WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    "We've come on holiday by mistake" - Withnail

Default They better bite me

To all, hiya!

To Dessert Rat - I just bought my insurance for this trip, and the shock to my system has left me knowing that if it looks likely that I'm not going to use even half of my $10 million medical cover, then the bears and snakes will be pursued relentlessly throught he 100mile wilderness, crashing through the forest with cries of "Come on you bastards, lets be having you." I hate wasting money - I mean I hate wasting my money.

To Xanadu - The best bit of hiking is putting all your kit up in your bedroom and then watching telly whilst drinking and dreaming of the great outdoors.

To all - no idea how to keep a journal, give us a clue.

To all - very serious about someone checking the tent at hiker hostel!

Images

You could call Josh or Leigh, the proprieters of Hiker Hostel. I'm sure they'd be happy to help with the tent issue.

You can keep an online journal through www.trailjournals.com

There are plenty of computers to access along the trail towns.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Quote Originally Posted by jogle View Post
    To all, hiya!

To Dessert Rat - I just bought my insurance for this trip, and the shock to my system has left me knowing that if it looks likely that I'm not going to use even half of my $10 million medical cover, then the bears and snakes will be pursued relentlessly throught he 100mile wilderness, crashing through the forest with cries of "Come on you bastards, lets be having you." I hate wasting money - I mean I hate wasting my money.

To Xanadu - The best bit of hiking is putting all your kit up in your bedroom and then watching telly whilst drinking and dreaming of the great outdoors.

To all - no idea how to keep a journal, give us a clue.

To all - very serious about someone checking the tent at hiker hostel!
    Well, of course you need private travel insurance if you're a Brit traveling in the United States. . . otherwise, a visit to the emergency room here would bankrupt you, and we'd export you to the debtor's colony in Australia.

The hundred mile wilderness is the worst place for catching bears. They still hunt bears in Maine, so the bears there are very shy and tend to run at first scent of you. Or maybe it's the fact that you are near the end of your hike and look wilder and smell wilder? The Smokies and Shenandoah are more likely to yield a "friendly" bear. Don't feed him, not even if he dances for you. Also, chasing snakes through Maine is a losing proposition-- there are no poisonous snakes in Maine. Maybe you should start in the North, and chase bears and snakes in the Smokies?

Remember that rattlesnakes and copperheads like warmer weather. You are more likely to see them from Virginia to Penn., but might see them anywhere from GA to MA. It is rare to see a poisonous snake in New Hampshire, and they don't exist in Maine. Any snake you see in Maine will not be poisonous. Don't be paranoid about snakes, just don't be careless. Watch where you step and where you put your hands.

You seem to have a good sense of humor, which is ingredient number one for a successful long distance hiker. Combined with the fact that you've already done some long distance hiking, and that's a good recipe for success. Some day in August or September, you are going to be standing on Katahdin at the end of a great trip over terrain and scenery not to be found anywhere else in the world.

If you're not keeping a journal on trailjournals.com, then I hope you will pop in here when you're able and give us an update.

Default The Essentials

Quote Originally Posted by Lilred View Post
    There are plenty of computers to access along the trail towns.
    This has revolutionised my thinking on what to pack, as a friend living abroad had previously brought to my attention this amazing gadget. If enough people get together they will manufacture in titanium!

I believe this could replace most of the weight in my pack.

Sorry only have european link, but its self explanatory so you Yanks can ignore the German dialogue.

http://www.mensup.fr/usbwine/usbwine.swf

Thanks LilRed, I'm considering trail journals.

Quote Originally Posted by jogle View Post
    Sorry only have european link, but its self explanatory so you Yanks can ignore the German dialogue.
    Sorry, but that language is French! They have better red wine, anyway.

Images

Let's see, if Jogle is starting 3/28/08 we don't have to start getting the New York welcome ready until................................

Happy hiking, maybe my wife and I will run into you while we're out doing our annual summer section hike. We'll be mostly in the state of Vermont sometime during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by GGS2 View Post
    Sorry, but that language is French! They have better red wine, anyway.
    Selon vous!!

Default Tomorrow

19 days ago I sat in this Atlanta hotel after flying from UK and found out that I had to fly back to England immediately for a critically ill family member. After much agonising I'm back and in poor shape, but I will be on Springer tomorrow I think. I need someone to carry my pack?

Images

Sorry to say, but it is way too late for you. Any help you may have gotten you needed to get BEFORE that first long hike. Now, well my granny used to say: "It's like closin the barn door AFTER the cows escaped!"

So any time you feel like you want to quit

Just

Say

MOO.

Curse you Perry the Platypus!

One Small Section at a Time Frau's Avatar
    Images

Default Hope to see you,

Jogle, when you pass through our neck of the woods--that being Dragon's Tooth north to The Priest. If we see you hitching from Snowden to Glasgow, we will give you a lift!

Frau and Nessmuk

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

This is what whiteblaze is all about. Thanks for the laugh guys!
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Mystery Ranch of Bozeman, Mt makes a great pack they are a bit exspensive, but trully a great pack to carry. I have been carrying 70 lbs & it is so comfortable that
    sometime I don't take it off all day!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++