WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Should trailhounds be allowed on the AT when applicable?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trailhounds

Images

Default Trailhounds

Should trailhounds (dogs) be allowed on the AT where applicable?

Images

as long as they are well behaved dogs and kept on a leash and poop off the trail i would love to see lots of dogs.

Registered Troll
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcat2
    Should trailhounds (dogs) be allowed on the AT?
    NO! Dogs don't belong on the AT or any hiking trail. There's sort of a regression that takes place w/ dog and owner when in the wild. My last encounter was hiking to a hotspring when a couple allowed their dog to intimidate me at a trail junction just to prove a point. These jerks were also camping "next" to the hotspring.

I got my revenge by hiking out the next day, opening their car, taking a dump on the drivers seat and pissing on the passenger seat. I wanted to make their experience as nice as mine. I actually have a friend who shot and killed two charging dobermans at a state park. The owners were pissed but had no recourse; he only got a $50 fine for shooting a gun at the park

There's already one long thread on this topic. Dogs are a hot button topic with no right answer. Why prolong the discussion?

Journal Entries
    Images

Default dogs on trails

i guess i fall into...."dont care one way or the other" category...but IF you do carry your dawg onto the trail.....respect the rights of other hikers....keep Fido on a leash @ ALL times...& never let FIDO poop on the trail...

to WillK:

if you have an incident like this in the future...report to proper authorities....the dog was a menace to your personal safety just as any "bad guy" would be.....BUT, i'd refrain from damaging personal property though!

REPORT IT to local authorities!

see ya'll UP the trail!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

GAME 2000
    Images

I love animals, but on each of my last two outings I had large, aggressive dogs charge me... both times their owners were yelling at ME "to not worry" and not making any attempt to control their aggressive dogs. This tells me that these were not isolated incidents with these owners/dogs because they knew that they could not control their dogs and they just hoped no one would be injured(?). I was scared at the time and have gotten 'very angry' about the incidents as time has passed. I believe that the young man involved in the second incident may actual enjoy it when his aggressive dog threatens someone? I knew to hold my ground, make my hiking poles visible, not make aggressive jesters and not to run... I shutter to think what might have happened if less experienced people ran into this situation, especially children. (I had passed two young teenagers only minutes earlier in one instance.)

People, don't take aggressive dogs on the trail! Even on a leash. No one knows for sure what an aggressive dog is going to do in any particular situation and don't expect people to be 'forgiving and understanding' after they have been subjected to the very real threat of an aggressive dog. Having an aggressive dog on the trail is not a good way to make new friends and I wouldn't think it would be a good way to enjoy the outdoors. And, the rest of us don't go outdoors to be attacked by your aggressive dog... we don't view it as the 'interesting entertainment' that some of the dog owners must.

Youngblood

The more dogs the merrier! I like dogs more than people anyway.
    Focus Determines Reality

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Drinkuth
    The more dogs the merrier! I like dogs more than people anyway.
    You didn't have to say that, it was very clear.

Just Passin' Thru.... Kozmic Zian's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    You didn't have to say that, it was very clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Kozmic Zian
    Is anybody tired of this one yet? No, dogs have a hard time on the trail, unless only for a short time, weekend, few days. Mainly they, are't trained to carry their own food, be around a lot of people walking in the woods, their feet and pads get sliced to pieces on the quartz in the rock, like your boots do. How do they react if a crowd or horses(Smokys)comes around. What about a possum or any critters, do they bolt after deer? Do they need special care? Can you supply them and yourself? Its alot to think about. Some people can do all these things and more, and successfully bring a dog up there. But, 99percent of the time, something or somebody has issues with the dog. It can cause alot of problems....The answer: Leave the Dogs at Home.

