WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

my children are well taken care of and i wouldn't be doing it if they weren't

Quote Originally Posted by snowsurfer View Post
    my children are well taken care of and i wouldn't be doing it if they weren't
    Ignore that naysayer, your children will be better off without you.

haha this is funny!
    what kind of ego stroking you need snow surfer? If you've done winter guiding on the hardest part of the trail and feed 3-4 people on $75 a week-- what can i tell you that you don't already know?

i bet you can do it for free, average 50 miles a day, and other hikers will carry your gear for you. you da man! stroke stroke stroke!

Quote Originally Posted by Matteroo View Post
    haha this is funny!
    what kind of ego stroking you need snow surfer? If you've done winter guiding on the hardest part of the trail and feed 3-4 people on $75 a week-- what can i tell you that you don't already know?

i bet you can do it for free, average 50 miles a day, and other hikers will carry your gear for you. you da man! stroke stroke stroke!
    Maybe he can hook up with the wild cowboy. They should be able to do it together in 30 days on less than $1500.

ive heard people doing it for under a thousnd, i feed my family of three for 75 a week c'mon now one person does not need 75 a week in food
    Got any teenagers? Heck just one

Images

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    Maybe he can hook up with the wild cowboy. They should be able to do it together in 30 days on less than $1500.
    Or he can hangout with the Overweight Hikers on the other thread ... they barely touch their meals.
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    That was funny.

W.C. will be to fast for him.

Images

Default jethro

Quote Originally Posted by OregonHiker View Post
    Got any teenagers? Heck just one
    know how somethings just bring a song to mind:
    Come 'n listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed
    A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    know how somethings just bring a song to mind:
    Come 'n listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed
    A poor mountaineer, barely kept his family fed
    Now you've made me wonder. Before that oil strike, did that one room cabin house Jed, Granny, Elly May and also cousin Jethro? That seems a little too damn cozy.

Or did Jethro join them just as they were moving to California?

Bet Granny could made the hike on $1500. Would have finished it with $1550, factoring in sales of tonic and medical services.

Jethro? Probably couldn't have made the hike with less than $15,000 and part of it would have been yellow blazing in a tank.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

no hotels, no restaurant spoils, straight through from georgia to maine. if there are no serious problems can it be done for 1500 dollars
    Yes. Without a doubt. If all you do is hike and camp, and buy mac and cheese, etc., when you stop for food.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    if there are no serious problems

Do you remember 4-7 months of your life that have not included any serious problems?

And walking 2,000 miles to boot...

I think one always needs a rainy day fund. Rain is inevitable.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Or did Jethro join them just as they were moving to California?
    As a matter of fact, Jethro did not live with them before moving to Californee.
    TV Land played the very first episode over the holidays. The truck belonged to Cousin Pearl, Jethro's mother.

no hotels, no restaurant spoils, straight through from georgia to maine. if there are no serious problems can it be done for 1500 dollars
    No, it cannot be done on 1500 dollars alone, but can be with 1500 dollars and a tremendous amount of willpower - and also provided that you have most of the gear/replacement gear that you will need.

You'll have to go into towns at some point, whether it be for resupply, washing your clothing (necessity here - esp. socks), or family contact, and you will have the weird cravings that hikers get (ice cream, hamburgers, meat in general, fruit, etc).

It can certainly be done, though.

You should count on that money to make you self-sufficient, though, and not count on finding what you need in hiker boxes.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...2959#post22959

Very difficult, do-able if you have the tenacity and realisitic expectations. The above link may help.

Another option is to wait a few moths, save some cash and go SoBo.

Good luck.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

snowsurfer = wild cowboy ??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    snowsurfer = wild cowboy ??
    Man I can only hope!
    :theme from Jaws playing in the background:
    You can never appreciate the shade of a tree unless you sweat in the sun.-- Author Unknown

Go for their was guy who did on 1200 and he had to buy gear to so i would say he did for less then 1200. I plan on most all wood exp. myself only time i gone to town is to resupply might lose some folks that way but you alway meet new one on the way.

my point exactly, this experience for me is to be a spiritual one with nature which hiking for me has always been. continuosly going in town and staying at hostels or hotels, eating at restaraunts takes away from the true reason why i will do this in the first place. meeting new poeple that have a common interest is one of the great experiences but that doesn't mean you travel with them the whole way or as far as they can. i think it is more rewarding to spend time hiking with many groups rather than a select few. i find it interesting that so many of you were so quick to say it can't be done, when upon placing the post i have learned from quite a few that it can. for you obviously it can't due to your need for candy, beer, ice cream, luxuries and so on but for poeple that do this to truly get away and resist temptation on superficial so called necessities like hotels and treats along the way to complete the hike, i thank you for letting me know there are still true die hard wilderness expeditioners out there.
    cheech

my point exactly, this experience for me is to be a spiritual one with nature which hiking for me has always been. continuosly going in town and staying at hostels or hotels, eating at restaraunts takes away from the true reason why i will do this in the first place. meeting new poeple that have a common interest is one of the great experiences but that doesn't mean you travel with them the whole way or as far as they can. i think it is more rewarding to spend time hiking with many groups rather than a select few. i find it interesting that so many of you were so quick to say it can't be done, when upon placing the post i have learned from quite a few that it can. for you obviously it can't due to your need for candy, beer, ice cream, luxuries and so on but for poeple that do this to truly get away and resist temptation on superficial so called necessities like hotels and treats along the way to complete the hike, i thank you for letting me know there are still true die hard wilderness expeditioners out there.
    have you ever done any long distance backpacking?

i have done two three month semesters with outward bound. one hiking across joshua tree about ten to fifteen miles a day with a 60 lb pack in temps about 80 to 90 degrees. the other in canyonland national park canyoneering with about the same weight. i hiked from the mass. n.h. border to baxter state park leading a group of four teaching winter survival skills along the way in february. that task i did with a fellow who has through hiked the at and said the few hundred miles we did in the winter was far more mentally and physically changing. i know my limits and capabilities i was just getting some thoughts on my question
    cheech

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++