WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Anyone use the trail to detox?

No matter how hard I try to get away from it, being in college and drinking seem to go hand in hand for me. Since I graduate in May and am trying to be a bigger and better person it got me thinking about using the trail as a form of detox. Is there too much peer pressure from other hikers when in towns? Do you think it will be easier to stay away from the parties since I will be going SoBo? Just looking for some input.
    Southern By The Grace of God

Images

Quote Originally Posted by general lee View Post
    No matter how hard I try to get away from it, being in college and drinking seem to go hand in hand for me. Since I graduate in May and am trying to be a bigger and better person it got me thinking about using the trail as a form of detox. Is there too much peer pressure from other hikers when in towns? Do you think it will be easier to stay away from the parties since I will be going SoBo? Just looking for some input.
    Read Obie Reynolds, Dr. Jeckyl, from SOBO '07 trailjournals.com. That might answer your question.
    HAPPY TRAILS TO ALL AND TO ALL A GOOD HIKE!

The only way to quit drinking, smoking, or using other drugs is to stop, and it's an internal thing. There will always be drugs and drug users around, on or off the trail.

Start by not driving/riding a round and drinking. Then move on to step two.

Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    start by not being a douche bag, then move on to step two.

Look in the mirror.

Ok guys, no need to go that route.

I think an honest question was asked, and I think it's good that you took the time to post here General Lee.

You're headed in the right direction, I think it would be great if you went on a hike. What you choose to do out there is up to you
    ad astra per aspera

Look in the mirror.
    im amazed you didnt use the "im made a rubber and your made of glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you" or something similar.

I guess acting like a little kid is cool?
    Last edited by L Tee; 12-10-2007 at 00:37.

Images

STOP NOW! Don't Detoux on trail. After 90 days the trip may a good Subadical. Get support. Water will be an issue. Protein will be another. The mind will play tricks on u at nite. don't stay in towns. choose your friends wisely. eat a lot, a real lot. keep your belly full. sleep alot. don't get lonely. don't get angry. stay calm.
    lonely, angry, tired makes for a bad hiker.
    I just heard this, take it for what it's worth.
    karl

Geezer

You didn't use the think button...
    Frosty

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    You didn't use the think button...
    Does he ever?
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

I didnt use the think button?

Geezer

There is no bad way to try to give up any vice that no longer suits you. Any way that works was a good way, and any way that doesn't work, may work better the second (or third or whatever) time you try it.

Peer pressure is what you make of it. No one is going to tie you down and pour beer down your throat.

You can go into a town and not drink. Many do it. The first step is not go into a bar.

Leaving Katahdin, you will have a couple days when you couldn't drink in you wanted to. Avoid White House Landing and you will have about 8 days before you hit Monson.

By that point you will probably be pretty well physically detoxed, but if you tried to stop before, you must be aware already that the psychological urge is great.

All you can really do is to not drink on the trail at all, and then not drink in Monson, and walk on. Then not drink on the trail, and not drink in the next town.

You can get plenty of help from AA. Check out a meeting now, and maybe by the time you start your hike you'll be better able to meet your goal.

Good luck, and remember the rule of quitting anything, "If you at first you don't succeed, try and try again." You never know which time will take.

Again, good luck.
    Frosty

Read Frosty's post (#10) above
    ad astra per aspera

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    T
    Good luck, and remember the rule of quitting anything, "If you at first you don't succeed, try and try again." You never know which time will take.
    You don't know which time it will kill you, or a member of WB's family. QUIT NOW. YOU ASKED FOR HELP NOW! QUIT. pm me if needed. i will search YOUR area for help.
    Looking Forward to Hiking In 2008
    KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Images

there is a lot of drinking and partying on the trail.

Panzer

Journal Entries
    Images

AA has a saying, "Put the plug in the jug and you'll quit drinking." But to answer your question about the chances of staying sober by going southbound? I would say that you have a better chance of not being that easily persuaded. However, it's up to you to say yes or no. Even now where you are at get in the habit of saying no and being "uncool" to your peers. Don't wait until your in your way past your prime to get on with life.

I think the trail is going to help you tremendously, whether you quit the party or not.........

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    there is a lot of drinking and partying on the trail.

Panzer
    In the relatively little time I've spent on the trail, I've noticed that there is plenty of drinking in Trail towns. I've even come across hikers at shelters smoking marijuana. So the temptation is definitely there. My advice unto thee? If you think that drinking is going to be a potential problem for you, stop now, or at least before you get on the Trail. Taper back, don't drink as much or as often. Peer pressure usually seems to be more of a problem for teenagers and the like. You're getting ready to graduate from college and, to be quite honest, need to man up and put petty things like peer pressure behind you. If you can't be a man, stand up and say "No, I'm not drinking tonight/today/etc." here and now, what makes you think you can do it when you hit the Trail and its towns? Bottom line? With all due respect as a fellow WB member, stop using peer pressure as an excuse for poor choices and do the right thing.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

start by not being a douche bag, then move on to step two.
    you're the one that posted pics of you and your buddy sucking down beers in a vehicle. who's the douchebags?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Do you really think this is a good idea? College student or not, not only is it immature, it's illegal, offensive and pretty #%$@ stupid. The so-called peer pressure crutch can only carry you so far.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++