WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

We actually enjoyed Vermont, more than we thought we would.

The balds of NC are beautiful as well.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    We actually enjoyed Vermont, more than we thought we would.
    Were there specific places you enjoyed or do you refer to the experience overall? I remember reading you were treated quite well there by at least some of its residents.

Head south out of Monson. It'll give you a familiar continuity and it's a beautiful section with a couple of decent 'above the tree-line' experiences. If you choose this section Shaws is a great place to start from in Monson and if you stop at Rangeley, Bob from Gull Pond Lodge is so very good to hikers.
    Enjoy

I started in Monson last fall and parked my car at Shaws. Didn't stay there, decided to get some trail miles in, they gave me a lift to the trail.
    Part of me wants to keep working my way south from Monson in 100+ mile sections, it will only take me 20 years to hike the trail this way...

Anywhere in Maine. I've done from Monson south to the Conn./NY. state line. Also have done Georgia and parts of Shenandoah.

Yes, Maine is my favorite. Pierce Pond is my favorite swimming hole.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Anywhere in Maine. I've done from Monson south to the Conn./NY. state line. Also have done Georgia and parts of Shenandoah.

Yes, Maine is my favorite. Pierce Pond is my favorite swimming hole.
    I think Woodsy lives at Pierce Pond. That's where I met him anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    I think Woodsy lives at Pierce Pond. That's where I met him anyway.
    Not quite, but close enough that sometimes i sleepwalk at night through the shelter area with my flyrodDon't shoot me, i'm harmless.
    That said, Maine's high peaks region ROCKS. Saddleback > Bigelows incorporated into your 100 miles will give you great memories and pics, if you survive it.
    Last edited by woodsy; 12-29-2007 at 13:23.
    WALK ON

I don't maintain 100 miles but just shy of 3, Yellow Spring hollow to Cold Spring trail in "St. Anthony's Wilderness," Pennsylvania. It's just more green tunnel to the thru hiker, but amid subtle but interesting ruins for those with the time and inclination to step away from the white blazes.

Roan Mt to 19E is my favorite so far. A bit more than 10.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Any place in Maine, but Moson to Rangeley or Rangeley to Gorham are both great hikes. I consider the Gorham to Rangeley both the toughest and best 100 miles on the trail. Also, Elk Park 19E to Hot Springs is my second pick for a great section.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Default best AT sections

For scenery and "wilderness experience" (to the extent one can have a wilderness experience on the AT) Maine winds hands down. The 100 mile wilderness is truly spectacular. Too bad so many hikers try to race through it. The Mahoosics are also real nice.. ditto for Rangely to Stratton and the Bigelows.

As runners up.. the White Mountains are spectacular. as are the Tennessee Blads.

I was unimpressed by the mid atlantic states and by Mass.

Also..the Smokey Mountains are a highlight..particularly the view from Clingmans Dome.

But nothin compares to Maine except for the eastern portions of the whites.

DavidNH (Snickers)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    I haven't done Maine and do not doubt it is awesome. But speaking from a "Southern" point of view, I love the Nantahala section in late spring, before it gets too hot. I think many thru-hikers who are well beyond this section by the time the flora bursts out really miss out. The giant furns around Standing Indian, as well as the summit and mountain itself are awesome. Standing Indian, Albert Mtn, Weyah Bald, and Wesser Bald are some of the best views east of the Mississippi.

I'm planning to hike this area next year. What is "prime time" for this area - you say late spring, are we talking mid-may?
    It's a great day to be alive !

Images

In the southern half of the AT, it would be the Grayson Highlands.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    that ain't a pretty section
    And that ain't nice. Besides, pretty is in the eye of the behind, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by dessertrat View Post
    And that ain't nice. Besides, pretty is in the eye of the behind, or something like that.
    it ain't a nice section is right

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Glencliff to Gorham is 101 miles. And it's about the 101 most spectacular miles you could imagine east of the Rockies--the long stretch above treeline in the Presidentials is better than anything in Maine, and there are a million other amazing spots through the Whites. 10 days to do that section would be no problem if you're in shape, and you can get food at all the huts, which will lighten your load.

Maine is nice, but New Hampshire is better.

Quote Originally Posted by burger View Post
    Maine is nice, but New Hampshire is better.
    Them's fightin' words! I suppose I might agree if one could make the AMC and the day hikers disappear. I presume you've hiked the AT in Maine?

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Them's fightin' words! I suppose I might agree if one could make the AMC and the day hikers disappear. I presume you've hiked the AT in Maine?
    If we got rid of the day hikers, I guess that means we all have to go play somewhere else. All thru-hikers and multi-day hikers started off as day hikers. Well, I guess it will be somebody that woke up at 18 who never walked out of the yard and decided to go buy their hiking gear and do a thru hike and then return to the yard.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Up to the Kennebec river crossing according to the line under his screen name.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post
    If we got rid of the day hikers, I guess that means we all have to go play somewhere else. All thru-hikers and multi-day hikers started off as day hikers. Well, I guess it will be somebody that woke up at 18 who never walked out of the yard and decided to go buy their hiking gear and do a thru hike and then return to the yard.
    I wasn't seriously suggesting that. Just saying... the thing that makes Maine different (and IMO, better) than NH are... the lack of crowds and the AMC. That's all. (And yes, I'm aware that AMC manages Speck Pond campsite.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++