ways of being armed, other weapons, you know...
    I carry a Gerber LST knife at all times (more or less) with its massive 2" blade. Does that make me armed?

In case anyone's confused, by armed in this poll I really did mean firearms. I could have said, "carry" or "carrying" but those unfamiliar with gun culture might not know what that term means. Plus, I wasn't sure how much text I could put next to each of the poll options. It's my first poll... please be gentle.

Images

I agree with Rock that it doesn't necessarily mean you're paranoid to worry if you see another hiker armed. I don't really concern myself one way or another with what other hikers are doing, as long as it doesn't unpleasantly impact me or my children, but having said that, I'd put firearms in a whole different category. I AM worried about these, since my mother was shot in the face by a careless gun user (she survived, thank God). One careless user does not equal all users, of course, but the problem, to me at least, is that guns can cause so very much damage if not handled correctly or if there is an accident.

Jane in CT

Images

The only gun I own is a 410 shotgun, given to me by my Dad when I was a child. The intent was that I would go Pheasent hunting with him. Never shot a pheasent, haven't had the gun out of it's case in over 30 years. Doubt it's any good anymore. definatly would never try to fire it at this point.

Have NEVER felt the need or desire to have a gun on my person, hiking or not.

I don't know about Pheasants, but I went pigeon hunting once. Well, it wasn't much of a hunt, they kept jumping out in front of me, some going right, some going left, some going straight. I was told to lead them a little and I did and dusted 8 out of 10. Stupid clay pigeons.

Default hiked AT unarmed.

I thru hiked the entire AT without any weapon and without a cell phone.

I am amazed this issue even keeps coming up.

Some people act like hiking a long trail is like going through a big city. I hear repeatedly from hikers that being deep in the woods on the AT is the safest place you could be.

One could make the case that carrying a gun will in fact make you less safe. And God help you if you are stupid enough to shoot at a bear!

DavidNH

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    I thru hiked the entire AT without any weapon and without a cell phone.
    wow! you are so brave.

I think the greater question here is,why does it matter to Terrapin or anyone else who carries a weapon with which to defend their life or not?
    It matters to me because I sometimes backpack with others. I don't want anyone packing a gun to end up on a hike with me. If I found out someone hiking with me or planning to hike with me was carrying, we'd part ways right then & there.

Why you might ask? Because I don't need that energy around me in the woods. It's that simple. I hike to get away from stress, tension and anxiety.

I saw it put best here yesterday by a gun owner on another thread. He said something like, and I'm paraphrasing, "if you have to carry a gun on vacation, maybe you should consider picking a different vacation destination."

Images

Unhappy Guns = Safety?!!!!!!

Maybe all scaredy-cat, gun-totin' cowboy hikers should also take their dogs with 'em and solve the problem for safety-conscious hikers.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5434984.html
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080109/...usa_huntingdog

After all, it ain't guns that kill people, it's people. Er, and dogs. And accidents. And thieves. And drunks. And mistakes.

You know, maybe it is the guns.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    If I found out someone hiking with me or planning to hike with me was carrying, we'd part ways right then & there.
    Outside common griz country for me.

Or polar bear habitat, but then I am tired of ice.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    Outside common griz country for me.

Or polar bear habitat, but then I am tired of ice.
    Um, if your carry around the carnivorous bears, make sure it is of the highest caliber with rapid fire capability, otherwise you will just piss them off. I know you know that, but I bring it up just in case someone else decides that might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    Um, if your carry around the carnivorous bears, make sure it is of the highest caliber with rapid fire capability, otherwise you will just piss them off.
    What about when you hike around non-carnivorous bears?

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI View Post
    What about when you hike around non-carnivorous bears?
    Well, I was thinking the non-cons would be less aggressive and you would be less likely to feel the need to shoot one, but I will concede the point and include all bears then. Actually, I think they are all omnivores anyway. Well, I don't know about polar bears, I don't think there are two many veggies where they live.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post

And who is going to know if someone is carrying a concealed weapon?
    What part of the term "concealed carry" is it that you people don't
    understand?

And,yes,Terrapin,your 2 inch gerber knife is a weapon if you decide to
    nut up and try and slash someone with it,just sayin.So you might know
    that I am no more a threat to any good people with my firearm than
    you are with your knife.

Now,that said,any cowboy that wears his gun outside his pants(to
    quote an old Willie Nelson song) is a whole nuther story and honestly
    would give me some anxiety I must admit.
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Well, hey, O5T, since we're trading irrelevant questions, just how much of the AT have you actually walked? "Inquiring minds want to know."

And who is going to know if someone is carrying a concealed weapon?
    What part of the term "concealed carry" is it that you people don't
    understand?

And,yes,Terrapin,your 2 inch gerber knife is a weapon if you decide to
    nut up and try and slash someone with it,just sayin.So you might know
    that I am no more a threat to any good people with my firearm than
    you are with your knife.

Now,that said,any cowboy that wears his gun outside his pants(to
    quote an old Willie Nelson song) is a whole nuther story and honestly
    would give me some anxiety I must admit.
    Oldfivetango
    Hey, I also live in Millidgeville. Spelled a little different.

I have never carried a gun, but I bought one yesterday. Now for the lessons and license.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++