P.s. I love animals and own a Bijon Freize...have had the priveledge of having many animals in my life, but do your dog a favor....leave um home.
    KZ________________________________________________ ______________

Keep Your Face To The Sunlight, And You Will Not See The Shadows....anonymous
    Kozmic Zian@ :cool: ' My father considered a walk in the woods as equivalent to churchgoing'. ALDOUS HUXLEY

I have two trailhounds. When they hike with me those dogs are on a LEASH! At night they sleep, NO BARKING ! We need a good nights sleep for the next
    day. Basically, if you are going to take a dog on any trail you should have done one major thing and that is TRAIN your dog to be a trailhound. There are books on this subject that can help. Always be in CONTROL of your dog. The main reason is SAFETY!! If your dog is under control other hikers won't feel threatened. If your dog is under control the dog is safe, you are safe, wildlife is safe. DOGS SHOULD ALWAYS BE ON A LEASH and be with you. Treat a dog as a hiker. Clean up after your dog too. Hiking with a dog can be great fun and exercise and a super adventure. BUT remember to RESPECT the other hikers you share the trail with along with mother nature and the wildlife. If your dog is not TRAINED then leave your dog at home !!!

Default dogs on trail

i have more issues with bad owners vs. bad dogs. such as, folks who use those super long leashes so their dog can be way out infront of them. these people are not in control of their dog. i don't mind a dog on the trail, as long as it does not interfer with me enjoying my hike. meaning, when approached, i want the owner between me and the dog. i am allergic, and don't have the luxury of washing my hands immediately after pushing someone's dog away from me. d

Default Dogone-it!

[QUOTE=denise]i have more issues with bad owners vs. bad dogs. such as, folks who use those super long leashes so their dog can be way out infront of them. these people are not in control of their dog. i don't mind a dog on the trail, as long as it does not interfer with me enjoying my hike. meaning, when approached, i want the owner between me and the dog. i am allergic, and don't have the luxury of washing my hands immediately after pushing someone's dog away from me. d[/QUOT

Yup,as a doglover who also is somewhat allergic i am in agreenment here.
    Looks to me that the line has to be drawn somewhere on the pet issue.
    We have taken the "killer peanuts" off the airplanes and in all honesty the
    pets just don't belong out there.I LOVE my dog-even wrote a song entitled-
    Love Me-Love My Dog-but everyone does not think your pet is the cutest little canine on the planet(mine is however ;-)
    It's totally inconsiderate to bring a pet on the trail IMHO because they will
    invariably irritate or intimidate others which is just not proper behavior.Sort
    of like lighting up in a shelter-or pharting in an elevator-just plain rude and inconsiderate behavior.
    Cheers to all,
    Oldfivetango

Default hmm....

The way I see it...if people are responsible with and FOR their dogs, I have no problem with them being there. I have come across several agressive dogs...a few pits, rotties and dobes....but the only encounter that ever had me worried was when an ethnic day hiking couple had let their boxer charge me on a bridge at Delaware Water Gap (NJ)...the owner yelled "just freeze"....and the dog went for a swim with some encouragement from my left boot.

As for the "story" about that Steve Hiker guy dumping in a car..I'm sure this was typed for effect and shock value. As such, I doubt the validity of it...but if it's true, commit yourself to the nearest mental institution. Psycho's like you and your shooter friend should remain in the backwoods of Kentucky. Certainly you should not be roaming streets, trails or other public venues.

Two weeks ago, I saw a thru-hiker get harrassed by a park ranger at Pen-Mar park in Maryland because he was walking the husky into the park. Mr. ranger told him to "keep that dog out at the trail" even though there were families at the various picnic groves that had dogs running loose. I did conjur a conversation with the ranger shortly after that. Perhaps this was the ranger's way of saying he didn't approve of the hiker's trail beaten appearance, but none the less, I made him aware that it was just wrong.

On another note, we met up with an elderly (72y/o) woman hiking NoBo with a standard poodle a few years ago. She was pretty cool...trail name was MG. Her dog alerted us to 3 bear wandering around the Mashipicong shelter (NJ - Stokes region) in the early morning hours. That dog was great, and very well behaved...as are so many others.

