WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sages Ravine Campsite

Just wanted to start a thread about Sages Ravine. We stayed there 11/17/07 had a gorgeous night although chilly. Read that there was a bear that frequented the area so made sure to be very fastidous. We didn't have any problem! Tons of GORGEOUS ice formation! and lots of bird life. I got to see some fantastic downy woodpeckers in action!

There's a nice bear box at SR, up the hill little from the camping 'platforms'.
    ad astra per aspera

There are actually 2 bear boxes. One not far from the new privy and the other is in the group site.

Where is Sage Rivene?

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
    Where is Sage Rivene?
    Sages Ravine is on the AT in Connecticut

There are actually 2 bear boxes. One not far from the new privy and the other is in the group site.
    You are correct! My error
    ad astra per aspera

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    Sages Ravine is on the AT in Connecticut
    Really? Hmm, I guess continental drift must be moving it to the south, because when I hiked through there, it was in MA (though you'd never know since the MA/CT border sign was practically invisible).

And, yeah, it's a really pretty spot. I wish I hadn't been so exhausted when I got there and then raced out of there so quickly the next morning.

*smile* I hike in this area all the time. Sages ravine winds down the MA/CT state line. The actual designated camp area is in CT though. not to far in though!!

Its a gorgeous, if well used, area.

some folks are so friggin anal

The state-line signage at Sages is confusing. I couldn't tell whether the ravine itself was in CT or MA -- the MA/CT sign I saw (on the trail) was north of the ravine, just before the ascent up Race Mtn. But the map I was carrying (the ATC map) seemed to show the state line south of the ravine.

Whatever -- the ravine is beautiful. It was wicked hot the day I went thru, but the trail by the ravine was cooool and shady. Wish I'd stayed longer. I ended up quitting that section hike the following day 'cuz it was too damned hot to hike.

PS: if you look at the Google terrain map of Sages, it appears that the ravine actually runs right along the state line. And as you walk it "NOBO", you're traveling in a east-southeasterly direction.

smile* I hike in this area all the time. Sages ravine winds down the MA/CT state line. The actual designated camp area is in CT though. not to far in though!!

Its a gorgeous, if well used, area.
    Thanks Wysteria, I think you meant to respond to LWolf. You're right though about it's location, and it sure is a beautiful hike through there - I always try to camp there when I'm through that way, even on a weekend out
    ad astra per aspera

Images

While Sages Ravine Campsite is geographically in MA, it is administratively in the grips of the CT-AMC.

The Campsite is about 500 trail-meters north of the CT/MA border and about 400 meters north of the intersection of the AT and the Paradise Lane Trail.

The signage at Sages Ravine Campsite is identical to that at other CT-AMC sites and shelters on the AT.

As in other camping areas run by the CT-AMC, signs remind users that camp fires are prohibited. This is a moot point since the main reason CT-AMC gives for the rule against camp fires is that they violate CT law. However, while being run by the CT-AMC, the camp site is located in MA.

The large, well-established stone fire circles at most of the individual tenting sites and platforms would lead you to believe that the CT-AMC's rule against fires is "More honour'd in the breach than the observance."

I hiked through Sages Ravine on the last day of a SOBO section hike of the southern half of Massachusetts starting at Lee. I thought it was beautiful and vowed to return and camp in it some day. I could envision camping there and getting up early to watch the sunrise on Race Mountain.

My hike was in mid-April with warm temperatures and beating sun since it was to early for foliage. The paradox was there I was in Sages Raving in short-sleeves and shorts in 80 degree temps but the trail up the north side of Bear Mountain had blocks of solid ice in places.

Images

Just hiked Sages, Bear Mt., Paradise Lane last week. No ice this April. The leaves are 2-3 weeks ahead of time, apples are nearing full bloom. The north side of Bear Mt. was dry, the normally wet spot at the base of Bear (north side) - bone dry. Yesterday I was on Mt. Greylock and I cannot believe how dry the trails are up on MT. Prospect/Money Brook, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by XCskiNYC View Post

The large, well-established stone fire circles at most of the individual tenting sites and platforms would lead you to believe that the CT-AMC's rule against fires is "More honour'd in the breach than the observance."
    B.S. I'd like to see any well established fire rings at any of the CT-AMC sites when the ridgerunners are on patrol.
    -milkman

got soul?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblisters View Post
    B.S. I'd like to see any well established fire rings at any of the CT-AMC sites when the ridgerunners are on patrol.
    and they don't exist at sages, for sure

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyblisters View Post
    They'd be there but they were busy hitting the parade in Greenwich Village.

I hit Sages Ravine campsite while I was in the area on a day hike to Bear Mountain a couple of weeks ago. Had lunch on the care-takers platform. As I understand it, there is a fee to camp in the "in season". Does anyone know anything about that?

I don't believe there is a fee. Sages is a first come/first served site. There is a Ridgerunner stationed there but the last one I spoke to said there was no fee. Some web sites allude to a fee, none of them list a specific cost as they do other campsites that are fee based. My guess is, if there is a fee, its on specific holiday weekends in summer when use is extremely high.

Images

I have had several groups up at Sages in the past few years (including over high-traffic weekend summer dates) and although we always check in with the ridgerunner, and I've taken a check along just in case, I think the info about a fee is now outdated. I have specifically inquired and they never seem to know anything about it!

Jane

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++