WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

where did this wolf occurance happen ? and what is the story ? I can't download it on my puter.....

Elmendorf, AK. These are apparently the wives of military men. Or military themselves.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I hear you Mow.. We chose to live in these wild places so we must be sensitive to the animals that share that space with us. I snow shoe just about every day out there. I see wolf tracks and the hairs stand up on my neck. have 4 dogs.. They are obviously free when we hike. it is the chance i take. This winter, when I get back.. I am not so sure what I will do. I have seen 1 wolf in the 15 yrs i have been spending time there. it was from a car and it literally took my breath away. WOW. But, yikes...You can't day dream while you hike up there. In the summer my eyes and ears strain for the grizzly. I see tracks that i can put my foot in no problem. No, I don't carry a gun. I never have. I may be stupid too... no question about it. I have logged 1000s of miles in the states and alot in AK with no problem. But, there is always a first time. Maybe i should carry a gun. We are in the sticks in washington state now.. way up at the border of BC and there are mnt lions. I hear that I should carry a gun here too. But, i do know that it is more likely to get hurt by a moose in ak then a wolf.. and it is more likely to get bit by a dog here then attacked by a cougar. All the same, I must say I am a little spooked to go out again in AK this winter without a form of protection. it is so pretty up there.. I mean mindbending kinda beauty that is can lull you towards bliss. But, I never EVER forget where I am...but I don't know....maybe I have just been lucky.

Ohh... thanks. I will check out the story on the puter now...

Quote Originally Posted by yappy View Post
    I hear you Mow.. We chose to live in these wild places so we must be sensitive to the animals that share that space with us. I snow shoe just about every day out there. I see wolf tracks and the hairs stand up on my neck. have 4 dogs.. They are obviously free when we hike. it is the chance i take. This winter, when I get back.. I am not so sure what I will do. I have seen 1 wolf in the 15 yrs i have been spending time there. it was from a car and it literally took my breath away. WOW. But, yikes...You can't day dream while you hike up there. In the summer my eyes and ears strain for the grizzly. I see tracks that i can put my foot in no problem. No, I don't carry a gun. I never have. I may be stupid too... no question about it. I have logged 1000s of miles in the states and alot in AK with no problem. But, there is always a first time. Maybe i should carry a gun. We are in the sticks in washington state now.. way up at the border of BC and there are mnt lions. I hear that I should carry a gun here too. But, i do know that it is more likely to get hurt by a moose in ak then a wolf.. and it is more likely to get bit by a dog here then attacked by a cougar. All the same, I must say I am a little spooked to go out again in AK this winter without a form of protection. it is so pretty up there.. I mean mindbending kinda beauty that is can lull you towards bliss. But, I never EVER forget where I am...but I don't know....maybe I have just been lucky.
    I would be packing heat in AK if I were you if for no other reason so that
    people could not say you were stupid and could otherwise be alive if only
    you had had the foresight to be prepared.(like all the rest of them)
    But it's your life and it's your choice.
    Oldfivetango
    Keep on keeping on.

Just returned from Alaska, did quite a few trails. This is the one thing that I didn't like-I always had to be extremely aware of my surroundings, always had to make noise. I am the type that likes the outdoors for the solitude and don't like to HAVE to make noise to stay safe and certainly don't want to have to carry a gun. But if you live there and/or hike there you have to be aware of the dangers and do what you think is appropriate to keep you and your animlas safe. It was a whole different experience than hiking most of the trails in the eastern half of the country, or the lowere 48 for that matter.

