WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    Somewhere between Monroe NC and Dinwiddie VA

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    your opinion. my choice to carry or not
    I agree

Quote Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
    Thanks Tin Man.. ticks were one of my first subjects for a bit of homework and I have already been advised that some of the info on the ALDF website regarding tick risk in Virginia (http://www.aldf.com/RiskMap/virginia/virginia.shtml) is perhaps a little optimistic.

Regarding removal I am going to put a Tick Twister (http://www.ticktwister.com/index.html) in my pack as this seems a great deal easier than tweezers.

I may need to undertake a course in yoga before I come over so that I can reach the parts that even a best friend may prefer not to go
    I wouldn't go to too much trouble here. Ticks are not too much of an issue and they take 2 days to dig in far enough where you would need a tick twister and before they can unleash their cooties.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    When did WhiteBlaze turn into talk.politics.guns? Just wonderin... Take your Kleck and Lott and go...
    It's a wide open forum. You should be able to find something to read that's more to your liking. Try hammocks.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    I wouldn't go to too much trouble here. Ticks are not too much of an issue and they take 2 days to dig in far enough where you would need a tick twister and before they can unleash their cooties.
    Whatever you do. Don't try to shoot a tick with anything larger than a .22. Way too much collateral damage.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

I agree that people should practice HYOH respect for one another, but I take exception to people carrying flamingos, unless it is properly dressed, stuffed and basted for roasting over a campfire.

Sorry. Good post btw.
    I don't know .... Trained attack flamingos may be just the ticket.

Images

I along with many on here hike solo much of the time and as many have said the best defense is paying attention. I've met many nice people on trails and some creepy ones. However, regardless of how someone comes across I answer the question of where I'm going or camping with: down the trail a ways. Tell people that I don't know: nothing that could be information that would allow them to find me later. Stay back far enough that they can't grab me and don't put myself in a position of being surrounded. Move on with have a nice day.

However, I do carry pepper spray...tough I'll take my chances with getting busted for it. When I have a female with me I'm extra vigilant to people that I meet.

If folks want to carry guns...do so...please get trained and don't be so scared that you shoot innocent people. If you're that scared you're probably miserable in the woods anyway.

But, and I'm adamant about this...nobody and I mean nobody can make me leave my flamingo at home.
    If you don't make waves, it means you ain't paddling

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Captn View Post
    I don't know .... Trained attack flamingos may be just the ticket.
    I often think it would be nice to have some sort of trained sparrow that flew around my head eating mosquitoes.

Maybe a posse of dragon flies.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Good point

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    your opinion. my choice to carry or not
    Amen .......

Images

Quote Originally Posted by envirodiver View Post

But, and I'm adamant about this...nobody and I mean nobody can make me leave my flamingo at home.
    Image of Charlton Heston raising a pink flamingo overhead and issuing warning, "From my cold, dead hands"
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Quote Originally Posted by River Runner View Post
    Umm, no, I don't think it went over my head.

Maybe my point went over your head.

I'll still stick with the original idea that taking a few pictures could be useful - not only in the event someone comes up missing, but also in the event I come back and find a great big old dent in my car. Or if it has been broken into there might be witnesses.

As posted previously, it is perfectly legal to take pictures in public places without the approval or permission of someone else.

Yes sir ..... and I've had my car hit on several occasions at trailheads .... so far ... no one bothered to leave a note or take responsibility.

Images

Trouble is.. my hike will be four days so that gives the little buggers time to dig in if they are so inclined.

I know, I'll sneakily get a .22 and send the sods to meet their maker that way... on the other hand, that may come under the heading of overkill
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spastic View Post
    It's also legal to take pictures of teenagers at the mall, but that doesn't make it any less creepy.
    And you Honestly want to equate taking a picture of a license plate and Pedophilia?

Have you no shame?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigStu View Post
    Trouble is.. my hike will be four days so that gives the little buggers time to dig in if they are so inclined.

I know, I'll sneakily get a .22 and send the sods to meet their maker that way... on the other hand, that may come under the heading of overkill
    I hear that flamingos love ticks .....

Images

I hear that flamingos love ticks .....
    On the one hand that sounds like a solution but have you seen the size of their beaks ?

What I need to do is compare the muzzle velocity of a .22 to the possibility of a muzzle for a flamingo.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill.

Tin Man-"I agree that people should practice HYOH respect for one another, but I take exception to people carrying flamingos, unless it is properly dressed, stuffed and basted for roasting over a campfire."
    The people of Northfield, NH, would take exception to any mistreatment of Pink Flamingos. Check out this link that has the background on S.P.AW. and it's continuing efforts to protect New Hampshire's favorite bird. Note that Flaminguins are also protected in Northfield. Scroll down to see photos of the big Flamingo Parade.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    The people of Northfield, NH, would take exception to any mistreatment of Pink Flamingos. Check out this link that has the background on S.P.AW. and it's continuing efforts to protect New Hampshire's favorite bird. Note that Flaminguins are also protected in Northfield. Scroll down to see photos of the big Flamingo Parade.
    It has to be said that taking a flamingo away from these people, if only to nibble the ticks off my butt, would be a considerable kindness .

And you Honestly want to equate taking a picture of a license plate and Pedophilia?

Have you no shame?
    Well said.

BigStu-"It has to be said that taking a flamingo away from these people, if only to nibble the ticks off my butt, would be a considerable kindness ."
    I could happily have lived my whole life without that visual!

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart View Post
    When is the next Flamingo Parade? Is it like the Hiker Parade at Trail Daze? In other words, do the Flamingos wear costumes and parade drunk?

Images

Default pepper spray

[quote=envirodiver;495870]I along with many on here hike solo much of the time and as many have said the best defense is paying attention.
    However, I do carry pepper spray...tough I'll take my chances with getting busted for it. When I have a female with me I'm extra vigilant to people that I meet.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but where do you buy pepper spray? Is it a controlled substance or can you purchase it over the counter? Is it effective? I wouldn't mind carrying some with me on the trail now. Thanks.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++