WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've never read or needed an in-depth review in order to by a piece of gear. Either seeing the gear in person or a couple of opinions to buy online usually do just fine.

So when you read a 10 page glowing review about a piece of gear online by someone who has obviously just tested the item out for one or two days, you take it at face value? Interesting...

Images

I use their forum but do not subscribe. For gear reviews I go to thebackpacker.com or trailspace.com. And I contribute to the forums that are the friendliest and most helpful.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
    As far as gear reviews, I find that most people post a positive review. Having bought items and allowing a gear review talk me into it, I have found that several things did not live up to what I thought it should or was represented in the review.

For some reason people are afraid or unwilling to give an honest balanced review of something. They will point out the positive things, but then totally miss the negative things about a piece of gear.

I have learned (at a considerable expense $$$) to dismiss most gear reviews. When I post a review I point out the good along with the bad things about an item. I try to make it a review that useful to others, rather then just an endorsement of a product.
    I've written a negative review or two and others have been very critical of them .... so, take em with a grain of salt

The old articles were worth the price of subscription ... but the newer articles don't have the same quality of info that the old ones did.

Images

Not to knock anybody's grocery money, but I think paid subscription style publishing doesn't thrive on the web nearly as well as ad based. None of the $billion web sites use subscriptions.

2005 Camino de santiago

Default Let Mine Lapse

Some of their items are great, like their flint & steel fire starter. I no longer even carry a bic for my alcohol stove. Some of their items are less so. Some articles were worth reading but i decided to keep my second year subscription money in my pocket and just rtead the occasional free ones. Now if subscription was a little cheaper....who knows

Images

Default Save your money

Quote Originally Posted by pakratt View Post
    I love Ryan's book and listen to the podcast. I went on the website tonight with a list of four items to buy with my Christmas bonus check. ALL FOUR ITEMS WERE OUT OF STOCK! I found this interesting since they did an interview awhile back with Molen from Big Sky products and the focus of the interview was customer service issues and back orders. Hello Kettle- meet Pot...

I planned to subscribe -- but if I can't order from their store due to back orders-- I am some what cautious about subscribing to the on-line magazine.

With that said-- I am VERY interested in going to their Treking Course since I am new to the UL scene...
    ...hop on over to sierratradingpost.com, ... campmor.com,...backcountry.com, etc....save the mag money for shipping at these and "other" outfitters on-line who are stocked!
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

The "store" part is silly. A joke, IMO. Seems strange to think of subscribing simply for acces to their store. Well, maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteWhips View Post
    Not to knock anybody's grocery money, but I think paid subscription style publishing doesn't thrive on the web nearly as well as ad based. None of the $billion web sites use subscriptions.

In order for paid subscription publishing on the net to work, you have to offer something people can’t get for free. So I agree (in this case) that there is free alternative ways to get essentially the same info on the net. It makes for a tough sale to ask people to pay for something that Google can find for free.

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    ...hop on over to sierratradingpost.com, ... campmor.com,...backcountry.com, etc....save the mag money for shipping at these and "other" outfitters on-line who are stocked!
    Yeah, I ordered most of the things I needed from AntiGravityGear and Gossamer along with TitaniumGoat. Unfortunately, some of the items I was looking for are only available from BPL.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Yeah, I ordered most of the things I needed from AntiGravityGear and Gossamer along with TitaniumGoat. Unfortunately, some of the items I was looking for are only available from BPL.
    Keep an eye on Mountain Laurel Designs' new products. Seems they've been adding new items to their site once or twice a week. I kind of doubt they will start making anything like the Cocoon insulated clothing, but something similar to that is available from Integral Designs (primaloft pants, jacket and vest) and if you can sew, the kits from Thru-hiker.com will get you the same thing too, but for less money--if you have a sewing machine and some patience that is.

Badges, we don't need no stinkin' badges! Tobit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtygaiters View Post
    Keep an eye on Mountain Laurel Designs' new products.
    Yeah, MLD has some nice stuff these days. I have a shopping list ready for them when my play money replenishes next month.
    John Tobias (aka JT)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++