WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Which Guidebooks?

What are the latest opinions on which guidebook(s) to take on a thru-hike? The last poll that I found on the subject was in 2005 and talked about improvements to the upcomming Companion, which now seems pretty comprehensive. Does anyone really take or need the section guides?

I'd take the thru-hikers handbook which can be ordered at trailplace.com. Its the original and and still the best.

As far as the atc state guidebooks go, most hikers do not take them. You don't need them to hike the trail. However, I'd get them for the following reasons:

1. You need to take the maps. The annual atc sale is ongoing - it ends real soon - and you basically get the guidebooks and maps now for just a tad more than what you would spend for the maps alone. So its like getting them free.

2. 20 years after my thru, I still use the guidebooks for information on how to best access the trail via highways and forest service roads when planning trips north of standing indian.

3. I carried the guidebooks on my thru and looked at them every day. I got a daily mini history lesson of the area I was hiking in which made it worthwhile for me.

Haven't seen it yet, other than examples on their website, but I'm excited about Appalachian Pages.

The ALDHA guide works for me. Especially since it's free, and a PDF. I can print out exactly the part(s) I need -- saves paper and weight. I've yet to find any inaccuracies that mattered.

Images

Default Bob McCaw

This looks like a good spot to plug the Thru-hiker's Handbook (available at www.trailplace.com and many booksellers), so I will.

Here are its advantages, IMO:

It's concise. There isn't a lot of useless information, but it covers what you need to know.

It's up-to-date. I personally visited every trail town this past October, even the obscure ones. Places that were out of business have been taken out of the book. The book includes a number of new services.

It's easy to use. It's in the same format that Wingfoot has used the last few years, and the maps have been updated.

I don't claim to be unbiased.

(FWIW, LW's price comparison is misleading as shipping is included in the price of the Handbook.)

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    The ALDHA guide works for me. Especially since it's free, and a PDF. I can print out exactly the part(s) I need -- saves paper and weight. I've yet to find any inaccuracies that mattered.
    How can I get the same matireals please.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
    How can I get the same matireals please.
    Click on the various parts needed on this page: ALDHA COMPANION

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCaw View Post
    This looks like a good spot to plug the Thru-hiker's Handbook (available at www.trailplace.com and many booksellers), so I will.

Here are its advantages, IMO:

It's concise. There isn't a lot of useless information, but it covers what you need to know.

It's up-to-date. I personally visited every trail town this past October, even the obscure ones. Places that were out of business have been taken out of the book. The book includes a number of new services.

It's easy to use. It's in the same format that Wingfoot has used the last few years, and the maps have been updated.

I don't claim to be unbiased.

(FWIW, LW's price comparison is misleading as shipping is included in the price of the Handbook.)
    Bob, have you thought about putting up some example pages? Not the whole thing, but just a section of the book so people can see the lay out.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dinosaurs View Post
    Click on the various parts needed on this page: ALDHA COMPANION
    This is what I am using lately. I pay for the book (just to be honest) and then carry some sections printed - and the rest is stored in PDF format in my smartphone. I think someday most trail guides will have to have a digital option to stay competitive.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by Bob McCaw View Post

Handbook- $23.50 shipped
    App. Pages- $19.45 shipped
    Companion- $16.20 shipped

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

The physical design of the Companion is quite annoying, I am preferential to the Handbook because it physically feels like an actual book, as opposed to the Companion that has the long and fat layout.

Just my two cents,
    Kirby

Kirby:

This is not the first time you've expressed your displeasure over the format of the Companion.

Many people, Kirby, photocopy sections of their guidebooks and only carry what they need, i.e. you don't need the Connecticut information when you're in North Carolina, etc.

You'll discover that the format, size, or shape of a book becomes insignificant when you're only carrying seven or eight pages of it at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    The physical design of the Companion is quite annoying, I am preferential to the Handbook because it physically feels like an actual book, as opposed to the Companion that has the long and fat layout.
    Well, here's another take on it.... it has about the same dimensions as the ATC maps. So if you take it apart -- and ration off the pages along with the corresponding map sections -- it fits in the same bag as the maps and adds almost no thickness. Eg. 150 miles worth of maps typically equals maybe 10-15 pages of the guide. Which is all you need for one mail drop.

Just like it's silly to carry the whole map set from GA to ME, it's silly to carry the whole Companion.

Who needs a guidebook? I just ask Jack. Or, if he's unavailable, someone at the shelter has one, you can just look at theirs. Hey, what's the status of the online wiki-guidebook thing? I don't even remember how to find it...?

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

I prefer the layout of the Thru-Hiker Handbook over the Companion as well. I find it much easier to use. Not sure how easy the AT Pages are going to be to use - they may be even easier.

That said, historically the Companion has been more accurate than the Handbook, but it seems the new owner has made a genuine effort to rectify that. The AT Pages are new so they don't have a history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by _terrapin_ View Post
    Just like it's silly to carry the whole map set from GA to ME, it's silly to carry the whole Companion.
    I liked having one item with me that covered the whole Trail for forwarding planning purposes. I also used the book as my basic hike record, noting where I stopped each night. It's a great souvenir.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

From what I have seen ATTroll write, the Appalachian Pages book will have pages that can be easily removed, even if you purchase the bound copy, Troll can clarify this if he comes across this post.

I plan on carrying the whole book, which ever one I end up with, to start, and plan to send pages home as they are no longer needed. I am going to mark up the book(IE:highlight where I stay), which is why I am keeping the pages I send home.

Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post

Just my two cents,
    Kirby
    Actually the size is perfect because you can fold a page in half, put it in a freezer bag, and stick it in your back pocket so it's handy but protected from moisture--rain or sweat.

Images

Default Sample pages from the Thru-Hier's Handbook

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Bob, have you thought about putting up some example pages? Not the whole thing, but just a section of the book so people can see the lay out.
    Excellent idea, Rock. Click this link for sample pages from the Thru-hiker's Handbook: www.trailplace.com/Sample_pages.pdf

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++