Yappy, I have not hiked much in Brown Bear country, so I can't speak to how I'd feel hiking long distances with Mr. Grizz around. I hope to find out some day. The fact remains that Wolves are dangerous to pets, but I'm sure we would have heard if people had been attacked by them. The 24 hour news cycle can be great, but it has skeered a lot of folks unnecessarily.

a lot of hype to this story. stay out of the woods with your dogs. otherwise carry a gun and kill whatever comes after fido. simple

i agree sonic. it is very different from the states . I know that most folks up there don't carry a gun if they are out for a day but alot do carry bear spray. I have as well. I have seen alot of bears up there... actually shouldn't say that. i have seen some. Only 1 grizz and that was from a car. Lots of sign though and 1 encounter but only heard him chuffing. Which was very VERY scary... he never came outta the bushes though..anyhow, I may have to change how i do things when i get home. A shot in the air often works.. I don't want to wish I had done that .

lol... it IS simple lw...you are right.

Smoky Mountain Steve sent me a book about running sled dogs. The musher (or whatever they are called) awoke one night to find wild wolves bedded down among his sled dogs. Domestic dogs and wolves share the same genus (Canis). They are kin. But I suppose when a wolf gets hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by Greentick18d View Post
    I suppose you would pet the nice doggies? Or do you just run faster than your jogging partner... I've only been there once but AK is pretty much indian country IMO.
    Interesting turn of phrase there... "indian country." Meaning, I suppose, that it's OK to shoot at anyone or anything that frightens or inconveniences you? That some life forms are worth more than others, and can be extinguished without thought or remorse?

Oh, and O5T, I loved the "kumbaya" reference, right on cue. Guns Are Great! It's not the travel channel you watch too much of... but Fox News, it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Interesting turn of phrase there... "indian country." Meaning, I suppose, that it's OK to shoot at anyone or anything that frightens or inconveniences you? That some life forms are worth more than others, and can be extinguished without thought or remorse?

Oh, and O5T, I loved the "kumbaya" reference, right on cue. Guns Are Great! It's not the travel channel you watch too much of... but Fox News, it seems.
    lighten up mr. PC

... but Fox News, it seems.
    i watch FOX news daily. great source. fair and balanced for sure. i love how you whacky lefties slam it but never watch it

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    i watch FOX news daily.
    I don't doubt that for a moment, wolfie. It shows.

I think it's a fair question to ask. If you bring a domestic dog into a wolves habitat, should you be able to kill a wolf for seeking out your dog as prey? If your dog get eaten by a Lobo, isn't that just the natural way? Why not leave the pooch home? I bet a lot of folks bring their dog for protection, with the knowledge that the dog will be the first to go. You hear lots of folks saying that they shouldn't bring fido on the AT. But maybe they meant to say AK. Not AT.

Saw a cool special on Glacier NP last night on my mother's high definition TV (that's a first!). They have these bear dogs that run off Mr. Griz from areas that they can come into conflict with humans. The dogs are from Finland. I forget the breed. Dang! That Glacier NP is some kind of pretty! That's definitely moved up to the short list for hiking!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

I don't doubt that for a moment, wolfie. It shows.
    it shows i'm much brighter than you. a little less pipe time will do you good

Images

Default wolves surround female joggers

That is scary, but for the sake of the women and Buddy,(brave dog!) I'm glad it turned out okay. I think the incident occured near the Army post, this is the link I found:
    http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/245094.html

I have a girlfriend that lives near Elmendorf and I'm going to email her today for more info. She's a runner, too. I'd definitely stick to running the treadmill indoors up there.

Please keep the politics in the political threads
    Last edited by MOWGLI; 12-24-2007 at 10:39. Reason: Deleted political talk

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16 View Post
    I think it's a fair question to ask. If you bring a domestic dog into a wolves habitat, should you be able to kill a wolf for seeking out your dog as prey? If your dog get eaten by a Lobo, isn't that just the natural way?

Saw a cool special on Glacier NP last night on my mother's high definition TV (that's a first!). They have these bear dogs that run off Mr. Griz from areas that they can come into conflict with humans. The dogs are from Finland. I forget the breed. Dang! That Glacier NP is some kind of pretty! That's definitely moved up to the short list for hiking!
    Yeah, why is it that whenever it's our own dog, we aren't so inclined to let nature have its way?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++