WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

lol....thought I would just wing it....lol.... yes I will bring the rain gear and pants...

Hi All,
    Have you heard of powdered peanut butter? I just got some and it is fantastic. It is by Bell Plantation in Tifton, Georgia - just 2 tablespoons of the powere and wala. The directions are given to make peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Check it out.
    Call: PB2
    Let me know if you like it too?
    Indy Girl
    "Those who wander are not lost."
    "You must be willing to get rid of the life you have planned in order to have the life that is waiting for you." Joseph Campbell

Images

Thinking of getting an MSR Sweetwater

Anyone used one ? - would you recommend it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    If your going to run the whole 2,175 miles I would suggest that you run with a lot less than 30 pounds.

Panzer
    you're (as in "you are")...not your (possessive)

I will just comment on the big issues:
    1. 30 pound skin out weight including food and water is a good target.
    2. 3.6# Backpack - good volume but could lose a pound or two.
    3. 3.0# Sleeping Bag - choice depends on rest of system.
    4. Clothing - This is where I think you need the most work.

Start wearing wool. Always. 8oz in summer. Heavy over that in winter. Start wearing shorts, even in winter. Look for some cheap light nylon jacket and pants, 5oz each for $15 a piece and when you do drop to the ground and thank Jesus.

Wear wool, always?

Orther than maybe a hat, or having blended materials in their socks, most thru-hikers don't have ANYTHING made out of wool.

And 15 bucks for a nylon jacket or wind pants isn't going to get you anything very durable.

I did pack a Pendleton wool shirt. I started in mid March at Springer. It was pretty heavy - collar, pocket, buttons, long tail. I generally wore it in camp, but sometimes it was cold enough to wear while hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Wear wool, always?

Orther than maybe a hat, or having blended materials in their socks, most thru-hikers don't have ANYTHING made out of wool.

And 15 bucks for a nylon jacket or wind pants isn't going to get you anything very durable.
    Nylon is very durable.

Wool is wonderful.

Images

Check out trailjournals.com. You'll find many thru-hikers have listed thier gear and you can see what they've taken, what has worked for them and what hasn't. It's a good place to start.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I suggest staying away from cotton anything and cut back on the clothes a bit. Three pairs of socks are great, hang the wet pair (after washing them)on the outside of your pack and have one in reserve. I'm big on those little
    alcohol stoves, used heet fuel treatment last time and it worked perfect. Also recommend leaving tennis shoes at home and going with a crocks type slip on(take off the back strap for weight). Tyvex house wrap is the best tarp material for using for a groundcloth or as a shelter, it's very light and tuff. Frogg Togg raingear is certainly nice but keep it away from fire, it'll melt easy. I also recommend one of those huge zip locks for a liner for your backpack they work fantastic for keeping stuff dry and you can pull everything out of your pack when you stop for the night allowing you to keep your pack open so the mice can scurry in and out without boring a hole. Just some tips that I hope will help.

sorry I haven't been shecking up on my thread like I should been hiking near Mt Limon....
    I am so glad that I found a place where the people actually help you out.... I do thank you all alot....need to look up the beer can alcohol stove and how to build one.....

Images

Default you wont be under 30lbs with that gear list

Ditch at least 3 pairs of socks, 2 t shirts, must go is the two sweat shirts... , switch tennis shoes for crocs, dont need the compass and I had some maps in areas like MT. Rogers, that have alot of side trials. But if your gonna stay on the AT you dont need a map.

Quote Originally Posted by SMOOTHGINGER View Post
    But if your gonna stay on the AT you dont need a map.
    ALWAYS carry a map for the section you're hiking. In an emergency a map will show you the quickest way to a road and help

But I believe, yes I believe, I said I believe
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf View Post
    ALWAYS carry a map for the section you're hiking. In an emergency a map will show you the quickest way to a road and help
    Seconded, it seems silly and irrational to not carry maps.

Kirby

Images

I carry a little carabiner compass that only weights 6 tenths of an ounce. It attaches to a "D" ring on my pack and I can always see it without taking it off. I think its worth the weight.

Panzer
    (been known to walk in the wrong direction)

LOL.

He's not going to need much of anything seeing as how he plans to speed hike (yellow blaze anyone?) in just 30 days. He can just plan on staying in a hostel every night & just take water & a few snacks. LOL

Images

I was just about to say the same thing...

March NOBO... means cold weather gear...means heavy.

If he'll be arriving in Maine as soon as he thinks he will (April), why not start later and just go with warm weather gear... lots lighter...
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

As in "dessert" not "desert"

Yeah, at that speed, you really don't need to plan on camping out. There's always somewhere to stop for the night without needing a tent or sleeping bag, even if it means squeezing in an extra 10 or 20 miles that day. (Making one 80 or 90 mile day-- so what-- just take it easy the next day and do 50 or 60).

Images

As I see it, he'll be going so fast, the friction alone will keep him warm - no tent, hammock, tarp, rain gear needed LOL

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++