I guess like anything, a few bad examples stick in the minds of people and force their opinions to a more negative thought.
    oh...and just in case....I carry a large knife
    ...just a regular guy
    Stomping around in the woods allows me to lose the stresses of everyday life while finding myself

http://www.summitpost.org/show/mount...untain_id/5055

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NJHiker
    As for the "story" about that Steve Hiker guy dumping in a car..I'm sure this was typed for effect and shock value. As such, I doubt the validity of it...but if it's true, commit yourself to the nearest mental institution. Psycho's like you and your shooter friend should remain in the backwoods of Kentucky. Certainly you should not be roaming streets, trails or other public venues.
    Editor's note. The "Steve guy" had another name (well a few others) that he would use to post things like this. His accouts were merged a few months back. Just a troll trying to stir the ****.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

The issue about dogs on the trail, and in shelters, has been beaten to death. I personally wish the owners would respect non-dog hikers and the general population of wildlife along the AT and leave their animals at home.

Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

Default An insignificant drop into the mess of things.

I have only had one experience of a dog and it's owner along the trail while doing a SOBO section hike of the 100-mile wilderness. The dog was a friendly beast, mainly due to it being a golden retriever. It says much about the owner, b/c the dog would not come up to you like most domesticated pets, but rather acted like any good natured person you meet along the trail. I enjoyed the experience, but I can definitely understand bad experiences with poorly trained, poor mannered pooches.
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

Images

No problem w/ dogs here (as you can probably tell by my trail name), as long as they're not a nuisance. I usually enjoy seeing a dog on the trail. Most are friendly & allow me to pet them (w/ owners permission). Any friendly dog reminds me of my dawgs back home (2 yellow labs). It's like a slice of home passin by on the trail. Warms my heart!

Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg
    No problem w/ dogs here (as you can probably tell by my trail name), as long as they're not a nuisance. I usually enjoy seeing a dog on the trail. Most are friendly & allow me to pet them (w/ owners permission).
    Big Dawg,

I'm with you! Dogs can be enjoyable ("as long as they're not a nuisance"). I've met many nice dogs on trails, and have stayed in shelters with them on occasion (got a pic of one in my Member Gallery). Have two dogs myself, though I don't take them hiking on the AT.

The only problems I have is with the extremely self-serving and arrogant attitude of some dog owners who don't control their dogs on the trail (e.g., let them run loose on or near the trail). I have read many hiking books and right now can't think of a single one that doesn't have a problem story about dogs. Just read one by Dorothy Laker, who got a nasty dog bite on her first thru-hike. I believe the only "dog problem" is really an owner problem.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man
    I believe the only "dog problem" is really an owner problem.

RainMan

I completely agree.

My 2 dogs are couch taters, one is 10 yrs old w/ some arthritis, & the other is 5 yrs old w/ a bumb knee. The older one hiked w/ me years ago, but was always leashed, & cared for properly on the trail, & always respected other hikers.

Arrow Dogs and Long Distance Hiking

You have to realize that taking a dog on a long distance hike shortens that dog's life. Dogs are not physically equipped to hike day after day. They don't have the body fat to spare. Day after day of hiking puts a lot of stress on animals, both physically and mentally.

Take them for a week, maybe two, and then let them have a month or so to recuperate at home. If your dog cares for you, he/she won't complain but will walk him/herself to death for you.

Not EVERY dog will show immediate signs of 'wearing out' after a Thru Hike, and some dogs do better than others.

But the truth is, long distance hiking wears out a dog faster than leaving him/her at home to sleep 20 hours out of 24. If your dog is your pet and part of your family, why would you want to shorten his/her life?

Think about it and if possible, leave your dog at home. (I'm having mine kenneled with friends while I'm on the Trail in 2007 for $200-$250 a month.)

HapKiDo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++