WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pot Stands

donating member; velo vermont!

Default Pot Stands

a WB member emailed to ask about some pot stands in some photos I posted...

i have a garage full of bike parts... so i made some new potstands that fold flat.

recycled bike spokes, some al. tube from ace.
    playing with orientation and size.

you can pick up old spokes from bike shops, or even buy new ones for pretty cheap. should be able to find old wheels @ thrift stores.
    you can find them in many guages, in stainless, alloy, kevlar, and carbon fiber.
    i think these are stainless. they are from some wheels that date to the late 90's.

in experimenting i found that the spoke nipple acts like a nut to put pressure on the al. tubing and keep everything together. i cut the tubing nearly the same length as the leg, slid it on, and tightened the nipple. the nipples can also be adjusted (prior to using with a stove - the heat tends to gum up the threads if they have spoke prep on them) to level the pot - in case you bent or cut the legs wrong. a standard nipple should be able to correct for 1/16" or slightly more of error.

when creating a tripod with the points down i found that using a full length of tubing works best as the tubing heats up and the 'lock' will slide down.
    when creating a tripod with the points up (under the pot) - a short length of tubing can be used for the 'lock' - giving a visual reminder on where the stand comes apart to fold.

you could also create a 4 legged version.
    these fold flat and fit into my pots.
    the small one works with both pots - snow peak 700 and snow peak 1400 (although i need to be a bit careful with the large pot on the small stand)

Why did i think this thread was going to be about some magical land somehwere in Vermont??

Images

Dang, thats pretty cool! (off to the thrift store tomorrow!)
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Nice job, and thanks for sharing it. Knowing my design skills, I might need more than 1/16" adjustment...

Images

buck, I was worrying about that too, but Im thinking if I put them all into the bench vise together and bend them all at the same time, they should come out even (shouldnt they?)
    ~If you cant do it with one bullet, dont do it at all.
    ~Well behaved women rarely make history.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    buck, I was worrying about that too, but Im thinking if I put them all into the bench vise together and bend them all at the same time, they should come out even (shouldnt they?)
    You would think they would, but I have been known to do the impossible. Especially with plumb, level, square and such!! Dang talented folks...

Quote Originally Posted by buckowens View Post
    You would think they would, but I have been known to do the impossible. Especially with plumb, level, square and such!! Dang talented folks...
    get your wife to do it save yourself if it still bad just say my wife did it

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Why did i think this thread was going to be about some magical land somehwere in Vermont??

of course you are not far from naples, ny... plenty of tree stands and pot stands there for sure. i've seen the tree stands. heard plenty about the pot stands...

i used to live on seneca point road... btw.
    hiked and biked in hi-tor and stid hill many a time.

Quote Originally Posted by buckowens View Post
    Nice job, and thanks for sharing it. Knowing my design skills, I might need more than 1/16" adjustment...
    really easy to make.
    by an old wheel for $2 at the thrift store or a handful of spokes from a bike shop and you'll have plenty to play with.

you can probably get better part of 1/8" out of the spoke threads for adjustment.

Huh, good ideal. I'll have to make one of those.

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default no stand

cool stand, good idea to use spokes, and great work on the design and all, but...........
    I can put my pot on my alcohol stove, no pot stand needed.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post

of course you are not far from naples, ny... plenty of tree stands and pot stands there for sure. i've seen the tree stands. heard plenty about the pot stands...

i used to live on seneca point road... btw.
    hiked and biked in hi-tor and stid hill many a time.
    I just did an overnight in that area this weekend. Tramping through the snow off trail into State Forest Land, dodging hunters and set up a stealth camp.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post
    cool stand, good idea to use spokes, and great work on the design and all, but...........
    I can put my pot on my alcohol stove, no pot stand needed.

Not that there is anything wrong with that!
    i go back and forth between a potscreen / stove with stand / and independent pieces. guess i like to tinker and try out ideas.

Way cool idea on the spokes. I am going to have my students build a simple stove and then test it as one of their thermodynamics labs next term. They are engineers. I want them to get more hands on knowledge so they don't all end up like me. If it also inspires them to spend some time in the woods we all win.

It would be interesting to see how that aluminium tubing holds up over time. Two things might happen: (1) the spokes will warp and corrode and (2) the aluminium tubing will melt and deform.

Quote Originally Posted by dla View Post
    It would be interesting to see how that aluminium tubing holds up over time. Two things might happen: (1) the spokes will warp and corrode and (2) the aluminium tubing will melt and deform.
    so far so good with plenty of test burns from my stove making affliction. i built these about 2 months ago and have been testing stoves as i build them.

i've heated the spokes up red hot (without a pot) and they seem to be doing just fine.

the al. tubing does conform to the spokes - so if they fit really tight the tubing tends to become more ellipse shaped.

NOBO toBennington, VT plus 187 mi in MH & ME
    Images

FYI

I used some bicycle spokes through holes in the wind screen for a pot stand.

with three spokes, They got red hot and sagged (deformed) with the weight of the Heini pot and two cups of water.

It seems like four spokes didn't sag, but memory is a funny thing. So ther you have it. A bit of a caveat.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by teblum View Post
    FYI

I used some bicycle spokes through holes in the wind screen for a pot stand.

with three spokes, They got red hot and sagged (deformed) with the weight of the Heini pot and two cups of water.

It seems like four spokes didn't sag, but memory is a funny thing. So ther you have it. A bit of a caveat.

Tom
    hmm. i have a windscreen / pot stand for my snowpeak 1400 and use 2 spokes. red hot when the pot is not on... no sag after many many stove test burns.

maybe they were alloy and double butted...

Can you show me that al tubing you got from the store. Im curious as to how you got in on the spokes and bent it. I love this design. Seem light and conventional and would like to see how it works with my pot and starlyte.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++