WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bill to protect Appalachian Trail in Pa. approved in House - Pocono Record

Bill to protect Appalachian Trail in Pa. approved in House
    Pocono Record, PA - 1 hour ago
    Bob Freeman’s legislation that would require municipalities that border the Appalachian Trail to adopt, implement and enforce zoning ordinances as part of ...

More...

Excellent. Maybe some others states will also adopt the same type legislation. Kudos to Rep. Bob Freeman

Note they said "approved in House", it still has to get through the PA Senate and signed by the Governor.

Note also the PA Capitol Complex is heated by steam supplied in part by a municipal incinerator - literally, garbage fueled hot air.

Images

What is the status of the Alpine Rose A.C. ?

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Thumbs up New resort in the Pocono mtns.

Here check it out yourself...... http://www.alpinesignature.com/ it's coming soon.

I live in Eldred township, the entrance to Alpine Rose is about a mile away, my kid might get a job there someday.

There is already a ski area just a few miles away, and a sand mining operation, all within sight and hearing distance of the AT, ..................welcome to the Pocono's!

Images

Default Related item

I saw in my local newspaper today more agricultural easements have been approved for Berks County, some in A.T. townships. This amounts to supplemental protection for the A.T. and will benefit the A.T. long-term in the form of additional viewshed protection.

Next time you see someone who pays taxes in Berks County or has voluntarily chosen to keep farming a viable option in Pennsylvania, be sure to thank them.

I'll be back later to post details.
    Last edited by emerald; 12-14-2007 at 17:53.

Registered User Frolicking Dinosaurs's Avatar
    Images

Sweet...

Images

If they pass this, the next step will be to actually enforce it. Lets see how it goes before we get too happy.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Could they make it any closer...

Yes, I can see why there is a public outcry as this really does back up to the trail. Google Earth shows the location as a wooded area on Mountain Rd as the trail crosses Smith Gap, just north of Blue mountain Ski Resort. The Race course appears to be built below the ridge line. Open Google Earth and use the bottom viewing pointer for Lat / Long 40 50' 23.5" N and 75 24' 56.2" W in the same picture the trees are coming down to thin pencil line along the length the trail. You are right,I see quarrys, brownfields, a superfund site and other fine attractions of the poconos, all too close to the trail. Six miles south of Blue Mountain is Horsehead Corp Superfund site. Look at all the logging roads parrellel to the trail all the way up the side! Bet that makes a nice view while hiking.

I can forsee SGT Rock putting up his tarp tent just off trail only to be woken up the next morning by the sounds of speeding Farrarri's!

++ New Posts ++